The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Stuart Richardson

Hi Lars,
No, there was no grad nor any other filters. I actually don't even own one! I applied a little in post, but just to restore some shadow detail to the scan.

I am doing the processing in a Jobo CPP-2 with a 3010 expert drum. The chemicals are Fuji's 5L E-6 kit.

I am interested to see your shot!

wjlapier

First time shooting with a Hasselblad. 501CM, 50/4 CF FLE, TriX 320/D76

I have to say I kinda like the square format, and the feel of the camera is growing on me.

Checking the images in preview, they look softer than what is on my computer. hmmm...

Lloyd

First time shooting with a Hasselblad. 501CM, 50/4 CF FLE, TriX 320/D76

I have to say I kinda like the square format, and the feel of the camera is growing on me.

Checking the images in preview, they look softer than what is on my computer. hmmm...
Nice. Are those Hops vines? Where are you?

wjlapier

Nice. Are those Hops vines? Where are you?
Lloyd,
I think those were apples. I'm in what is considered wine country in Washington--Walla Walla. Not sure why they train the trees that way though. Further down the road the trees are straight up.

Lloyd

Lloyd,
I think those were apples. I'm in what is considered wine country in Washington--Walla Walla. Not sure why they train the trees that way though. Further down the road the trees are straight up.
Interesting. Never seen them that way.

Lars

Hi Lars,
No, there was no grad nor any other filters. I actually don't even own one! I applied a little in post, but just to restore some shadow detail to the scan.

I am doing the processing in a Jobo CPP-2 with a 3010 expert drum. The chemicals are Fuji's 5L E-6 kit.

I am interested to see your shot!
OK here we go... These are unedited scans, there is a lot of shadow detail to bring out, but I think they are good enough to make my point. Southern Gotland, 8x10" E100G, Cooke Triple Convertible XVa on both exposures. I find E100G (or Astia) to work best after sunset - the strong colors at dusk means E100VS and Velvia get way too saturated.

What happens long after sunset is that eventually the sky above darkens dramatically, while there's still a strip of twilight in the west. You get a low-contrast side-lighting with a pretty warmth, while the sky above is dark enough to keep overall contrast in check. At this time it's so dark that most photographers have already packed up and gone home. In 8x10 I often get exposure times ranging from 2 to 15 minutes - sometimes I just leave the shutter open until it's pitch dark.

These two are actually shot too early to fully illustrate what I am describing. There's a funni side story here though - the land around this church is used as grazing land by a local farmer, so there were a lot of cows around. I had to work quite hard to keep the cows out of the scene, and from bumping my tripod over.

Stuart Richardson

Lovely shots Lars and William!

Lars -- Thanks for the examples. I think I know what you mean about the light. I will give that a try here sometime. Good job on keeping the cows away!

steflaurent974

Wow LArs and Stuart your large format slides are looking so great , it make me feel I am going to get my Wista 45dx out on the field again with an entire box of Velvia sleeping in the fridge !
William it's been a time I am looking this thread and no matter the camera you are using I can see how brillant you are at showing the complicity with your wife... great portraits , attitudes and moments.
Ysol, beautiful portraits, with great BW richness of tones...

This thread is becoming my favorite of the site, ...I think I am beginning to be tired of pixel peeping !!!

Stephane.

emmawest72

I find this thread to be the best one on getdpi. Fantastic collection of photographs from all over the place and all made on that magical thing called film:)

Thanks a lot to everybody that takes the time to comment on my photos - it is really appreciated.

I'm more into people but once in a while I manage a landscape shot which I'm quite happy about...

Hassy/ 80mm/ HP5 and cropped:

Lloyd

I find this thread to be the best one on getdpi. Fantastic collection of photographs from all over the place and all made on that magical thing called film:)

Thanks a lot to everybody that takes the time to comment on my photos - it is really appreciated.

I'm more into people but once in a while I manage a landscape shot which I'm quite happy about...

:bugeyes::bugeyes::bugeyes:
Fantastic!!!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

This one is a stunner! I'd be happy to view more landscapes from you (and I do enjoy your people photos.)

Lars

Tremendous contrast range... does the neg still have details in the extreme highlights? That's got to be 12-15 stops range right there.

Y Sol

Here's a Lomo shot from 2004 (the one with four plastic lenses) At that time I used the Konica Centuria 800 CN a lot.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Lovely stuff guys! William -- I agree with you there...I think this is my favorite thread here. But I like film, so that makes sense.
Thank you John and Stephane! John -- I definitely am enjoying myself. Now that I am developing my own 4x5 I have a great time with it.