The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Godfrey

chrism,

these portraits are slightly over the line of uncomfortably close to my eye. just a hair too much foreshortening distortion for my tastes.

chrism

Yes, I know what you mean. Another issue for me is the DOF with the Rolleinar on is so thin - leading to some obvious problems with a couple of the later ones. I shall probably leave it off in future, but having got one I felt obliged to try it out!

Chris

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lovely girl and portrait, Martin. I had a look at your galleries as well. Lots of goodness :) What's the technique/pp used in the California Dreaming series?

Thank you, Jorgen :)

Good question. They were all taken with a Nikon D700; the "straight" ones with the 24-70mm lens, the "blurry" ones with a Carl Zeiss Jena 120mm (if I remember correctly) and a tilt adapter.
The post was mainly done with Color Efex 3. Unfortunately, I can't install it anymore since Google took over NIK, but I would guess I added some contrast with the "pro contrast" filter, and used one of the film simulations with very large grain.
On top of that I added a fill layer with patter that looks a bit like dried mud. I changed its color to blue for the photos that have more of a blue look, and left it brownish for the others. Opacity at around 10%, and masking the layer with a soft brush to make it look slightly different for each photo.
Then some saturation adjustments and that was pretty much it.

Hope that helps,
Martin

Godfrey

only photo i've had time to make in a week and some ...

Jorge & Thor - San Jose 2014
Polaroid 350 Land Camera
Fuji FP-3000b film
scanned with iPhone 4S
edited with Snapseed

enjoy!
G

chrism

I seem to be increasing the speed with which I acquire old film bodies and try them out. You never know how long you have left, and the issue is growing more acute for some of us. An old Hassie 500c/Planar 2.8 and 45º prism are winging their way to Nova Scotia. I'm a complete Hasselblad virgin, but I have downloaded the manual, and watched all the Youtube videos on loading it. Any insider tips for me before I make a fool of myself again?

Chris

chrism

Hasselblad 500c, Planar 80mm/f2.8, HP5+, HC-110, Imacon 848 scan:

He just lost 10" of hair to the charity that makes wigs for kids with cancer - the second time he has donated this amount.

Chris

Godfrey

Looks like you've done pretty well with it already!

I don't have much in way of tips to offer. I just use the Hassies according to what the instruction booklet says to do, and they work fine. :)

G

chrism

Thank you, Godfrey. Of the first roll many were wrongly exposed and out of focus, which was a shame as some of them were hand held at 1/8 second and quite sharp but the wrong bit was in focus! The leaf shutter is much kinder for slow speeds than a focal plane shutter. I need to do better with my little Gossen meter, and wear glasses for focusing. The camera came with a 45º unmetered prism, so I don't have the benefit of the magnifier. A waist level finder with magnifier is on the way from KEH. Today I exposed the first half of a roll of XP2 using a 10mm extension tube for close portraits, but tomorrow I will shoot the rest without the extension tube in case I end up with big noses as I did with the Rolleinar 1.

Chris

Godfrey

Thank you, Godfrey. Of the first roll many were wrongly exposed and out of focus, which was a shame as some of them were hand held at 1/8 second and quite sharp but the wrong bit was in focus! The leaf shutter is much kinder for slow speeds than a focal plane shutter. I need to do better with my little Gossen meter, and wear glasses for focusing. The camera came with a 45º unmetered prism, so I don't have the benefit of the magnifier. A waist level finder with magnifier is on the way from KEH. Today I exposed the first half of a roll of XP2 using a 10mm extension tube for close portraits, but tomorrow I will shoot the rest without the extension tube in case I end up with big noses as I did with the Rolleinar 1.

Chris
It's obvious that you like to do tight portraits. You should look for a Sonnar 150mm f/4 T* lens ... you'll be in heaven. :)

That's taken at about 4-5 foot distance.
Prices from $300-500 will get you a very clean and serviceable one.

G

chrism

Hasselblad 500c, Planar 80mm, XP2 @400, Rodinal stand, Imacon 848 scans:

Chris

Last edited:

Godfrey

It's been a brutal, grueling few weeks of work getting all my commitments done for Apple's World Wide Developer Conference. And then an exhausting week of the conference itself. But it all went well, the conference seems a grand success, and my work was well received.

I was on site in SF for two days and each day I brought a different Polaroid to make a few pictures with. The most recent SX-70 Sonar (which has some problems) and the most recent Spectra SE (which doesn't). People got a big kick out of my shooting film with a 25+ year old camera at the 25th running of our high tech conference. These two in particular appealed to me:

I put them all into a little PDF book for all my colleagues who are in the the photos:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25268645/WWDC2014-polaroid.pdf

Just love how these cameras see...
Your thoughts always appreciated.