The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R8

Come monday and I'll have a great condition R8 in my hands, including a showcase box and manuals etc.

Earlier I splurged some cash on a 50/2 Summicron.

Sounds like a 1 lens kit for a "50 kinda guy :)

I can't believe I paid total of 550€ (or 740$)for both. And the cron also works with my A7r just beatifully!

Anyway, since i have really limited experience with film and zero with R8, I'd appreciate any tips. So please share your secrets and best practises.

//Juha

bensonga

I'll go out on a limb here and say.....you're going to love the R8. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. The viewfinder is hard to beat.

I really like the R8 with motor winder combo. The R8 with motor drive is even better....except for the lousy batteries. I have two batteries and neither will hold a charge for long. I haven't found anyplace to get replacements.

Gary
R8, R6.2, R3

Only had the time for couple of test shots yesterday. Didn't want to burn through too much of the film at the office and by afternoon weather turned nasty and gray... hopefully today is a better day.

I knew the R8 would be a simple tool, but still after all the digital stuff it ws beyond my comprehension as to how simple.. there is only a handful of buttons and each have just 1 function. After this even the M9 would feel like a complicated thing :)

The vf is absolutely great for a slr, no doubt. But on the same note I'm a bit spoiled by the evf on the A7r and it's ability to zoom in for focus. Never anticipated saying this, but I reckon the R-lenses are easier to focus with A7r!

Maybe that'll change when I get more shots under my belt and get used to the R8, but that's the current situation.

Other surprise was the weight.. it feels like a tank. I could probably use it as a hammer and not break a thing! I bet it also balancea nicely with a longer lens, say something like 180 apo-elmarit.

//Juha

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree that it's easy to focus with the A7r, but I couldn't figure out where to load the film. Maybe I "need" an R8 instead :confused:

hmm.. yes, that is troublesome indeed. It's a bit the same problem as I had with the whitebalance setting on the R8 ;-)

Back to the topic, I think the R8 could use a CLA. There seems to be quite a bit of dust in the viewfinder. It's not a problem per se, but definitely annoying.

//Juha

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
To fully appreciate the R8, one should take it out on an outing and go through few rolls of film. The layout of the controls are so simple yet very functional.

Godfrey

Come monday and I'll have a great condition R8 in my hands, including a showcase box and manuals etc.

Earlier I splurged some cash on a 50/2 Summicron.

Sounds like a 1 lens kit for a "50 kinda guy :)

I can't believe I paid total of 550€ (or 740$)for both. And the cron also works with my A7r just beatifully!

Anyway, since i have really limited experience with film and zero with R8, I'd appreciate any tips. So please share your secrets and best practises.

//Juha
An R8 and kit of four lenses was my object of camera lust for several years. I just could not afford it at all at that time (middle 1990s). Just like the Leicaflex SL and a few lenses had been my object of camera lust since 1970... Finally got the Leicaflex SL and lenses last year. It was a similar thing ... I paid a low, fair price for three lenses and the body was pretty much given to me.

When the R8 came out, it really seemed like the true descendant of the Leicaflex SL to me, rather than the R3 to R7 series bodies (although they were certainly good bodies too). Good luck with it!

I tend to shoot only B&W film these days, so I'd load up a roll of XP2 Super or Neopan ACROS 100, then just go out and play. Stick an orange filter on if I want that contrasty look... :)

G