The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Lloyd

Nice sets of portraits, Godfrey. Too bad about the issues with the film in the second set, but I agree, the images work anyway.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I really like these Godfrey, especially this one.
In case people not familiar with the Impossible Project are wondering what is happening, the film has 3 pods in the bottom of the film, which burst open and release chemicals as the rollers go over them. In this case, the middle pod must have dried out somewhat, and there was not enough developer to reach the top. Those patches are undeveloped area. It is totally the fault of the film and the photographer has no control over it.

I love the quirkiness and imperfection of the whole Polaroid experience.

The Polaroid project continues ...

Two sets of portraits made at gatherings of friends are now posted.

DunderParty 2013:
DunderParty 2013 - a set on Flickr

Pancake Breakfast 2013:
Pancake Breakfast 2013 - a set on Flickr

The Impossible PX-70 Silver Shade Cool film pack I used at the Pancake Breakfast had some issues, but I like what I got out of it anyway. :)

Thanks for looking! Comments appreciated.

G

Godfrey

I really like these Godfrey, especially this one.
In case people not familiar with the Impossible Project are wondering what is happening, the film has 3 pods in the bottom of the film, which burst open and release chemicals as the rollers go over them. In this case, the middle pod must have dried out somewhat, and there was not enough developer to reach the top. Those patches are undeveloped area. It is totally the fault of the film and the photographer has no control over it.

I love the quirkiness and imperfection of the whole Polaroid experience.
Thanks, Cindy! I do too.

Once I saw the fault happening, I started to frame differently to avoid it. Eh, if it's a bug, turn it into a feature. ;-)

Another Polaroid came my way while I was there: a One600, their last 600 series design. A very nice camera! I have to get some film for it...

G

Godfrey

Polaroid Land 350 + Fuji FP-3000b

Took a bit of work, but I'm glad I've got this camera working now. Aesthetically, the Spectra and SX-70 results fit together better, but this camera with the Fuji color and black&white films produces its own charming qualities.

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

G

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Nice result from the "new" Polaroid. I have been tempted by a converted 250, myself. The Fuji film is cheaper and more reliable, but the Impossible Project film still has its charm to me. Is this one as much fun to use as the SX-70?

Godfrey

Nice result from the "new" Polaroid. I have been tempted by a converted 250, myself. The Fuji film is cheaper and more reliable, but the Impossible Project film still has its charm to me. Is this one as much fun to use as the SX-70?
Thanks. :)

They're both fun to use, but so very different both in operation and in the way they see.

With the SX-70, you see more accurately what you're focusing and framing, and of course the integral film means you just nip the print as it's coming out of the camera, stuff it in your pocket or bag, and keep going. The camera folds up smaller and is a bit lighter.

With the Land 350, it's a great big beast of a thing folded and even bigger deployed for use. The RF seems very accurate despite the rather inaccurate feel of the focusing mechanism. Then there's the whole pull tab, pull film, keep it safe for a minute or so, peel apart and protect the slightly sticky surface of the print while you fold and discard the gooey transfer negative packet.

People you're photographing get very entertained either way. With the Fuji films, they get to see their print in about a minute or so, with the Impossible Color Protection film, it's more like 35 minutes. That changes the interaction between you and the subject.

The Land 250 is probably a better bet than the Land 350 I have. I had to remove the film pack pressure spring (it's designed for the Polaroid film packs, which have a metal back that distributes the pressure; the Fuji packs just deform and jam with it) as well as remove the 350's electronic print timer (it occludes some of the space in the film bay, which clears the Polaroid film pack but not the Fuji ... another 'squeeze the film pack and the film jams' situation). Once removed, you've essentially turned the 350 into a 250.

Really, I'd like a Land 195, but they go for big bux (Tokinon f/3.8 lens with mechanical shutter and aperture control ... not willing to spend $600-900 for one of these beasties. Yet anyway. ;-)

I think my favorite and the best overall performance for my purposes are the Spectra SE/Spectra Pro cameras. A bit bigger than the SX-70 but easier to handle, flexible enough through the lens accessories available, and integral film for ease of handling and shooting, less wastage to deal with. But the pack film does have its own nice imaging qualities.

Too many fun options. I may just have to get a couple of Instax cameras too.

G

Godfrey

Latest in my "Polaroid A Day" project.

Polaroid SX-70 + Impossible Color Protection

G

PSon

Latest in my "Polaroid A Day" project.

Polaroid SX-70 + Impossible Color Protection

G

I really like this set of polaroid photos. I myself have recently gone back to shoot polaroid as well. Here is an example taken with the Mamiya 80mm F1.9 on the Pentax 67 body and polaroid back.