The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Beautiful work, Araakii. Great clarity and sharpness. Out of curiosity, which medium format camera system and lenses are you using here? Whatever it is, it looks pretty damn impressive.

leif e

Last evening in Cadiz, at sundown, tide going out.

As always these days: FM2n, Micro-Nikkor 2,8/55, AristA/TRI-X IN XTOL 1+1

Araakii

Beautiful work, Araakii. Great clarity and sharpness. Out of curiosity, which medium format camera system and lenses are you using here? Whatever it is, it looks pretty damn impressive.
Hi - thank you for your comment.

I am using the Fuji GF670 with fixed 80mm lens. I wanted the Mamiya 7II initially but decided to get the GF670 for its portability and look. Also it's probably the newest medium format camera in the market?

FredBGG

Not Available
I use a Fuji GX680. it's a 6x8cm format with tilt and shift on all the lenses.
Sort of a blend between a regular medium format slr and a 4x5 camera.

Here is a fiend trying one of mine out.

Here are a few examples I shot with it.

I even like to do rough developing to get grainy images, but that sharpness and 3Dish look of large MF

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Fred, Holy cow!:eek: Beautiful camera and fantastic shots. The detail is amazing. My favorite is the last one of the guy and the Mustang for the rugged look, but the lady in the second photo is exquisite.

FredBGG

Not Available
Fred, Holy cow!:eek: Beautiful camera and fantastic shots. The detail is amazing. My favorite is the last one of the guy and the Mustang for the rugged look, but the lady in the second photo is exquisite.
Thanks!

Yes the detail on the Fuji GX680 is wonderful.

Here is a crop from the second image from the same negative.

Brilliant lenses. Best of all is they all have tilt and shift allowing great control of focus. You can shoot wide open and have two subjects in focus on different planes.

This is a crop. Here the focus is normal without using tilt.

Here I used the tilt function to keep both ladies in focus., but notice how the bokeh on the background is still smooth.

Here are the full frames:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Exceptional portraits, amazing work!

The GX680 has always been the ultimate medium format camera in my view, and part of the reason for not entering that format. It's been kind of "GX680 or nothing". They are still relatively expensive, not to speak about the size and weight. Does a camera, viewfinder and three lenses fit into anything resembling a normally sized camera bag?

Edit: Checked the prices of used GX680. Either they have come down a bit or I'm getting used to higher prices... interesting. I haven't seen the viewfinder that is fitted on your camera before. What's it called and how does it differ from the other viewfinders for the GX680?

Last edited:

FredBGG

Not Available
Exceptional portraits, amazing work!

The GX680 has always been the ultimate medium format camera in my view, and part of the reason for not entering that format. It's been kind of "GX680 or nothing". They are still relatively expensive, not to speak about the size and weight. Does a camera, viewfinder and three lenses fit into anything resembling a normally sized camera bag?

Edit: Checked the prices of used GX680. Either they have come down a bit or I'm getting used to higher prices... interesting. I haven't seen the viewfinder that is fitted on your camera before. What's it called and how does it differ from the other viewfinders for the GX680?
That viewfinder is the AE III finder. It gives you auto exposure.
Optically it is the best medium format finder. No others come close to it for clarity magnification and eyepiece. Whenever I let someone look through it they all say how damn good it is.

I don't use either the meter or the AE function in it. I just love the clarity.

After using it I find Mamiya and Hasselblad pentaprisms to be murky in comparison.

It's a hard viewfinder to find.

mathomas

I use a Fuji GX680. it's a 6x8cm format with tilt and shift on all the lenses.
Sort of a blend between a regular medium format slr and a 4x5 camera.

Here is a fiend trying one of mine out.

I even like to do rough developing to get grainy images, but that sharpness and 3Dish look of large MF

These are all really phenomenal. I feel like I probably get that sort of resolution with my Hasselblad, but I don't have the proper scanner to extract it from the negative. What scanner are you using?

mathomas

I have started a new "project" for myself: making portraits of strangers in the street. One frame. I'm doing it to improve my technique, and to do something that takes me (way) out of my comfort zone. Here are my first attempts. All shot with Hasselblad. Click through for camera/lens/film/exposure info.

street portrait: bob by mike thomas, on Flickr

street portrait: matt by mike thomas, on Flickr

street portrait by mike thomas, on Flickr

street portrait: ghugi by mike thomas, on Flickr

street portrait: sam by mike thomas, on Flickr

FredBGG

Not Available
These are all really phenomenal. I feel like I probably get that sort of resolution with my Hasselblad, but I don't have the proper scanner to extract it from the negative. What scanner are you using?
These were all scanned with the Epson v750, but it really helps that the negatives are large 6x8cm.

mathomas

These were all scanned with the Epson v750, but it really helps that the negatives are large 6x8cm.
Yeah, I get the large negative thing (I have a Fuji 6x9cm, so checkmate :)). However, it still comes down to the scanner's ability to capture the neg's resolution. Your scanner seems to be doing a great job. My Canon 9000F doesn't do nearly so well, I think.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Mike, Are you doing a "100 strangers project"? I have been thinking about starting one this winter. Your portraits are all very nice. My favorite is the guy with the Wendy's cup.

mathomas

Mike, Are you doing a "100 strangers project"? I have been thinking about starting one this winter. Your portraits are all very nice. My favorite is the guy with the Wendy's cup.
Cindy, I must have been inspired by hearing about it because that sounds familiar. However I'm not much for following rules like "one a day", or a particular number. I just thought to myself, "that sounds like a good idea -- I should start shooting some street portraits". However, now that you've mentioned it, I'll look into it and try to understand more about the project idea.

Thanks for your comments. I've been pretty happy with every frame so far.