The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I Just Got Me a Film Camera

Oren Grad

I use SilverFast with my Nikon 9000. I scan B&W negatives as transparencies, setting the clipping points outside the portion of the histogram that has any signal from the image area, so as to get a low-contrast, full-information scan with some room for maneuver on both ends. Inversion and all processing to taste are left for Photoshop. You should be able to do the same with Epson Scan, BTW.

I can't recall ever having a problem capturing the full density range of a B&W negative, though I suppose it's possible if one seriously overdevelops a film like TMY that picks up highlight density very rapidly with increased development. But Gary's picture was on TX, which is normally a very forgiving film.

Shashin

I shoot Tmax and I have never had a problem getting the density range out of my V750 scanner. I just think Gary needs a little time figuring this out.

GaryAyala

I shoot Tmax and I have never had a problem getting the density range out of my V750 scanner. I just think Gary needs a little time figuring this out.
Yep, I agree. I need to learn how best to expose for the scanner and how to best scan for PhotoShop.

I think I'll ultimately get it.

Gary