The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

chrism

Very nice, Chris. At web size and compression it's hard to tell the Pentax from the Fuji from the M7. Which do you most enjoy shooting with?

John
Thank you, John. I'd have to say the M7 not just for the sheer slickness of the build and operation, but also the sense of having actually done some work to make the image. But as my eyes get older I begin to understand the attraction of autofocus. Looking at prints, the Bessa III probably turns out the best quality of all.

Chris

chrism

Nikon F6, 85mm/f1.8, TMax 400 in TMax developer, Imacon 848 scans:

And the keeper of the roll:

Chris

chrism

I finally got to try XP2 @200 in a Rodinal stand development. For the record:
Presoak 3 minutes
6ml Rodinal in 600ml water, roughly 20ºC
Inversions for first 30 seconds
Stand 30 minutes
One inversion
Stand 30 minutes
Fix and wash as usual

I'm very pleased with the smoothness and lack of visible grain. Even at 100% crops there's only subtle grain.

Both Nikon F6, Nikkor 85mm @ f1.4, XP2 @ 200, Imacon 848 scans.

I'm going to try the next one in Diafine after exposure at 200. I found some examples on the web that look just as smooth as with Rodinal.

Chris

da_eltsch

So many excellent pictures in this thread. I really like the portrait series!!!

Here are some of my newly scanned positivs:

View attachment 80248

Beautiful Corvette caught with a Gaoersi Panorama Camera (Crop from 6x14), Schneider Super Angulon 90 mm, handheld on a rest area at the Washington Pass next to the North Cascades Highway. (Velvia)

View attachment 80249

Lighthouse on Hilton Head Island, Mamiya 645 and 55mm or 80 mm (Velvia)

View attachment 80251
Garden at the "Kloster Frauenberg", a monestary inside the city limits of Fulda / Germany .... and yes on our way back home we got caught by the black clouds above us ... and pretty wet ;) , Rollei SLX, 80 mm (Fuji Superia)

View attachment 80250
Parking lot, "Stadthalle" / Event hall in Braunschweig/Germany, quite some distorsion removed, Mamiya 645, 55mm

Hosermage

It's an experiment that took 3 months to complete. My father-in-law gave me his Rollei SL66 last year and I decided to give it try, having never shot film before. Had to send the camera in for service in the middle of my first roll (mirror lock up), and only got it back about a month ago. Finally, sent the first 3 rolls in to be developed and got the negatives back today, just to find out that the cheap scanner I bought really sucks :p Oh well, here are some of the results:

ReeRay

A good film to use is Ilford XP2 - very easy to scan, almost grain free and can be developed as C41 which the local D+P can run through. Expose it at ISO 200 for best results.

The SL66 is a fine camera capable of some wonderful images and well worth preservering with. As I write I'm scanning XP2 shot on my Rollei 6002 and the images look beautiful.

A good scanner for MF is the Epson V700/750 flatbeds, which are not too expensive.

Hope this helps and look forward to more from your film voyage

Ray

J

JohnW

That's a good start, David. Makes your M9 workflow look so easy, doesn't it? I did not want to spring for either Epson scanner and went instead for a Canon 9000f. It seem plenty adequate for medium format and is much cheaper. I use it with Vuescan and find the combination fine for the relatively small quantity of film I shoot. There are more variables in the film workflow and any weak link compromises everything. But we've got to draw the line somewhere.

John

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That's a good start, David. Makes your M9 workflow look so easy, doesn't it? I did not want to spring for either Epson scanner and went instead for a Canon 9000f. It seem plenty adequate for medium format and is much cheaper. I use it with Vuescan and find the combination fine for the relatively small quantity of film I shoot. There are more variables in the film workflow and any weak link compromises everything. But we've got to draw the line somewhere.

John
One of the problems with the Canon scanner is that the film holder doesn't hold the film flat, and the height can't be adjusted for correct focus. You can probably improve your results by using an adjustable film holder with glass plates, like the one from Betterscan, Custom film holders for Agfa, Microtek, Canon and Epson film scanners.

Hosermage

That's a good start, David. Makes your M9 workflow look so easy, doesn't it?
Thanks, John. It sure does. For now, I'm just enjoying the process of taking greater care before pressing the shutter button and teaching myself to be more aware of the exposure settings. I find it difficult to get the horizon near flat as I'm hand holding the camera.

Definitely returning the scanner I bought from Costco and looking to give the Epson V600 a try. I think once I can get a decent scan from the negatives, it'll make the work seems worthwhile. My father-in-law also gave me a tall developing tank with 3 film holders, so I'll give that a try later this year :p

J

JohnW

J

JohnW

Thanks, John. It sure does. For now, I'm just enjoying the process of taking greater care before pressing the shutter button and teaching myself to be more aware of the exposure settings. I find it difficult to get the horizon near flat as I'm hand holding the camera.

Definitely returning the scanner I bought from Costco and looking to give the Epson V600 a try. I think once I can get a decent scan from the negatives, it'll make the work seems worthwhile. My father-in-law also gave me a tall developing tank with 3 film holders, so I'll give that a try later this year :p
Good luck with your film adventure. My mother-in-law gave me her Rollei TLR, which I've been using. The ground glass has grid lines, so no problem with horizons. But I'm leaning more toward 35mm and just ordered a Leica CL to give that a try. I think 35 may better suits my interest. Having 3X more shots per roll is also appealing. I guess I'm not ready to slow down THAT much.

John