The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

fotografz

Okay, I usually don't put my wedding work in general image threads ... but I realized that weddings are my greatest source of images (especially film shots) because it is what I do ... so here are a few.

The Jewish ceremony was shot in Miami ... it was a Jewish/Cuban wedding ... Hassey 503CW, Zeiss 40/4, Kodak Portra 400NC.

The Kiss under the big Ficus tree image was shot on the coast of California with a 503CW and Zeiss 50/4.

The bride and her Bridesmaids dancing in a pub window was with a M7 and M28/2ASPH using C41 B&W film with fill from a diffused SF20.

The photo of the girls getting ready was with the 503CW and 50 using C41 B&W film and a D40 flash to fill the shadows while retaining the delicious light pouring in the window.

The church interior shot was with a 503CW and 30/3.5 Zeiss Fisheye.

fotografz

Here are a couple more:

The candid of the B&G kissing while being observed by the stature (I call it "Casual Observer") was with a Contax 645 and Zeiss 350/4 using C41 B&W film.

Joe Joe's Bar was with the M7 and Tri-X ... they stopped in at the seedy bar for an emergency pit stop on the way to the reception ... couldn't plan a better shot : -)

Cow girl Bridal portrait was from a very authentic cowboy wedding (the Bride's outfit was made from a 1880's pattern and they found the original material stored in NYC). Contax AX with 85/1.2 @ f/1.2. Kodak Gold.

B&G on the beach was shot in Ocean Side CA using a Xpan and 45mm. Fuji 400.

B&W of Bride hugging a family friend was a Contax 645 and 35mm using Kodak C41 B&W.

fotografz

Here's an observation I'm loath to admit.

Over the span of time shooting weddings, the vast majority of images have been done using digital capture. However, the majority of my favorite shots have been those done with film. It is inexplicable. I just cannot figure out why that is.

Sometimes (all content being somewhat equal) I think that it is because the film shots seem more about the light. Film just seems to convey the sense of light more powerfully. I know, I know, that comment will be a lightening rod for getting me flamed. But I can't help making that observation based on umpty-dumpty amounts of shots doing weddings. Film just pleases my light seeking eye more.

(maybe the digital dudes won't see this 'cause it's in the analog section .. and I'll get to skate by unscathed :ROTFL: )

Here's one that kind of expresses that thought ... an admittedly routine shot in terms of content that gets a little bit more juice from the sense of light captured.

Stuart Richardson

Lovely photos Marc -- I particularly like the JoeJoe's Bar shot and the first shot.

I agree with you about the digital/analog thing as well. It is one of the reasons I am planning on selling my digital back -- I just go back and look at all the shots I have made with it, and there are only a few I actually like that much. In that time I have taken a number of film shots (some with the same lenses) that I like much better. It is certainly not the back's fault, as it has superb resolution, huge dynamic range and great color -- it just does not look as good as film to me. And it is a LOT less enjoyable to shoot. So for me it is out the door -- I have the D3 for when I need the digital advantages (and it is what I used for most jobs anyway).

An interesting side note -- I was asked to shoot a wedding for a German couple who are getting married this summer out in the Icelandic countryside. Just the two of them and the priest. I asked them what sort of style of images they liked, and asked them to choose some in the style they liked from my website. Every single photo they chose was taken on black and white film. I had also asked them if they would like me to shoot film or digital, and they responded, "Digital I guess?". So I don't think it's just us! There is a special look to it...

fotografz

Lovely photos Marc -- I particularly like the JoeJoe's Bar shot and the first shot.

I agree with you about the digital/analog thing as well. It is one of the reasons I am planning on selling my digital back -- I just go back and look at all the shots I have made with it, and there are only a few I actually like that much. In that time I have taken a number of film shots (some with the same lenses) that I like much better. It is certainly not the back's fault, as it has superb resolution, huge dynamic range and great color -- it just does not look as good as film to me. And it is a LOT less enjoyable to shoot. So for me it is out the door -- I have the D3 for when I need the digital advantages (and it is what I used for most jobs anyway).

An interesting side note -- I was asked to shoot a wedding for a German couple who are getting married this summer out in the Icelandic countryside. Just the two of them and the priest. I asked them what sort of style of images they liked, and asked them to choose some in the style they liked from my website. Every single photo they chose was taken on black and white film. I had also asked them if they would like me to shoot film or digital, and they responded, "Digital I guess?". So I don't think it's just us! There is a special look to it...
Good to know I'm not crazy or just waxing nostalgic. But I usually regret not trusting my eyes. I wish I weren't so lazy and impatient, I'd dump a bunch of MF digital stuff also Stuart. I may still do that to some degree because that level of work has dried up on me in the past 6 months. I have more time on my hands now I'm out of the advertising rat race. Maybe its time to slow down and get off the technology merry-go-round. I already have all the film gear except a rangefinder film camera. May try the Zeiss body to see if I like it since a M is so expensive.

My advantage in this is that I already have a 949 scanner. Scanning is really fast and easy with it. Digital backs come and go, but my Imacon just keeps hanging around, and is there when I need it.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, a great scanner makes a huge difference. I have the 646, which is great for me...I just wish it had the 949's diffuser. The speed and resolution are perfect for my needs.

As for a film rangefinder -- I think the Zeiss is really appealing. I have not owned one, but the VF is fantastic, especially if you like 28mm lenses. While I prefer the shutter speed display of the M7 (and the sound/feel of the camera), it is a really nice camera. The Hexar RF is another dark horse option -- I really liked that camera and I bought it for 600 bucks -- it was just as solid as an M.

Anyway, I need to post a photo -- here's the downside of film -- if you are an idiot about loading, you get cut-off photos! I forgot to advance the film before I started shooting this roll...too much time on the digital dark side.

Lloyd

Here are a couple more:

The candid of the B&G kissing while being observed by the stature (I call it "Casual Observer") was with a Contax 645 and Zeiss 350/4 using C41 B&W film.

Joe Joe's Bar was with the M7 and Tri-X ... they stopped in at the seedy bar for an emergency pit stop on the way to the reception ... couldn't plan a better shot : -)

Cow girl Bridal portrait was from a very authentic cowboy wedding (the Bride's outfit was made from a 1880's pattern and they found the original material stored in NYC). Contax AX with 85/1.2 @ f/1.2. Kodak Gold.

B&G on the beach was shot in Ocean Side CA using a Xpan and 45mm. Fuji 400.

B&W of Bride hugging a family friend was a Contax 645 and 35mm using Kodak C41 B&W.
Those are some flat terrific images. Hard to pic a favorite, but my wife came up short when she saw that first one. I think it's amazing as well.:salute:

Lloyd

Here's an observation I'm loath to admit.

Over the span of time shooting weddings, the vast majority of images have been done using digital capture. However, the majority of my favorite shots have been those done with film. It is inexplicable. I just cannot figure out why that is.

Sometimes (all content being somewhat equal) I think that it is because the film shots seem more about the light. Film just seems to convey the sense of light more powerfully. I know, I know, that comment will be a lightening rod for getting me flamed. But I can't help making that observation based on umpty-dumpty amounts of shots doing weddings. Film just pleases my light seeking eye more.

(maybe the digital dudes won't see this 'cause it's in the analog section .. and I'll get to skate by unscathed :ROTFL: )

Here's one that kind of expresses that thought ... an admittedly routine shot in terms of content that gets a little bit more juice from the sense of light captured.
I have to admit the same as well. I've been shooting more film lately, and it's been interesting to observe my own reaction to what I'm seeing. I do love the convenience of digital, and have made many digital images I'm very happy with, but still I can't escape my feelings about well made film images.

helenhill

MARC :YOUR B&W TRULY SUPERB...LOVE IT :thumbs:

LlOYD: The COLOR IS DIVINE...Drunk on it & Spring :thumbs:

No matter how 'good' digital can be
(Mind You its really more for convenience & laziness)
FILM is the ULTIMATE TREASURE

:) Best to ALL- H

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Taken by Chief Joel Jacobs, Homer, New York, with Leicaflex SL with APO 180/3.5, Tri-X, scanned from original print done on Poly F. Joel sent me this to feed my Leicaflex and 180 APO lusts and said I could share.

Lloyd

A little experiment. I shot this with my Nikon F100 and Provia 100F, and wondered how it would look converted to b/w. Here are the results.

Original first:

Converted version:

emmawest72

Fotografz - lots of very nice shots. Good to see some great use of the contax 645.

Lloyd: fantastic colors in those flower shots.

Here is on with the Hassy/60mm.

MisiekBunnik

I cannot match the quality of the image or scan? from the ' Hassy' but I like the tones of my Canonet GIII QL17, fuji 200 film. The scan is from the local photostore. I still have to explore the path of scanning myself.
It is my son, who normally is a lot happier!

Last edited:
N

nei1

Minolta image pro ,polaroid image film,taken yesterday.

I kicked a clear plastic sandwich tray that was at the base of the tree to one side.

Last edited:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Sundown Yucca

Leica SL2, 180/3.4 APO, C41 color converted with Alien Skin Exposure to 2 stop pushed Tri-X and my flavor of the month Photoshop curves and dodge. Oh, this was off a vile CVS CD with only a 1.5meg jpeg but something to do.

View attachment 16048

Last edited: