The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The third is a happy accident. I thought at first that it was a photo of Antelope slot canyon, but just not sharp.:D The colors are beautiful.

leif e

Stuart; I was worried you might have fallen INTO some Icelandic magma. Is that a vulcan at the top of #2?

Stuart Richardson

Haha, no Leif, I am fine. Yes, they are all shots of the volcano currently going here. I have some others, but not really done yet. Most are from very far away. It is a 10 hour hike to get to the actual eruption site, and I have not really been up for it. It is crowded with thousands of people, it is freezing, and I don't really think I can get a more original photo than anyone else, so I am steering clear for now. I have been there twice. The first time 3 days after it started, there were only 40 people or so. The next time I went (on the weekend), there were over 1000 people there. That is more than 1/300th the population of the whole nation, so it felt really crowded!

Here is a standard (non-film) shot of the eruption:

sizifo

This doesn't seem to be a good time to post my first attempts with color medium format film, with all the excellent photos above. But anyhow, here are some modest contributions to the best thread on the forums. Kodak Portra 160, Hasselblad 500cm, 80mm

Last edited:

Lloyd

This doesn't seem to be a good time to post my first attempts with color medium format film, with all the excellent photos above. But anyhow, here are some modest contributions to the best thread on the forums. Kodak Portra 160, Hasselblad 500cm, 80mm
Actually, it's a great time!! :thumbup: Excellent shots. Wonderfully detailed, and spot-on color. Very nice... let's see more!

sizifo

Wonderful photos mikel, especially the street painting. The film I shot was VC (vivid color), and this is evident when comparing with yours. The colors are still wonderful I think, I was pleasantly surprised when first viewing them on screen.

I think this is also down to the very professional lab where I took the film. One think I noticed is that you get strange effects if you blow the highlights on skin. May be due to the scanner though.

Incidentally, can anybody recommend particular fuji color films? The guy in the lab had some just expired at half price (forget the type unfortunately).

Stuart Richardson

I highly recommend Astia 100F and Provia 400X, but any of the slide films are good. I am not really much of a fan of color negative, so I will not be able to help you much there...

sizifo

Thanks for the answers... I like the that these scan so well on my cheap scanner (epson 4490). There is a print shop around the corner where I live, and the guy's work is very impressive. He scans on an imacon and prints on some mega epson printer (and is of the opinion that silver prints are still king). However, he said that with medium format film you can get very close with a 100pound epson scanner (in fact some stuff exhibited in his gallery was scanned on an epson). So even though I haven't started printing yet, I would like to keep to a medium for which this is true - and imagine slide film may be more difficult to handle. Is this true?

In any case, as you are an expert on all matters concerning film, I'd be very interested to find why you prefer slide film.

Stuart Richardson

Haha, other than the living near you and having very impressive work thing, it sounds like you are describing me! I am working as a printer and use an X5 and an Epson 9900, but I also think silver prints still look better...not in most quantifiable aspects...just in the overall naturalness and indefinables. Digital prints certainly look great though, and many people prefer them. With medium format you CAN get close with the Epson flatbed, but it takes a lot more effort and post processing, and you will not be able to get the same level of detail, dynamic range and color fidelity (or tonality if you are talking black and white).
Slide film gives you something to work from -- you have the optimum colors right there in front of you, and the color fidelity is better. There is better contrast, saturation and naturalness to their presentation. Dynamic range is far lower, but in the range that it covers, it looks much better than color neg. When you are scanning, it is very useful to have the reference available right in front of you on the lightbox. Furthermore, most scanners have a much easier time dealing with their colors than dealing with the orange mask that all color negs have.
Finally, I find the smaller grain and structure of the grain to be much more appealing in slide film than it is in color negative.
On the downside, it is more difficult to shoot -- exposure must be spot on, and the small contrast range is more difficult to deal with in harsh light situations.

pfigen

Another Mamiya 7, 80mm shot. Urban landscape, West L.A. I was fully across the street on the sidewalk and first the owners wife and then the owner came out yelling at me not to take a picture of their store. When I told the owner I was shooting the sunset and just including his store in the shot, he pointed down the street and said something on the order of "better sunset down the street..." I reminded him politely that I was the photographer here and I would decide where to shoot from.

Provia. Drum scanned on the Howtek 8000.

Lloyd

Another Mamiya 7, 80mm shot. Urban landscape, West L.A. I was fully across the street on the sidewalk and first the owners wife and then the owner came out yelling at me not to take a picture of their store. When I told the owner I was shooting the sunset and just including his store in the shot, he pointed down the street and said something on the order of "better sunset down the street..." I reminded him politely that I was the photographer here and I would decide where to shoot from.

Provia. Drum scanned on the Howtek 8000.
Great shot... glad you went to the trouble.

(I wonder what they had to hide? :D)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I've been away for a few days and missed some excellent photos. Congratulations Stuart, sizifo, mikel and pfigen. I enjoyed all of your photos.

pfigen

Lloyd,

I'm not sure they had anything to hide. I've talked to Korean friends of mine and I get the idea that it's a cultural thing. They were also worried that I was somehow keeping customers from entering their store, but all through the 2 hours I was there, there was a steady stream coming and going, and since I was completely across the street, I didn't notice a single customer paying any attention to me.

There's also a lot of unfounded fear out there in the general public when anyone with a camera points it practically anywhere. I can't tell you how many paranoid people I've run into who think that somehow I'm endangering national security when I'm shooting landscapes, urban or otherwise. Just last week I was confronted by a person in a small Wizard of Oz era courtyard a few blocks from the old MGM lot in Culver City. This woman really thought I might be a terrorist. I spent about 15 minutes talking to her and by the end I think she realized that her little cottage was probably not on a terrorist hit list and if they wanted pictures of it they were already available for free from Google Earth. Not THAT really rattled her.

BTW, I had originally shot this digitally with my Canon, and this is one area where film is still miles ahead of digital. All the neon and street lights blowing out are oh so much nicer on film than the harsh cutoff of digital, so I re-shot with film and like the results much better.

Peter