The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

ggibson

Yep, that's my son. Occasionally, he'll hold a pose long enough for me to get a capture of him on film, but usually I have to resort to my Sony camera ;)

Another shot, I was using a hood on my new 50/4 that was causing some hard vignetting, which I didn't notice for a few exposures. Chalk it up to learning. Still, I kind of like the circular shape in this one:

Swirl by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Godfrey

He's a handsome young lad; I'm sure he's a joy and a devil... All boys are, I think. I can vouch for the devil part personally; the other you'd have to ask my mom. :D

I like this new photo as well. It kinda looks like a spiral galaxy seen in a field of grass! Very cool.

G

arri

Sinar F1 with Voigtlander Heliar 150mm f/3.5 Made in 1929
Picture taken with f/3.5, Fomapan 400 4x5" sheet film
Developed in Adox FX-39 II

I searched a little bid about this lens and I find out that it costs around $90 in 1930 incl. a dial set Compur II shutter.
A fine ounce of gold costs $21. Incredible how expensive lenses were. The standard Heliar 6" with f/4.5 were available for around $60. A lot of money as well.

The book: The Recognitions by William Gaddis
A brilliant story about fakes and lies, he wrote it in 1955
In German the name of the book is, translated: the faking of the world

arri

Voigtlander Perkeo II with the Color Skopar 80mm f/3.5
Fomapan 400 developed in Adox FX-39 II
Voigtlander yellow filter 2x

I like the voigtlander lenses and this Color Skopar is a gem, new computed by A.W. Tronnier in 1948 and he described it as nearly apochromatic corrected.
One of his other lenses is much more famous, the Apo Lanthar.
BTW: the Voigtlander lenses and cameras were made around 35 miles away from my home town.

The problem all of this old cameras is that the film is not 100% plain, in the consequence that the pictures are sometimes less sharp partial but it gives this images a kind of its own charme.

Godfrey

And now for something a little different ...

The changes to yahoo groups is inspiring a lot of my group lists/forums to move to other server hosts, one of which is the Subminiature list, a forum for enthusiasts of sub-half-frame 35 cameras. Minox 8x11 is one of the big names there. Change has awakened a few of the posters… the list has been very very quiet for years. I was one of the earliest subscribers, some time in about 1995 or 1996; several old friends that date from that time and the next half decade appeared out of the blue. Some discussion ensued, and I got inspired.

I checked my records and found that the last time I shot any Minox 8x11 film was two rolls I did in 2013. Wow, has it really been that long?

Two of my Minox cameras—an early C and a 1980s EC—were just where I put them way back then … I pulled them out, found I'd left the battery in one. Oops! But no leakage, AND the ancient PX-27 battery was still at nominal voltage! That's testimony to how tight the electronics in that even more ancient Minox EC are. :)

I used the battery to test the EC shutter as well as the Minox C shutter. Both working perfectly. So I made a decision, left the battery in the C, and loaded up a 36 exposure roll of Minox ASA 25 b&w film (Agfa APX25, expiration date 2002). Yeah. I pulled out the Minox mini tripod, the adapter for the EC flash to the C body, and the flash itself. The whole kit fits into a corner of the pocket of my bicycle bag. I carried it all on my cycle loop today and made six exposures. Feels so good to have this little camera back up and shooting again!

Photos to come when I finish the roll and process it. :D

G

"No matter where you go, you can always have a Minox with you."