The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Stuart Richardson

William -- I don't know what to say to that one, but man, is it a charged image! It reminds me of some of Eikoh Hosoe's photographs in the Man and Woman series, more for atmosphere and implication than photographic content, but very interesting nonetheless.

wjlapier

Nikon F3 w/Nikkor 105/2.5. Tri-X @320:
Nice and moody. Like the process too. Did you do all the developing and process yourself? Did you shoot it at 320 and process at 400? I have some TriX coming soon and some Rodinal as well!

And the one below--I have to ask. Is that from a CD or did you scan that one? The reason I ask is because so far the scans I've done from C41 B+W always have a tint of purple or green in them. If someplace like Walgreens is returning your negs with a CD I might have to try that. I have some C41 B+W in my F3HP, but haven't gotten around to shooting it yet.

Good stuff Lloyd, especially that first one :thumbup:

Lloyd

Nice and moody. Like the process too. Did you do all the developing and process yourself? Did you shoot it at 320 and process at 400? I have some TriX coming soon and some Rodinal as well!

And the one below--I have to ask. Is that from a CD or did you scan that one? The reason I ask is because so far the scans I've done from C41 B+W always have a tint of purple or green in them. If someplace like Walgreens is returning your negs with a CD I might have to try that. I have some C41 B+W in my F3HP, but haven't gotten around to shooting it yet.

Good stuff Lloyd, especially that first one :thumbup:
Thank you!

I generally process the silver film myself, but the truth here is that I was just testing my old F3 to make sure everything was working, as I was loaning it to a relative. This roll was processed at a pro lab near where I work. I had them process it for ISO 400, even though I shot it at 320. D76, I think.

As for the CN400, this is the scan from the CD I got at Costco. I typically get the CD so I can take a quick look and decide what I want to scan myself. They do a pretty good job, so I just used their scan here, although I'm planning to scan this one later, so I can make a print. I've never had the issue with the color tint you describe. Strange.

Stuart Richardson

Lloyd, is this the raw scan, or did you process it? Because while I quite like the photo (the expression, composition and so on), there is something going on with the processing that looks a bit unnatural to me. Did you do a lot of retouching? Because it looks kind of like he is wearing eyeshadow right now. I think the reason it looks that way is a mix of aggressive sharpening, curves, and presumably a lightening of the under-eye area (the bags...trust me, I have these like Benecio Del Toro, so I know the issue). But now, the area immediately about the eye is so dark, while the undereye is light, and I think this is giving a sort of make-up like effect. This is exacerbated by the sharpening, which makes the lashes look like they have mascara. Now please please please don't take this the wrong way -- I don't think there is anything feminine about the kid or anything like that, it just seems to me to be a bit overzealously processed.

Anyway, that's just the impression I got -- it could just be a jpeg compression issue or something like that. Just giving another point of view...

Lloyd

Lloyd, is this the raw scan, or did you process it? Because while I quite like the photo (the expression, composition and so on), there is something going on with the processing that looks a bit unnatural to me. Did you do a lot of retouching? Because it looks kind of like he is wearing eyeshadow right now. I think the reason it looks that way is a mix of aggressive sharpening, curves, and presumably a lightening of the under-eye area (the bags...trust me, I have these like Benecio Del Toro, so I know the issue). But now, the area immediately about the eye is so dark, while the undereye is light, and I think this is giving a sort of make-up like effect. This is exacerbated by the sharpening, which makes the lashes look like they have mascara. Now please please please don't take this the wrong way -- I don't think there is anything feminine about the kid or anything like that, it just seems to me to be a bit overzealously processed.

Anyway, that's just the impression I got -- it could just be a jpeg compression issue or something like that. Just giving another point of view...
That is the raw scan. All I did was resize and sharpen for the web. I have noticed that my web sharpening action is a bit much for this forum at times. I think the forum adds it's own sharpening, so the combination is excessive. I try to remember to tone it down, but sometimes forget when I'm posting in more that one location.

Lloyd

BTW, no makeup for sure. This is my son, and he has a very olive complexion, which sometimes looks almost green on film. May be an effect of the Tri-X. I'd not noticed this before.

Stuart Richardson

Ah, that makes sense. Scanners will often add their own sharpening too. I know with the imacon you can't turn it off..."off" still means sharpening. You need to set it at -50 to turn it off...it must just be the sharpening, sizing and the contrast. I doubt it has that look at actual pixels.

Lloyd

Another from that recent roll of CN400. I was trying out my 14-24/2.8 on the F100 for the first time. Nothing special about the shot, just trying it at 14mm @f22:
View attachment 14977

Last edited:
N

nei1

This is me messing around with a polaroid image image.I agree its not that well done but it might have possibilities with the right shot.Whatever is done to it it still has that polaroid feel but because of its nature it seems to lead you down different paths............Neil

this is the original

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

I like those Neil! Polaroid just has a look that is very difficult to reproduce (honestly anyway...).

Here are two shots from a series I am doing on a fish-drying area. I posted a black and white 35mm version in the Leica M thread I think, but these are 4x5:

bensonga

While we're on a sort of a fishy theme. :)

Here's one I took last summer with the Pentax 67 and 300mm EDIF lens. Just playing around with a new lens.

Gary
Alaska

N

nei1

Thanks Stuart,your images look good in colour and black and white.This one works really well in those muted colours.Must have been a hell of a shock for whoever opened the oven.

Stuart Richardson

Heh, to be honest, I placed the head there with a stick. It was on the ground. There was however, fish in the oven already, so I just elaborated on what was there already. The guy who owns the place said that there is a family of cats living in that abandoned building -- he thought that they might have dragged the fish in there.

Gary, did you try any of the fish from that smoker?