The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Godfrey

I cycled to Japan Town for lunch yesterday, carrying the InstaKon RF70. Only made one exposure the entire ride, but I like it. :D

Japanese Maple - Japan Town, San Jose 2019
MiNT InstaKon RF70, Fuji Instax Wide film
Minimum focus, lens wide open, Auto-exposure

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

I went to visit my old buddy down in SLO yesterday. Don is 94 now, still as sharp as can be, and a total pleasure to be able to spend time with still! We've done a lot of photography together over the years ... :)

Anyway, he was feeling well so we went to Morro Bay and wandered about the little marina where we had lunch. I shot my second roll through the Fuji GS645S Wide 60 ... and I have to say, I love this camera as much or more now than I did when I had the first one of them so many years ago! It's just right in the hand in so many ways. :D

This was a roll of XP2 Super exposed at EI 320, kind of a perfect film speed for the GS645S. I'll process it at home in HC-110 @ 1:49; using chrism's chart (thank you!) for 10 minutes instead of my usual 8. Can't wait to see how it looks!

Onwards, always onwards!
G

Godfrey

The XP2 Super negatives processed per the above are just about perfect! And the Fuji has such an excellent lens!

A portrait of my friend Don K. as we sat talking after lunch in the marina cafe on Morro Bay ...

Fuji GS645S Wide 60 Professional
Ilford XP2 Super film
Processed in Agfa Rondinax 60 using HC-110 1:49 for 10 min

full rez:
https://live.staticflickr.com/7927/46874877324_540d9c5afd_o.jpg

I've included the link to a full-resolution JPEG. The sharpness, texture, and tones of this film are just lovely. The capture with the Leica CL and Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm lens nets a 22.1 MPixel image when set up right ... enough for almost anything. :D

enjoy,
G

chrism

Nicely done, Godfrey! XP2 Super cooked in HC-110 doesn't look, to my eyes, very much at all like it does in C-41. Your photo lacks the characteristic swathes of undetailed black I associate with C-41, and is rich in midtones.

Godfrey

I took the Polaroid SLR670a out with me on my bicycle ride yesterday morning...

Polaroid SLR670a by MiNT
Polaroid Originals 600 B&W film
Scanned with Light L16

I made five exposures... Album here:
Guadalupe River Park 2019

enjoy!
G

Last edited:

Godfrey

I attended my annual outing with friends on the Northern California coast this past weekend. Aside from my iPhone, I brought three film cameras along ... the InstaKon RF70 and Polaroid SLR670a (both by MiNT Camera) and used the remaining four frames of the existing film in the RF70 as well as my pack of Polaroid Originals 600 Color "Special Mickey Mouse Frames" film in the SLR670a.

Far as I'm concerned for the snapshotty requirements of the event, they proved perfect and I had 100% keepers. Whatever flaws there are aren't relevant for this use! See the photos here:

The Usual Suspects - Jughandle Gathering 2019

A teaser photo...

All photos captured with the Impossible app's scanning tools using an iPhone 8 Plus. No additional image processing done at all!

The third camera was the Fuji GS645S Wide 60 I obtained recently. It also did a fine job ... I processed the film yesterday and have to get to scanning it next. Far from instant, but the negs look fantastic! :)

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

I scanned the batch of B&W negatives I'd made with the GS645S yesterday. Took the time to use DNG Profile Editor to generate an inversion CPP for the Leica CL. That sped up my processing by a factor of three at least ... basically, one click and all of the exposures were converted to a passable positive rendering from the original DNGs. They did take some slight tone curve changes in three groups.

This was the most difficult one because of the huge contrast difference between the white blossoms and the dark green foliage:

Fuji GS645S Wide 60
Fuji HP5
HC-110 @ 74°F @ 9 minutes in Kodacraft processing tank
Capture Leica CL + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8
ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/6
LR + Leica CL BW Invert profile

I had to jigger the curve a lot, and then do some spot editing on the blossoms to get the whole range in. (Click on it to see the full resolution JPEG.) I don't count it as 'finished' yet, but that's not bad for about 20 seconds work.

:)

G

Godfrey

A couple of the people shots from that event ... Snapshots, really. :)

Processed and formatted for posting very quickly. My more 'still life' type shots I'm still working on.

Our Fearless Leader - Jug Handle Moto Event 2019

click the image above to see the rest

I enjoy shooting with this camera so much! :D

G

ggibson

Nice processing, Godfrey. I like the contrast on the Calla Lilies shot.

Getting a couple of rolls of 120 developed today myself :)

Godfrey

Wow! You got some very very clear days for those photos from Skyline! Lovely stuff! :D

I like the results my test roll of home-processed XP2 Super returned, so I've acquired another five rolls of that to play with. I also inventoried all my film ... I don't keep too much of it around these days, figured I should know what I have. I still have a half dozen rolls of Washi-120 to play with ... hmm. :)

G

Godfrey

I like these orchard shots, Graham. I might choose to render them a bit differently, but the forms in them are really nice. You're making very good use of the square format! :)

G

ggibson

Thanks, Godfrey. I do enjoy working with the square format. It gets me thinking differently about how to set up the shot compared to my preferred 3:2.

Last Acros shot for now, I stopped this down to get some movement in the clouds and used an ND filter. Exposed for 16 seconds:

Orinda Hills by Graham Gibson, on Flickr