The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

dmeckert

first negs back from the lab with the fuji gw690iii. these are the current Ektar...which i really had to wrestle with to get anything resembling proper and vaguely consistent color. scanned with an epson v700 (and i think one was with silverfast, and one with epson scan)

definitely a fun camera...and after 6 rolls...i'm just starting to get used to it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
On a visit to Hanoi and Sapa in Vietnam last week, I decided to take the new to me OM-2n and a few rolls of b&w film with me in addition to the GH1. This is the first time since I went digital 6 years ago that I've taken film "seriously". I shot one roll per day, and here are some of the results from the first two rolls I've looked through, both Ilford HP5, all shot with the OM-2 with Zuiko lenses 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/2.0 macro and 100mm f/2.8.

HP5 has a lot of character, and it's interesting to notice how sloppy I've become, particularly with regards to exposure. Digital is very forgiving, but this film takes no hostages in that respect. I'm either in or out.

First from Hanoi:

And two from Sapa

More to come

Lloyd

On a visit to Hanoi and Sapa in Vietnam last week, I decided to take the new to me OM-2n and a few rolls of b&w film with me in addition to the GH1. This is the first time since I went digital 6 years ago that I've taken film "seriously". I shot one roll per day, and here are some of the results from the first two rolls I've looked through, both Ilford HP5, all shot with the OM-2 with Zuiko lenses 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/2.0 macro and 100mm f/2.8.

HP5 has a lot of character, and it's interesting to notice how sloppy I've become, particularly with regards to exposure. Digital is very forgiving, but this film takes no hostages in that respect. I'm either in or out.

More to come
Terrific set, Jorgen. Really fine work. :salute:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Mike and Lloyd. Much appreciated.

This whole process has totally changed my view upon film as a medium. I'll try to convert my thoughts into words if I have time during the weekend.

leif e

Just spent a couple of weeks in the mountains (central Norwegian). Not even halvway there with scanning. Still; a couple of samples. First some Acros 100 in Rodinal 1+50. Then (the foggy ones) two taken on Portra 160 (conversion in Efex Pro). All: FM2n, 2,8/55 Micro-Nikkor AI or Nikkor 2,8/135 AI.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Konica VX400 Monochrome film, and old favourite. This is from the last roll, 6 years past the date. A very robust film that could be dropped off at any colour minilab since it was made for colour processing and printing.

OM2 with Zuiko 28mm f/2.8

jbcrane

Just spent a couple of weeks in the mountains (central Norwegian). Not even halvway there with scanning. Still; a couple of samples. First some Acros 100 in Rodinal 1+50. Then (the foggy ones) two taken on Portra 160 (conversion in Efex Pro). All: FM2n, 2,8/55 Micro-Nikkor AI or Nikkor 2,8/135 AI.
Leif-this is beautiful.

jbcrane

Jorgen,
These are beautiful. The tonal range you've preserved is very rich and deep. Compositionally I especially like the depth of #2 (Definite Privacy), the entry points and depth leading into the figure in #3 (Infinite Parking), and the human interest and that wet foreground reflection in #5 (Back Alley Jam). All great examples of continued 35mm relevance. Well done.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks John and Steve. There will be more film work from me in the future. Shooting film adds another, for me partly forgotten, dimension to photography, and the results are distinctly different from images shot digitally.