The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

MartinN

I have several packs of the discontinued Fuji FP300C, but as it's discontinued I am a bit savy using it. My best camera for utilizing it is the mighty Fuji GX680 which takes 80mm x 80mm images on that instant film. But, this film only increases in price because of availability, and eventually some company would have to start making a replacement for all those nice medium format cameras which use pack FP300C. I believe it's only a question of time with the boom of instant film photography.

Instant film is interesting and would we get an usable negative for scanning, like it was with some type of Polaroid, why wouldn't it be the easiest and most convenient way into film photography.

Godfrey

I have several packs of the discontinued Fuji FP300C, but as it's discontinued I am a bit savy using it. My best camera for utilizing it is the mighty Fuji GX680 which takes 80mm x 80mm images on that instant film. But, this film only increases in price because of availability, and eventually some company would have to start making a replacement for all those nice medium format cameras which use pack FP300C. I believe it's only a question of time with the boom of instant film photography.

Instant film is interesting and would we get an usable negative for scanning, like it was with some type of Polaroid, why wouldn't it be the easiest and most convenient way into film photography.
You can retrieve the negatives from FP300c (and even FP3000b with effort, I think) by using a mild bleach rinse on the discard portion of the peel apart packet.

The remains of my last pack of FP300c are in my Hasselblad Polaroid back. I've been saving the remaining exposures (about six) for something special... Maybe I'll shoot them on TDay (tomorrow).

I sold the rest of my pack film and pack film cameras to another enthusiast, and gave away all my extra Polaroid cameras (four Spectras, One Step+, three SX-70 autofocus cameras) to concentrate on one last original SX-70, the MiNT SLR670a and SLR670m, and a Kickstarter instant that takes Instax SQ. The latest revisions to the Impossible Project films, now Polaroid Originals, have improved dramatically and the Fuji film is quite good.

Then this MiNT InstaKon RF70 (Instax Wide format) came up as being in early development. I sent a note in to them with a check, saying, "I'll take one whenever you get it done." That was a while back, they've just recently gotten enough made to satisfy some of the pre-orders. And it proves to have been worth it. :)

These first two posts with it I 'scanned' by snapping a photo with my iPhone 8 Plus, but I'll make reference captures with the Leica CL and a more rigorous copy camera setup. That's good enough for me, I don't need negatives anymore. Just good quality captures.

G

MartinN

You can retrieve the negatives from FP300c (and even FP3000b with effort, I think) by using a mild bleach rinse on the discard portion of the peel apart packet.
Yes I have tried that, but have got only subpar results. The black backing is indeed dissolved by bleach but the main problem that I can't solve is that the developing chemicals being spread onto the film causes a completely blotchy image on the 'reclaimed' negative. I have tried immediately washing the 'negative' side with different solutions but once the chemical pod is disrupted and spread for developing it won't go away anyhow and is leaving a very 'artsy' negative.

Heads up indeed for the 'new' Polaroid efforts and nobody can say where we are in a few years.

MartinN

good enough for me, I don't need negatives anymore. Just good quality captures.
Certainly a Polaroid is easier to show and store than feet big prints. Here in Finland where I live the average apartment is quite small, and I usually print 8x11 inch. Those are manageable.

Godfrey

Yes I have tried that, but have got only subpar results. The black backing is indeed dissolved by bleach but the main problem that I can't solve is that the developing chemicals being spread onto the film causes a completely blotchy image on the 'reclaimed' negative. I have tried immediately washing the 'negative' side with different solutions but once the chemical pod is disrupted and spread for developing it won't go away anyhow and is leaving a very 'artsy' negative.

Heads up indeed for the 'new' Polaroid efforts and nobody can say where we are in a few years.
The procedure I used when I was doing this was to seal the edges of the negative part to a clean sheet of glass with artist's tape, wash the black backing off with mild bleach, then water, let the taped up negative dry, remove it carefully from the glass, then wash it in Photo-Flo, and hang it to dry. This left a clean, clear, high quality negative from my Polaroid Land 350 camera.

I didn't do it too often, but was experimenting to see what I could get out of it. :)

Integral films have also been manipulated to pull the image out of the sandwich, but it's always been way too much effort for my druthers!

Me, Yesterday - MiNT SLR670m - Polaroid Originals SX-70 Color film
Digitized with iPhone 8 Plus

I'd forgotten what film I had in this camera, so consumed the remaining three frames determining that it was SX-70 Color. Now I need to order a few more packs...! LOL

The film had been in that camera for some time and gotten a bit old, thus the banding. Here's the camera, also snapped with the iPhone 8 Plus, on a tripod with the self-timer fitted.

enjoy! and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone for whom it matters! :D

G

Godfrey

I put the InstaKon RF70 to work yesterday evening to record our holiday dinner gathering of friends. I loaded up one pack of Instax Wide Color and did all flash photos on Auto in our condo. I am happy to report that it made ten excellent photographs. I used the rangefinder to set the focus and mostly used f/11: All are in good focus with clear bright colors; all but one are exposed as well as they can be and the one that isn't was purely operator error (it's slightly dark due to shooting into too big a room past the 3m limit of the flash's power).

Very pleasing, solid performance out of this new MiNT camera. For this set of photos alone, the price was well warranted. I need to order more film...

Scans a little later on.

G

dave.gt

:shocked: :wtf: The post before yours was made 6 days ago.

- Leigh
Yep! You are correct!

My link needed updating and it took me to the previous page. Dang, been a little ore-occupied the past few months and never noticed. Thanks.

Anyway, after a long time between the Db and Film Backs, we met up with TC in Piedmont Park yesterday. He used my 50c on his new Alpa TC, and I am shooting only Ektachrome (35mm and 120) for the next few weeks.

I had forgotten how extraordinary the film backs on the H5 are to use. It was a wonderful morning to be our shooting in spite of the freezing temps and crazy wind. After finishing the 120, I used the lightweight plastic fantastic F80 with both new and old Ektachrome. So light and fast and the rewind sound was satisfying. After shooting some panos and a dozen handheld shots, it was time to go, sadly.

It will be a few weeks to finish more E100 to send in for developing, so I have no images to share yet. I am only posting to remind myself and anyone else who is too busy at times, that even foul weather has its opportunities. And, it was quite an experience, good for the legs, good for the mind, and good for the soul.:):):)

Godfrey

I put the InstaKon RF70 to work yesterday evening to record our holiday dinner gathering of friends. I loaded up one pack of Instax Wide Color and did all flash photos on Auto in our condo. I am happy to report that it made ten excellent photographs. I used the rangefinder to set the focus and mostly used f/11: All are in good focus with clear bright colors; all but one are exposed as well as they can be and the one that isn't was purely operator error (it's slightly dark due to shooting into too big a room past the 3m limit of the flash's power).

Very pleasing, solid performance out of this new MiNT camera. For this set of photos alone, the price was well warranted. I need to order more film...
My small gallery of the Orphan Thanksgiving Pot Luck folks who descended upon our condo and made the evening a grand event.

MiNT InstaKon RF70 + Fujifilm Instax Wide Color

Click this link to go to the gallery.

Enjoy!
G