The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Here's an observation I'm loath to admit.

Over the span of time shooting weddings, the vast majority of images have been done using digital capture. However, the majority of my favorite shots have been those done with film. It is inexplicable. I just cannot figure out why that is.

Sometimes (all content being somewhat equal) I think that it is because the film shots seem more about the light. Film just seems to convey the sense of light more powerfully. I know, I know, that comment will be a lightening rod for getting me flamed. But I can't help making that observation based on umpty-dumpty amounts of shots doing weddings. Film just pleases my light seeking eye more.
It's funny. I'm a digital guy, basically gave up film cold turkey in 2002 and only shoot it when I want that look or don't want to lug the weight of digital equipment (I know, not all digital is heavy, but mine is), or don't want the hassle. There was a thread here (or possibly LL) about someone "rediscovering" film and wondering if there was something to it. I was in the process of writing a "film is dead, get over it" response when I realized that every picture on my walls was shot on film - no exceptions. It made me think, but I could never figure out why. I think you hit it though -- there is something about the way film renders light and we select film for the way each film sees lights, and shoot accordingly. I shot primarily with Fuji slide films and would shoot each differently because of they way they recorded light. We pick digital cameras based on the subject we shoot more than anything else, and with a few exceptions digital images are about the subject, because they can be, and film shots are about the light, because they have to be.

Lars

I found this 6x17 Velvia in the Australia pile...
Dawn over the Southern Ocean.
Remarkable Rocks, Kangaroo Island, South Australia.
Apo-Digitar 120/5.6, ND grad, Velvia 50.
Some shadow lift and foreground burning.

Lloyd

I found this 6x17 Velvia in the Australia pile...
Dawn over the Southern Ocean.
Remarkable Rocks, Kangaroo Island, South Australia.
Apo-Digitar 120/5.6, ND grad, Velvia 50.
Some shadow lift and foreground burning.

Beautiful image, Lars. Well done indeed.:thumbup:

N

nei1

Couple of dog shots,both taken many years ago.

as you can tell by the ring pulls on the can of coke.

drazin

Medium format hasselblad 203fe and a 50mm 2.8 on ektar 100

heres another one same camera but with a 110mm f2 on 160nc

Lars

Boring??? Are you kidding? These two shots are so beautiful. The colors in the ektar 100 shot are just stunning. I am going to have to give that film a try.
Agreed between the lens and the color palette of the film there is a cartain glow that really works.

Lars

Another lost&found from my Australia pile:

Ebony 45S, Shen Hao 6x17 back. Digitar 120 + ND grad on Velvia 50 rollfilm. Straight scan, no adjustments.

Last edited:

drazin

great shot! i find it almost impossible to scan veliva 50 with my nikon 8000. gave up on slides :( but your shots make me wanna try again!

woodyspedden

William

You make Hasselblad sing when it comes to portraiture. You seem to have the look dialed in which is great. Love the 203FE and the 110 2.0 for this kind of work. Just stunning

Best

Woody