The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Shashin

Stitched panos the old-fashion way. Wista VX, 135mm lens, Rollei 6x6 roll-film back. Two consecutive images on one strip of film using the shift on the view camera.

Godfrey

Impossible Project has made available a new emulsion, the Cyanographic 600. This film records and processes an image as an all monochrome, cyan-based rendering. I bought a few packs to experiment with.

First attempts were with my Polaroid One600 camera. I got a couple of interesting exposures but this camera is permanently flash-on and has no adjustability.

So I fitted a pack into my SX-70 yesterday. I've got the ND filter to allow me to use 600 film packs in this camera. However, I discovered that the best exposures were obtained by leaving the filter off and cranking the light/dark control all the way to the darken side of the range. With the SX-70, I can adjust focus, lighten the image, put the camera on a tripod, and shoot sans flash ... perfect.

No time to scan any photos just at the moment, but I captured this example with The Impossible Project app on my iPad mini:

I like the delicacy of the tones and the cyan rendering. I think I'll order another six pack of Cyanographic 600 while they still have it. :)

G

chrism

Rolleiflex 2.8GX, Tri-X @400, TMax developer, Imacon 848 scans:

A new brewery is opening up ~100m from my house. I might just be in heaven!

The last two with a Rolleinar 1:

Chris

Hosermage

From my recent roll... Not sure what the dark vertical line is (about 1/3 from the left), it's visible in some shots then disappears from some on the same roll.

Godfrey

From my recent roll... Not sure what the dark vertical line is (about 1/3 from the left), it's visible in some shots then disappears from some on the same roll.

I see the vertical band most in this exposure. There are other vertical bands in it too. I applied some tweaked curves to bring them out for illustration:

Applying the same curves to the photo of your boy shows nothing like this.
I wonder if it's a scanner artifact ... examine the negatives carefully!

G

Hosermage

Hi Godfrey, thanks for checking, but I do see them on the negatives. If I recall, I saw a few shots with them in the previous rolls too. Do you think if could be some sort of light leak? I get a sense that I only see them in out door bright sun shots, so maybe it's caused by advancing film in bright light without lens cover?

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey, thanks for checking, but I do see them on the negatives. If I recall, I saw a few shots with them in the previous rolls too. Do you think if could be some sort of light leak? I get a sense that I only see them in out door bright sun shots, so maybe it's caused by advancing film in bright light without lens cover?
Well, if it was light striking the film, it would be dark streaks on the negs and bright streaks in the print. So I doubt it's due to a light leak.

Check your film again ... Do the streaks roll through several adjacent frames? on one roll only or on both? The film moves vertically through the film holder in the SL66, the shutter curtains move vertically too ... if it were unevenness in the shutter operation, the bands would be horizonal on the negative, at ninety degress to the direction of the shutter movement, not vertical bands.

The most likely cause is uneven processing in a roller processing machine. Unevenly wetted transport rollers tend to cause bands in the direction that the film is being transported through the processor. (Dip and dunk machines can also cause banding along the film but it's very very rare.) Transport rollers that are out of round or have grit in them lay periodic light or dark spots or bands across the film as it moves though the machine.

(I worked for a photofinisher for a couple of years in the early 1980s. All of these problems surface from time to time as processing machines age and wear takes its toll... !)

G

Hosermage

It appears through adjacent frames, though not the entire roll. I think I will try another processing place next time. I do have a stainless tank with some 120 holders... :p That'll be adventures for later.

Godfrey

Acquired the seemingly rather rare self-timer accessory for the SX-70, and also bought an Impossible Project electronic flash to replace the flashbar. Also ordered a couple of the new IP 600 B&W. So I decided to test it in the SX-70 ... The flash has a low power setting for use with 600 film in the SX-70:

That's with the exposure control on the neutral setting. I did an ambient light test and found that setting the exposure control all the way to Darken produces proper exposure too.

I like this new IP 600 B&W film. It has a different feel from the older Silver Shade Cool and Plus films.

G

topoxforddoc

Before the hair falls out...

My Brother-in-law before his chemotherapy starts. Taken on Monday. Fingers and toes crossed!
Rolleiflex 3.5F, Fuji Acros 100, XTOL 1:1