The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

jbcrane

A few years back, for an anniversary/birthday/fathers day gift, I gave my father a Leica digital camera. A few years after that, for my birthday, he gracious bestowed on me his old, Canon FD kit. It might not fetch much on the market today, but this is the kit I grew up admiring and it meant the world to me. Since that day it has largely sat unused in the old Lowe Pro bag, and occasionally just for grins I've peeked into the auctions with the dream of building this kit out. I finally took the AE-1 out last Friday, the Canon 50mm 1:1.4 FD mounted, TMAX loaded, and had an absolute blast. Upon scanning, a big smile spread across my face. Those old FD lenses still got it. Manual focus and all.

I'm having so much fun picking up old classics like the 35-105/3.5 for a scant $50, that I grabbed a beautiful A-1 and plan on integrating this vintage gear into my shooting schedule right along side my contemporary Nikon's. What a great time to be a camera freak ;-).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jorgen, Wonderful photos. The photo "Willtribe Future" is very haunting and powerful.
Leif, Your mountain is beautiful in that light.
Mike, Beautiful tones from the Hassy.
Scott, Love the photo of the pipe in the old garage.
JBCrane, What a great story about bringing out your Dad's gear and enjoying it so much. Photo looks wonderful.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Beautiful tones in that photo, John.

Yes, the old lenses still work. It's often easier to work with an F6, but one of the beauties of film is that all the research and all the improvements that have gone into the medium also applies to cameras as old as Methuselah.

jbcrane

Jorgen, Wonderful photos. The photo "Willtribe
JBCrane, What a great story about bringing out your Dad's gear and enjoying it so much. Photo looks wonderful.
Thanks Cindy.

Yes, the old lenses still work. It's often easier to work with an F6, but one of the beauties of film is that all the research and all the improvements that have gone into the medium also applies to cameras as old as Methuselah.
Thanks Jorgen... it's an interesting exercise to run the new emulsions through the old glass... and be able to really spot the technical improvements in the more contemporary images. The old adage that 35mm film has never been better - while digital cameras "continue to improve..." leaves me extremely glad I've continued with film... I feel it has really hit a zenith and creative potential is vast. Digital's going to finally reach the top of the mountain only to have film greet it with, "what took you so long?" Great fun.

jbcrane

Three from Sapa, Vietnam. All on Ilford Delta 100. Unfortunately, my old, trashy scanner can't show all the fine detail in this film, not even close.

Jorgen, these are terrific. I especially like the second and third. The second reminds me of the Bresson image, "Juvisy, France 1938" where they're sitting on the hillside, picnicing (from the looks of it), with a boat in the water below, at top of frame. I like the cow.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, these are terrific. I especially like the second and third. The second reminds me of the Bresson image, "Juvisy, France 1938" where they're sitting on the hillside, picnicing (from the looks of it), with a boat in the water below, at top of frame. I like the cow.
Thank you, John. That is not a cow btw, it's a water buffalo. They are surprisingly agile climbers those beasts :)

seakayaker

Hasselblad 500 CM and 100mm

Acros 100

Beautiful portrait, ReeRay, under what seems to be rather challenging lighting. Did you find Acros 100 her in Thailand? I've always wanted to try that film.
Ray, Masterful shot Of A Dear, Wise Man!
Beautiful, Jorgen! Serious, thoughtful.
I also like the ´blad/Acros portrait, ReeRay.
leif e
+4! Beautiful capture ReeRay! Love the sharp lines and clarity, a wonderful shot!

seakayaker

Three from Sapa, Vietnam. All on Ilford Delta 100. Unfortunately, my old, trashy scanner can't show all the fine detail in this film, not even close.

OM-2 with Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 Macro

These really are terrific, Jorgen. I love the subtle tonalities, but what I really love is that first shot. Priceless and timeless all at once.
Jorgen, Outstanding!!!
Excellent Jorgen and that scanner looks fine to me.
Beautiful, Jorgen! Serious, thoughtful.
I also like the ´blad/Acros portrait, ReeRay.
leif e
Jorgen, your recent series of shots have just been incredible. Reportage/travel photography at its best. As jbcrane mentioned, they show the continued relevance of 35mm as a medium (I had half given up on it). I only wish I could milk that kind of quality out of the small neg as well as you.
+++++6!

Love the VietNam series Jorgen! Wonderful portraits, street/family captures and landscapes!

seakayaker

seakayaker

+++3! Love the detail, DOF, and light & shadows in the photograph!

seakayaker

Scott, some powerful pictures of the prison! Love the detail, grit, & darkness in these shots it certainly brings out the sense of gloom today and in a past state.