The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

chrism

Today's effort involved a change of light (south-facing windows plus a kitchen spotlight designed to stop me missing remaining crud on the washing up), my poor, tolerant son, HP5+ @640, Rodinal semi-stand (with some guesswork as I needed more volume but not more development, so 6ml Rodinal in 800ml water for 40 minutes):

I think I like this!

Chris

chrism

Today:

I must get out and try something else with it. I do like this combination of HP5+ @640, and Rodinal 6ml in 850ml water (1:141), with 30 secs agitation at the atart, and two inversions at the halfway mark. 40 minutes total.

Chris

chrism

I have been playing around. My first Graflex Crown Graphic had broken hooks on the Graflok back, and I had to hold the back on with rubber bands. I bought another Crown Graphic from KEH to cannibalise, but it turned out to have a Graphic (or spring) back, not a Graflok. With a set of jeweler's screwdrivers and some determination I swapped the backs, changing the ground glass only focusing screen from the Graphic to the ground glass and fresnel lens from the Graflok in addition to changing the backs. I suspect only someone who has played with these Graflex cameras will be following me at this point! The concern at this stage is that the ground glass surface that used to sit at the same plane that a sheet of film in a film holder would occupy in the donor camera is now displaced by the plexiglass fresnel lens that I have placed under it. Why didn't I think of that before spending hours making a hybrid camera? Shall I take out the fresnel, move it above the ground glass as some recommend? Use the ground glass by itself which is bound to work but will be dark everywhere except the centre, obviating the possibility of using the limited movements offered by Graflex cameras? I decided to try it out and see what happens. I found a Graflok back on the Bay all by itself so I can afford to do an experiment while I wait.
Now just to be difficult, I didn't want to stick with the Linhof 127mm lens that I got with my first Crown Graphic. It equals a 42mm lens in 35mm ('tiny format') terms and I want to do portraits. I have obtained a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N 210mm lens and ordered a carbon fibre lens board from the Czech Republic to mount it. This should equal a 70mm lens in the tiny format, which was the minimum for portraits that I would choose in my days there. I hate doing experiments with too many variables—don't you? Thinking that a day with no film developed is a day wasted, I went ahead and corralled my poor wife into sitting in the kitchen. I took two photos, one at f16 for increased depth of field in case my fresnel lens added to the Graphic back threw off the focus, and one at f5.6 just in case it didn't. The second turned out to be just fine! Now I have to decide whether to swap to the proper Graflok back or not when it turns up in a week or so—I suspect I shouldn't mess with proper focus! Here it is, HP5+ @400, f5.6, 1/15, Rodinal 6ml in 900ml for 40 minutes semi-stand and a Hasselblad X1 scan:

Chris

chrism

Who said you can't do a selfie with large format?
Crown Graphic, Linhof 127mm/f4.7 @f16, 1/2 second, HP5+, Rodinal stand, X1 scan:

Chris

chrism

Time for tea:

Crown Graphic, Rodenstock Apo-Sironar 210mm/f5.6, HP5+, HC-110 (Dil.B), Hasselblad X1 scan:

Chris

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been offered older versions of that exact combo, Chris. Not expensive, but I'm counting my pennies. They are such beautiful tools :)

chrism

Minus 15C today, and a vicious windchill. All the same, I went out with camera and tripod.

Crown Graphic, Schneider 127mm/f4.7 @f16 and 1/250, HP5+, Rodinal stand and X1 scan:

Chris

chrism

I managed to figure out how to cram the view camera, lenses, film holders, tripod, dark cloth, loupe, spotmeter, cable release and sanity pills into my Crumpler Sinking Barge and marched out. "I might be some time" I said to the cats, who shrugged their shoulders and serenely continued evincing supreme unconcern. On the other side of the village is an old wharf where schooners were once built, but the only thing launched there now is the odd kayak in the summer. It's mostly used for picnics and the important business of keeping mosquitos and blackflies well fed. It was -10ºC and the wind was gusting around 70km/hr, so it was all rather bracing.

Across the French River:

Trevor's Place:

Both using the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N 210mm/f5.6 @f16, FP4+, HC-110 (Dil.G) for one hour, and Hasselblad X1 scans.

Chris

chrism

Bayhead, Nova Scotia.
-11ºC, Chamonix 045N-2, Schneider Kreuznach 127mm/f4.7 @f11, 1/60, Ilford FP4+ @125, Diafine, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Chris