The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

chrism

I wanted to try out the Fuji GW690III today, and to see if Diafine would work in the Rondinax 60 tank (getting solutions in and out is rather slow - you have to dribble them in). Of course the Diafine made the Tri-X grainy, even at ISO800 rather than the usual 1250-1600 recommended for Diafine. I think I'll stick to HC-110 for fast films and save the Diafine for slower ones. We're still waiting for the rest of the glass on the new back deck:

I know, should have used a yellow filter, but I don't have one that big!

Chris

biglouis

It can possibly be claimed that the Fuji GX680 isn't ideal for street photography and strictly speaking, it's a slight overkill. But... people change when they're confronted with the beast. I get kind of noticed and I get a different kind of portraits. A very interesting experience. I'll do more of this.

These two photos are from my first couple of rolls with the camera, so please have patience with me. I haven't shot MF since I sold my Rolleiflex Baby more than 10 years ago. That was a somewhat smaller camera :ROTFL:

GX680IIIs with 180mm f/5.6 @ f/22, Acros 100

GX680IIIs with 65mm f/5.6 @ f/22, Acros 100

Oh... and I need a new scanner. The almost 10 year old Epson 3200 isn't up to this at all :(
Jorgen, love the tones - adds to the tranquil feeling of the scenes. Big negs are the best, imho but toting that thing you really are going to stand out!

Great work, keep it up

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Louis.

Well composed stream with beautiful greens.

For the occasions when I can't carry the big Fuji around, I'm buying a GF670. There's a second hand one available in a shop here. I handled it a few days ago, and it's such an amazingly compact camera considering the format. Just need to count my pennies :)

biglouis

Thanks, Louis.

Well composed stream with beautiful greens.

For the occasions when I can't carry the big Fuji around, I'm buying a GF670. There's a second hand one available in a shop here. I handled it a few days ago, and it's such an amazingly compact camera considering the format. Just need to count my pennies :)
I keep thinking about a GF670 as well. What I'd really like is the new wide angle version but it is ridiculously expensive!

Louis

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I keep thinking about a GF670 as well. What I'd really like is the new wide angle version but it is ridiculously expensive!

Louis
Ah bugger... someone snapped the GF670. Lack of communication at the shop. Oh well... I'll find another one later, but this one was like new. Maybe buy a DP2 Merrill while I'm waiting :D

biglouis

Ah bugger... someone snapped the GF670. Lack of communication at the shop. Oh well... I'll find another one later, but this one was like new. Maybe buy a DP2 Merrill while I'm waiting :D
Keep your eye on ebay? A number have come up at a fair price.

Best of luck

Louis

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, guys. Acros is almost too nice. I'll have to do some digging into the more grainy and/or contrasty stuff as well.

Here's another one on Acros, 65mm this time:

PatrickCheung

it amazes me how much detail you all get out of each image, and how clean and grain free each photo is! Is it my film choice, scanning technique, exposure, or developing technique that gets me such grainy photos?!

Anyway, a straight copy from the Digital M Thread :) These were shot on a Yashica T4 (in Vancouver) and a Contax T2 (in Toronto) with Kodak Gold 400 (the only colour film I could afford at the time)

Hey all!

I'm incredibly behind but I definitely like what I see, as usual :p

In the past week I've moved from Vancouver BC, to Markham ON, to Cambridge ON... packed, unpacked, packed, and unpacked. My summer's pretty much come to an end, school is starting in a week.

I was asked if I regret anything, or if I was satisfied this Summer. I tried really hard to think about something I regret... but I couldn't find anything. I'm more than satisfied with what I've done this summer, and can confidently say that I've done everything, and more than, what I wanted to do.

Not much else to say :)

These are the photos from my last week of summer :) We started it off at a resort on the Vancouver Islands, came back to Vancouver to pack, a few days in Toronto (one on the Toronto Islands, riding quadricycles with my family and Hillary's) :p Our parents met... they seem to like each other lots :)

The first few photos from the resort are taken with the Yashica T4, the ones in Toronto are taken with my new Contax T2 :)

SONAR IS SO COOL :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Patrick,
It's mostly about the camera. My latest postings here are made with a Fuji GX680 medium format camera. Much, much larger negatives (6x8 cm). If you want less grain in 35mm, try Kodak Ektar 100 for colour or Ilford Pan F Plus 50 for b&w. Apart from that, another great series of photos from you. Keep the flow running :thumbs:

Here's another one from me. 05.30 in the morning, and the monk came out, wondering what I was doing with that big thing on a tripod outside his temple. I said I was waiting to take his portrait :)

GX680 and Acros again

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,

I agree, your photos have a great amount of detail and clarity-just fantastic! Can you share your process?
Thanks a lot. Ok, I will try.

To start with, I'm a rather slow, elaborate photographer. When shooting street, I usually take time to get to know the area and let people getting used to my presence, synchronise my heartbeat with theirs so to say. When I shoot with the GX680, I always use a tripod (I am considering buying an MF camera that is more suitable for handheld shooting, either a Fuji GF670 folder or something with autofocus, like a Rolleiflex 6000 series or Hy6). With the F6 or other 35mm cameras, I always use lenses with wide apertures, f/1.8 or wider, to get fast shutter speeds.

My scanner is just an old Epson 3200 which I will upgrade with a Better Scanning film holder soon and possibly some better software than the standard Epson one.

Post processing is rather simple, and done in 2 or 3 steps (the scanner software I use doesn't output RAW files, so this is all done in Photoshop):

- If exposure is off, I usually adjust levels rather than exposure since I feel it gives more flexibility.

- Contrast and brightness is adjusted using curves. Curves is an amazingly powerful tool, and it's something I use in almost every photo I publish.

- The last step is sharpening. If the photo isn't perfectly sharp, I sharpen the full res photo using USM and a large radius (usually 1.5 to 2.5) and a moderate amount, usually 40-80. After reducing to web size, I practically always sharpen for web using USM again, but this time radius is 0.2 to 0.5 (photos with much detail, particularly portraits, get the smaller diameter) while the amount is increased to somewhere between 70 and 120, usually towards the lower end of that range. (These rules do not apply for printing, which is a completely different ballgame.)

Sometimes, photos give a different visual impression when presented at a smaller size, and there's a need to boost brightness and/or contrast. If that is the case, I simply use the Brightness/Contrast tool to enhance either.

I never use noise reduction on scanned images, since I see grain as a natural part of the final image when using film, but likewise, I never enhance grain. Choosing the right film for the occasion is important.

Did this contribute to anything?