The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Godfrey

I was on my bicycle ride and stopped at a downtown cafe. I took out the RF70 to make a little still life photo of my coffee, pastry, and helmet. The woman who runs the smoke shop next door saw the camera and came over to say, "That's a beautiful camera! What kind is it?"

We talked for a few moments, and then I said, "I'd be honored to make a photograph of you with it. I'll make two so you can have one, too." She got all excited and said, "Sure! Let me get ready.." and ran into the store to get her shawl and arrange herself.

After the two photos had processed, I told her to take the one she liked most, as long as I snapped a photo of it with the iPhone.

MiNT InstaKon RF70
Fujifilm Instax Wide Monochrome

What a glorious and regal look she has!

enjoy!
G

ggibson

I've taken my first foray into the medium format world with a Hasselblad 503CX. The camera is as much for me an experiment and collector's piece as anything. I haven't shot film in nearly 20 years actually. But I'm committed to shoot at least a few dozen rolls over the next year to explore this analog end of the photography medium.

I haven't yet invested the funds to have scans of my negatives taken. Funnily enough, this and the first couple of rolls I've taken were digitized with my good old reliable Sony A7rII. Economically, it's a way to get a set of digital proofs and it wasn't too difficult.

Here's one of my first shots with the classic 80mm f2.8 Zeiss:

Peter by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Godfrey

I've started my annual "Picture Every So Often" album on Flickr with this photo I made using the original Polaroid SX-70 my uncle gave me back around 2010-2011. He was the original owner, bought it in 1973. It's still in perfect cosmetic and working condition!

Polaroid SX-70
Impossible Project Color SX-70 film
Exposure made in 2012.

I'll be shooting a lot of instant film this year, I suspect. :D

Happy New Year!

G

"It's a new year. Do epic sh@t!"

Godfrey

At Hanchett Park - San Jose 2019
MiNT Polaroid SLR670m (Polaroid SX-70)
Polaroid Originals 600 B&W
Manual exposure

I was definitely in a "just want to ride and ride" kind of mood. I carried one of my Polaroid cameras but didn't stop to make any photos. It was a "do the usual loop" kind of day, and I did it fast and hard ... it felt great to be breathing hard and working myself. I stopped finally at one of my local cafe hangouts, said hi to a few of the regulars there that I know, and had fun joking with the barista for a bit.

The Polaroid camera I had with me is one of those that was custom modified by a company in Hong Kong for manual exposure control. I'd loaded some faster than normal film in it, used my iPhone as a light meter, and made a quick snap of FCC through the cafe window while I was sipping my coffee and before the sun went down.

By the time I left the cafe, the sun had been past the horizon by a half hour, so I fitted my brighter headlight and set off towards home. I took the slightly longer leg of the usual loop back, still enjoying pushing hard and all the endorphins that pumped up. I've come to like riding in the twilight hour a lot as long as the temperatures are comfortable, and it stayed dry all the way back although I could smell the rain coming.

It was a fine ride, all of it, and allowed me to get lost in the riding and meditate freely. Perhaps today there'll be a window of opportunity again.

Onwards!
G

KeithDM

My Hasselblad 500C (with 80mm Planar & yellow/green filter) saw the light of day for the first time in ten months or so yesterday afternoon. :( Went for a stroll around a local country park armed with one magazine loaded with Tri-X and one with Fomapan 100. I set off with the Tri-X but with my Sekonic meter inadvertently set for the Fomapan - doh! Realised my blunder when I swapped magazine and feared the worst for the Tri-X as they were two stops overexposed, so repeated some of the shots with the Fomapan on my return route. Of course by then the light was fading and I was having to use larger apertures and slower shutter speeds than I otherwise would have liked. Developed both films this morning and the Tri-X shots (with development reduced to seven minutes (Rodinal 1:50)) turned out not too bad at all - to my relief!

These two frames are a Tri-X - Fomapan 100 comparison.

View attachment 138584

View attachment 138585

Last edited:

Godfrey

Quite unexpectedly, Thursday went from chilly and cloudy damp to warm and sunny. I pulled on my gear, pulled out a backpack and stuffed a bunch of things into it, and headed out again for my lunch appointment.

It felt really good to be on the bike. Uphill to Cupertino, lunch with a friend, blast down to San Jose. A cuppa, one photo of the art on the wall outside the cafe, a fast jaunt home, arriving just before 4pm. What a fine ride! 19.5 miles, 12.6 mph average. Felt just great.

Cycle Art on Wall - San Jose 2018
Polaroid SLR670m by MiNT
Polaroid Originals SX-70 Color

Okay, Winter weather: bring on your worst now! :D

enjoy! G