The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Stuart Richardson

Lovely images Matt! Do you find that contrast is inherent in the Nikon lenses? They always seemed really contrasty to me. I like how it works in these images, but sometimes I find the nikons like Astia better than provia. Mamiya is the same way -- Astia is my E100G and E100G is my velvia in the Mamiya 7!

Maggie -- aren't Konicas great? I am really like the look of your shots. The tones and bokeh are great.
I have just shot a roll in my Konica Hexar AF, and it is making me ask why I don't use it more often? I have a lot more keepers than usual with it....It is such a discreet and easy camera to bring along, and the look is wonderful. Here are some shots I took with it...
These are from a coffee with my friend Lára. Lovely window light there, and the best coffee I have ever had...Icelanders know their coffee. Seriously! Don't ask my why...I guess cold and dark winters demand superior coffee...

Another friend on a drive out in the country. Taken around 11pm if you are thinking about the daylight here...

And finally, this guy always seems to pop up when I am near mirrors. I have no idea who he is, but I like his camera!

Maggie O

Thanks, Stuart! Yeah, Konicas are great! I had a TC and a T4 before I got my Nikon F3 and they were excellent cameras! I especially like the Konica glass- I've yet to find one that is less than outstanding.

Love the set you posted from the Hexar AF- the last two are especially delightful!

Stuart Richardson

Thank you guys!
Here is another photo, but this from a 4x5 with a 1960s Schneider 240mm f/5.5 Tele-Xenar. I have some color versions too that I have not processed yet. I like this one, but it is a bit stern because I told her to stay still. I should have had her look at the camera I think...

I turned around and gave her the Hexar to shoot with, and she took this photo of me and the setup -- it was a gorgeous setting. I will post another photo of it in a moment. Yes, I know I should not raise the column like that...it was on top of a mountain and I did not have a better way to set up the tripod quickly!

Maggie O

Thank you guys!
Here is another photo, but this from a 4x5 with a 1960s Schneider 240mm f/5.5 Tele-Xenar. I have some color versions too that I have not processed yet. I like this one, but it is a bit stern because I told her to stay still. I should have had her look at the camera I think...

I turned around and gave her the Hexar to shoot with, and she took this photo of me and the setup -- it was a gorgeous setting. I will post another photo of it in a moment. Yes, I know I should not raise the column like that...it was on top of a mountain and I did not have a better way to set up the tripod quickly!

Lovely photos of lovely people!

shtarka1

Thank you guys!

Thank you! Here's a few more:

Gentlemen....Bravo!:clap:

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Steve and Maggie!

Dragos -- those Holga shots are great. The ones of the fountain and of the musician are my favorites I think -- they make best use of the sharp/soft dynamic you can get with the Holga. I love the chairlift running through the top of the musician image as well -- it adds a great surrealist touch to the photo...

T

tokengirl

This is great - would be fabulous in color too!

Funny, I was at the mall last night doing some errands and I *almost* bought a Holga at one of the shops. The thing that stopped me was that while they had a big pile of the 35mm version, they only has one of the 120 version and the box was all smashed up and taped together. Since these cameras are not that sturdy to begin with, I passed.

photoSmart42

Dragos -- those Holga shots are great. The ones of the fountain and of the musician are my favorites I think -- they make best use of the sharp/soft dynamic you can get with the Holga. I love the chairlift running through the top of the musician image as well -- it adds a great surrealist touch to the photo...
Thank you! I wasn't quite sure how well the 'focus-by-guess' would turn out, but for most of the shots I took it worked pretty well. I can't wait to take it out again!

photoSmart42

This is great - would be fabulous in color too!

Funny, I was at the mall last night doing some errands and I *almost* bought a Holga at one of the shops. The thing that stopped me was that while they had a big pile of the 35mm version, they only has one of the 120 version and the box was all smashed up and taped together. Since these cameras are not that sturdy to begin with, I passed.
Thank you! :)

I think you should have purchased that smashed up Holga. The allure of these cameras is the unpredictability of the photos they take, and I've read about users who go our of their way to compromise the quality of the camera to introduce those imperfections. I'm not quite there yet with mine :D

I'm going back to the Fair tomorrow night, and taking my Canon F-1 with some Tri-X 400 to take more shots. Had really good success taking it with the 35/2 downtown last time. Also taking my GH1.

Maggie O

That's a good one, Steve! Was it originally color?

Oh, and I'll soon have a companion photo over in the film Leica thread. Heheheheh.