The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Scott, I like the holgaroid photos, peace and not peace. I am wondering if that is fuzz in the top left corner of not peace, or was something flying through the air?

Scott G

Thanks Cindy. Not fuzz, it is either scratches or dust that I am too lazy to remove...I wasn't too careful handling these, I had a bunch of polaroids stacked up on top of each other in the car.

m_driscoll

Let's try a different server....
Jason: Pretty nice! I esp. like this first one. :thumbup:

My first crack at C-41 Development -- Holga with Portra 400NC
Scott: You're a renaissance man! Nicely done. :cool:

Playing around with the image I posted yesterday.
Velvia 100 converted in Nik Silver Efex Pro

Lewis: It converted beautifully. It still has the graduated tones of a color velvia photo.

Hasselblad 500 CM with Portra 400 NC

Scott: Holga to Hasselblad. This is a pretty ominous photo. Excellent geometry. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

T

tokengirl

This afternoon I went somewhere I don't go often - South Beach. Mainly because it takes me 10 minutes to get there and an hour to find a parking spot. :eek:

I took the Horizon Perfekt with me, these were Portra 160NC (I also shot a roll of Fuji Astia, but I have to take that to a real lab - CVS won't touch it).

m_driscoll

The colors are delicious, and Jill looks deep in thought. Nice!
Claire: Thanks. It needed a lot of CS5's spotbrush.

This afternoon I went somewhere I don't go often - South Beach. Mainly because it takes me 10 minutes to get there and an hour to find a parking spot. :eek:

I took the Horizon Perfekt with me, these were Portra 160NC (I also shot a roll of Fuji Astia, but I have to take that to a real lab - CVS won't touch it).

Claire: These are incredible! Your compositions really use the frame. The perspectives all appear relatively natural. Even the third one with the distortion. The mind must somehow compensate. Great color and IQ. $459 camera!

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

T

tokengirl

The perspectives all appear relatively natural. Even the third one with the distortion. The mind must somehow compensate.
Matt,

The swing lens makes the difference here. With a fixed wide angle lens, you get distortion towards the edges, which makes people look funny. But with the swing lens, you are using the middle part of the lens' image circle, so people look normal. I think the mind gives the distorted background a pass when people in the photo look normal.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Great photos. Never heard about the camera. How do you use it? Does it need a tripod or can you use it hand held? I've been dreaming about an Xpan for as long as I can remember (and they seem to get more expensive day by day), but this looks even cooler!

T

tokengirl

Great photos. Never heard about the camera. How do you use it? Does it need a tripod or can you use it hand held? I've been dreaming about an Xpan for as long as I can remember (and they seem to get more expensive day by day), but this looks even cooler!
These shots are all hand held. The camera is totally mechanical, which means no batteries required. It also means no meter. The Sunny 16 rule works perfectly though. It has 7 shutter speeds: 1/500, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 sec. Aperture is f2.8 through f16. The lens is a fixed focal length of 28mm, it is focused at about 10 meters and cannot be changed. So I only shoot it at f16, and everything from about 5 feet to infinity is in focus. It would have been nice if it was focused at 3 meters instead of 10, but I guess you can't have everything. The viewfinder is nice and bright, and it has a bubble level in it (very handy). It also comes with an accessory grip that screws into the bottom left. The idea is that you hold the grip in your left hand and rest your right hand behind the right side of the camera while firing the shutter. It keeps your fingers from ending up in the picture. The only challenge with this camera is loading the film - it can be a royal pain in the butt. Don't try loading it for the first time after you've had a double expresso - calm nerves are required.

The camera is pretty solidly built, and it's a ton of fun to use. People WILL look at you funny though...

Some people may say it's overpriced. I disagree - I think it's an excellent value for what you can get out of it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
These shots are all hand held. The camera is totally mechanical, which means no batteries required. It also means no meter. The Sunny 16 rule works perfectly though. It has 7 shutter speeds: 1/500, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 sec. Aperture is f2.8 through f16. The lens is a fixed focal length of 28mm, it is focused at about 10 meters and cannot be changed. So I only shoot it at f16, and everything from about 5 feet to infinity is in focus. It would have been nice if it was focused at 3 meters instead of 10, but I guess you can't have everything. The viewfinder is nice and bright, and it has a bubble level in it (very handy). It also comes with an accessory grip that screws into the bottom left. The idea is that you hold the grip in your left hand and rest your right hand behind the right side of the camera while firing the shutter. It keeps your fingers from ending up in the picture. The only challenge with this camera is loading the film - it can be a royal pain in the butt. Don't try loading it for the first time after you've had a double expresso - calm nerves are required.

The camera is pretty solidly built, and it's a ton of fun to use. People WILL look at you funny though...

Some people may say it's overpriced. I disagree - I think it's an excellent value for what you can get out of it.
Thank you for the very useful information. Compared to an Xpan, it's certainly not overpriced. If a double espresso is out of the question, a double grappa might just do the trick, don't you think (just back from my favourite Italian restaurant) :p

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Here are a couple with my Rollie 35S scale focus camera Porta 160NC.
Wild flowers at the mill pond

gate wheel at the mill pond f/2.8