The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

jdphoto

A few recent film photos taken with a Leica MP 50mm 1.4 and a Mamiya RZ with a zone plate. The RZ is actually kinda portable with this set up!

Last edited:

Charles2

Your observations about the technical aspects, please

Have never been a serious film photographer, shot less than a dozen rolls in my life. Recently, I shot a roll after several years. This photo was taken with a Bessa 3RA and a Perar 21/4.5 lens at f/5.6. A lab developed and Noritsu-scanned a roll of Ilford FP4+ 125.

Most of the shots came out over-exposed. Not horrendously, but pretty bad, enough to be rejects. I let the camera do the metering and left most shots at straight auto exposure, despite having read comments that the meter on this camera overexposes. This one I shot at 1/2 EC, which came out to 1/30 second.

I made several modest adjustments in Picture Window Pro (by the way, version 7 is currently free while Digital Light & Color develops version 8).

Please give me your observations of what I did wrong or might have done better - taking the shot, trying to give instructions to the lab (I'm not ready to do my own developing or scanning), and post processing the scan.

The Perar has a reputation for vignette. I applied a darkening gradient along the top portion in post.

My photostream, almost all digital, is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/41790885@N08/

Thank you.

Oren Grad

Re: Your observations about the technical aspects, please

Most of the shots came out over-exposed. Not horrendously, but pretty bad, enough to be rejects. I let the camera do the metering and left most shots at straight auto exposure, despite having read comments that the meter on this camera overexposes. This one I shot at 1/2 EC, which came out to 1/30 second....

Please give me your observations of what I did wrong or might have done better - taking the shot, trying to give instructions to the lab (I'm not ready to do my own developing or scanning), and post processing the scan.
Most B&W films - actually, most negative films - have very substantial overexposure latitude. Without having seen your negatives or scans, my first guess would be that the negatives are probably OK but the scanning process was poorly calibrated and isn't doing them justice.

chrism

Needful things:
645n, 120/4, XP2 @400, Ilfotec HC, X1 scan:

Jeep by chrism229, on Flickr

Much as the vehicle isn't well made, it does go through deep snow like no other. The other needful thing for all of us is proper backup of all our scans.

Rolleiflex 2.8GX, XP2 @200, Ilfotec HC, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Backup system by chrism229, on Flickr

This old iMac has four 8TB drives attached, and they are set up to copy one to another every day. On top of that JBOD enclosure is a drive dock, and any naked 3.5" drive may be set into it. I have seven such drives that get cloned once a week (and two of them live off site). On the floor below the Brother MFC and the old HP 7600 is an Epson P600, which is my current A3/A4 printer. Not a piece on the Beseler enlarger.

Pentax K2, 50/1.2, Fuji Neopan 400, Rodinal 1+50, Hasselbad X1 scan:

Enlarger by chrism229, on Flickr

but that is a different matter.

C.

Godfrey

Some time ago, I bought in on a Kickstarter for a new Lomo camera ... the Instant Square, using Fuji Instax SQ film as its medium. It arrived a couple of weeks ago, but I had to order some film and get some CR2/CR2025 batteries (2x CR2 for the camera, 1x CR2025 for its IR remote).

I finished my first pack of film yesterday. Just learning it... Of the ten exposures, I lost one (the print must have fallen out of my pocket) and four are, I think, reasonably representative of the quality this camera can produce.

Here are the four snappies as examples:

Lomo Instant Square - Instax SQ

A format comparison (sizing keeps to the relative pixel dimensions, same post-scan processing—just a minimal tone curve adjustment):

MiNT Polaroid SLR670a - Impossible 600 Color (gen3)

This Lomo camera is going to be fun! I hope Fuji creates a B&W version of the SQ film as well.

G