The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ferrania kickstarter

Godfrey

Quite informative - even legacy 35mm film lenses can out resolve any digital sensor.

https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2014/12/36-megapixels-vs-6x7-velvia/

I'd be interested in a comparison of digital vs CineStill 50 fine grain Daylight film.
Sigh. I love film, but these kinds of comparisons make no sense at all.

Why do people toss all their older, film era lenses when cameras like the Nikon D800 and D810 come out? Because the old lenses are optimized for a different medium and don't perform as well on such a high resolution digital sensor.

G

Texsport

I prefer to make pictures instead of digitally manipulating a taken image.

The article clearly disproves the myth that digital cameras automatically capture superior images. I use digital, but only for convenience.

Texsport

Godfrey

I prefer to make pictures instead of digitally manipulating a taken image.

The article clearly disproves the myth that digital cameras automatically capture superior images. I use digital, but only for convenience.
Your prejudices are showing. I don't know what myth you're referring to. The article says nothing of any value to me. The fifty-plus years I've been doing photography mean a lot more to me than some foolish comparison of digital vs film by an "Amateur Photographer who plays with big cameras and film when in between digital photographs," to quote the author's personal statement.

I prefer to make photographs. Whether I use film or digital depends on what I'm trying to achieve. Neither original capture medium produces particularly great results without doing the required work in processing and rendering to make a finished product.

Sometimes film is the more convenient choice. Sometimes digital is. If you want to be objective about it, you learn both mediums and use one or the other when it has advantage to what you're doing.

G