The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My daughter wants a film camera

Which way do I go?

• Get another Canon body and an extra lens or two

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Get one of the Medium Format bargain systems and 2 or 3 lenses

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Get her her own choice of 35mm SLR and a few lenses regardless of brand

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Suggest she go digital...

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
D

DougDolde

I'd vote for a Mamiya 7II or Pentax 67 (but only because it is cheaper).

robsteve

Subscriber
Jack:

How about an old Pentax such as a K1000 or splurge and get her a LX. The lenses for Pentax are dirt cheap.

Robert

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Just ask her what she might want to shoot.

You know that what makes a camera "just right" is a very personal thing.
Take her to K&S and fish around the used counter. Ask her to handle a few different bodies.
You never know what she might go for.
Imagine someone trying to pick out a camera something for you :shocked:
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack:

How about an old Pentax such as a K1000 or splurge and get her a LX. The lenses for Pentax are dirt cheap.

Robert
Yeah, I was thinking something like an old Asahi Pentax and a 55mm lens.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Just ask her what she might want to shoot.

You know that what makes a camera "just right" is a very personal thing.
Take her to K&S and fish around the used counter. Ask her to handle a few different bodies.
You never know what she might go for.
Imagine someone trying to pick out a camera something for you :shocked:
-bob
I'm taking her to Keeble tomorrow to see if we can find something that fits for her. I admit to a secret hope she likes the feel of a Hassy V or Pentax 67 :D My guess is she is going to like the Oly OM's :rolleyes:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Happy Hunting and Have Fun! Remember, this is for her, not you and Guy!!! If she goes for an Oly you'll have to find her a 90/2 macro at some point!!!

bensonga

I admit to a secret hope she likes the feel of a.....Pentax 67 :D
Not a Pentax 67. Not one of these....it will break her heart....trust me on this one. Don't let her go for the P67.

She will fall in love with the P67 lenses and then someday, eventually, she will want to go digital....then she will have to leave the P67 behind. Believe me, I know, it's a heart breaking experience.

Gary

Stuart Richardson

I think the Olympus will go over well -- do you think she is more interested in a daily carry camera...one for photographing her friends, things that strike her interest throughout the day etc, or do you think she wants something to use specifically for going out to do photography? If it is the former, I would say Olympus with a prime or two. The latter is well served by a 500c/m and 80mm f/2.8 CT*.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think the smaller, lighter daily carry camera is the logical answer, so probably a good 35mm SLR makes the most sense.

Oh well...

:(

PeterA

Or...other idea ( second to Olympus) consider a Nikon F3/FM with a 28/50/105 combo - aren't these also a required right of passage? -:)

bensonga

...consider a Nikon F3/FM with a 28/50/105 combo - aren't these also a required right of passage? -:)
If that's so (and I don't doubt it), I came to my F3 right of passage late in life. Just picked up an F3HP with motor drive, and 28/50/105 lenses within the past couple years. It is an excellent camera/combo and without the motor drive, not too heavy to lug around.

Gary

PeterA

hahah -- :ROTFL::ROTFL:

maybe a great topic for a new thread...the cameras in your life..a bit of this:thumbup: a bit of that..:wtf: a touch of this ..:cry: but mostly :clap: ??!!

robsteve

Subscriber
Yeah, I was thinking something like an old Asahi Pentax and a 55mm lens.
-bob
Maybe Guy can get her a deal on an old Honeywell Pentax :)

I was thinking of a Pentax MX, which is Olmpus OM size, but the lenses are much cheaper.

Robert

fotografz

A good old mechanical Nikon FM (FM10 is $337. or less new)... and she can "graduate" to the Zeiss ZF 35/2 or 50/2 ... and nothing out there will beat it for B&W street stuff ... including a M ... because film is film and those specific Zeiss optics are terrific.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
C'mon Jack, get moving - what time are you going shopping? We are all anxiously awaiting to hear about her selection! :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well you are not going to believe this...

I took my son and daughter over to my local dealer, Keeble and Shuchat, to look at cameras. My son was interested in digital and trying to decide between a mid level Canon and the little G1. THe surprise was my daughter, who upon seeing all the shiny new digital cameras and had an instant change of heart :wtf: She looked at me with her big baby blues and asked, "Dad, can I just borrow you 'old' film camera when I want to shoot film?" Of course it's difficult for me to refuse her, so I replied, "Sure sweetie..."

Anyway, she left with a Nikon kit box... So not only did she go digital, she chose a brand I no longer have any lenses for! :rolleyes:

Thank you for all your support and help and great advice!

(PS: Dad couldn't resist and grabbed himself a G1... You know, since the salesman went to all that trouble of bringing the box out and all!)

woodyspedden

I'm taking her to Keeble tomorrow to see if we can find something that fits for her. I admit to a secret hope she likes the feel of a Hassy V or Pentax 67 :D My guess is she is going to like the Oly OM's :rolleyes:
Jack

If she ends up liking the Hassy V series I have both a 203FE and a 500 CM in mint condition which I would sell to her for a price consistent with her needs, not her dad's ability to pay. PM me if you are interested in either. The 500CM, by the way, is a yellow canary version.

God bless

Woody