Site Sponsors

Thread: I Just Got Me a Film Camera

Post Thanks / Like

I Just Got Me a Film Camera

A Fuji GX 680III to be precise.

Gary
    Last edited by GaryAyala; 22nd November 2014 at 20:14.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Just Got Me a Film Camera

Uh Oh, serious trouble approaching, LOL.
    Good luck, post some shots.
    It's a beast, but a beautiful beast.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations - I believe we have a couple of others here who have been brave enough to try the 680. I remember being impressed by the shots taken by FredBGG on this page. Looking forward to seeing your results!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gary & Chris. It is a beast.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations. It's a lovely beast with some fantastic lenses. I don't have nearly enough time to use mine, but I'm making progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a Facebook group btw.:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fujigx680/?fref=ts

Great place to ask for advice etc.

Post Thanks / Like

As a fellow user of big, heavy cameras my number one tip is to not give a f*ck, bring it with you even when it seems highly impractical.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice to see you getting a "real" camera, Gary. u4/3 is nice, but they ain't going to impress anyone. You turn up with this thing and people will just assume you know what you are doing. And the great thing about film is you don't have to prove it on the spot--you just tell them you need to develop it first.

Now we just need to get you a medium-format digital back for it...

Post Thanks / Like

Rock on. I have the whole system, 50 - 500 mm. Film has a look that can't be replicated. You just need a good chiropractor after a day in the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    There is a Facebook group btw.:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fujigx680/?fref=ts

Great place to ask for advice etc.
    Thank you Jorgen. I always need help. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy645 View Post
    As a fellow user of big, heavy cameras my number one tip is to not give a f*ck, bring it with you even when it seems highly impractical.
    Thanks Mammy. I used to be a pro ... the only thing that matters was the final image ... nobody cares about how you got there. I hear you ... I appreciate the advice ... my plan is to take photos ... of everything.
    Last edited by GaryAyala; 27th November 2014 at 08:14.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Nice to see you getting a "real" camera, Gary. u4/3 is nice, but they ain't going to impress anyone. You turn up with this thing and people will just assume you know what you are doing. And the great thing about film is you don't have to prove it on the spot--you just tell them you need to develop it first.

Now we just need to get you a medium-format digital back for it...
    LOL ... this thing can swallow a lot of MFT gear. The camera arrived ... still waiting for lenses and backs.
    My Snaps are Here
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Fallon View Post
    Rock on. I have the whole system, 50 - 500 mm. Film has a look that can't be replicated. You just need a good chiropractor after a day in the field.
    Thanks Thomas. I'm starting out with the 65mm, 135mm and 210mm. Presently, I'm on EBay looking for a Sherpa instead of a chiropractor.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had a look at your portfolio Gary, lovely stuff, you have a great eye. Can't wait to see what you create with that wonderful Fuji beast. If you haven't shot film for some time I think you'll be amazed by the quality of the latest films like the new Portra and T-Max, I know I was.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had a look at your portfolio Gary, lovely stuff, you have a great eye. Can't wait to see what you create with that wonderful Fuji beast. If you haven't shot film for some time I think you'll be amazed by the quality of the latest films like the new Portra and T-Max, I know I was.
    Yep .... its been a long time since I touched a roll of film. I'm very apprehensive about post development ... scanning negatives and all ... is entirely new. I remember my first time making prints from digital. Man, did I go through tons of paper, ink and time trying to get it right. I hope this goes quicker.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

What will you be using to scan your negatives?

Post Thanks / Like

What will you be using to scan your negatives?
    For starters, probably Richard's, a custom lab.

But, I am seriously exploring scanning, presently looking at Epsons, v700 - V850. I've seen some the results and while not as good as a drum scan, I think the Epson's are good for my needs (up to 16x20) and very cost effect for a home setup. I have a Plustek for 35mm.

Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford it, I'd probably look at the Plustek OpticFilm 120. I used to own the Epson V700 and wasn't too impressed to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

What I like about the Epson is the cost is about equal to 43 rolls of custom lab processing and a medium scan. If figure that 43 rolls is about a year of shooting. The Plustek extends my break-even point to two years.

I'm not sure I'll like the camera that much.

Why were you unimpressed? What the difference between the two? Could the difference be easily corrected/compensated in PhotoShop? Up to a 16x20 is there a significant difference in quality?

Gary

PS- Happy Thanksgiving.
    G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary, I have a V750. It works well. Film curl is a bit of a pain, but nothing that can't be cured with a flat heavy book. I did buy a third party medium-format holder. Knowing how to run the software is important and setting up the scan right. Then you make the final image in Photoshop. The scans can basically be printed to any size you want. I would not worry about this scanner not making good scans. Sure, there are better, just like there are better bank accounts than mine...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a reviewer that, apart from writing a good review, goes through a lot of factors that influence the scan quality of a V700/750:

EPSON V700 review

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, I have a V750. It works well. Film curl is a bit of a pain, but nothing that can't be cured with a flat heavy book. I did buy a third party medium-format holder. Knowing how to run the software is important and setting up the scan right. Then you make the final image in Photoshop. The scans can basically be printed to any size you want. I would not worry about this scanner not making good scans. Sure, there are better, just like there are better bank accounts than mine...
    Thanks Shashin. I'm quite please with the Plustek I have for 35mm. It probably makes sense to go for the 120 Plustek if the workflow is quicker and easier. Nice to know that the v700 - v850 works well also. For me if the difference can only be seen on a computer ... then there isn't any difference at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Here's a reviewer that, apart from writing a good review, goes through a lot of factors that influence the scan quality of a V700/750:

EPSON V700 review
    Thanks Jorgen. I'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GaryAyala View Post
    What I like about the Epson is the cost is about equal to 43 rolls of custom lab processing and a medium scan. If figure that 43 rolls is about a year of shooting. The Plustek extends my break-even point to two years.

I'm not sure I'll like the camera that much.

Why were you unimpressed? What the difference between the two? Could the difference be easily corrected/compensated in PhotoShop? Up to a 16x20 is there a significant difference in quality?

Gary

PS- Happy Thanksgiving.
    G
    I found it lacking in resolution and sharpness. For small prints it's ok, but it can't hold a candle to dedicated film scanners. You might be happy with it, or like me you might get frustrated knowing the negatives are capable of so much more than the scanner can handle. Either way, have a couple of good labs scan the film for you before you decide, it will give you time to reflect on your needs, and it will give you a good baseline to compare with once you scan them yourself.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found it lacking in resolution and sharpness. For small prints it's ok, but it can't hold a candle to dedicated film scanners.
    That is odd. Did you adjust your film holders? I also have a Nikon LS 9000 medium-format film scanner, and while it is a bit better, it is not that much better.

Post Thanks / Like

That is odd. Did you adjust your film holders? I also have a Nikon LS 9000 medium-format film scanner, and while it is a bit better, it is not that much better.
    Sure did, I performed pretty much every test and adjustment imaginable to get the best out of the Epson over a period of a year or so, but finally sold as it didn't deliver the results I was after. I'm a bit surprised you think the Nikon and the Epson are in the same league, it's pretty common knowledge that the LS9000 has almost twice the actual resolution of the Epson, maybe there's something wrong with yours?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure did, I performed pretty much every test and adjustment imaginable to get the best out of the Epson over a period of a year or so, but finally sold as it didn't deliver the results I was after. I'm a bit surprised you think the Nikon and the Epson are in the same league, it's pretty common knowledge that the LS9000 has almost twice the actual resolution of the Epson, maybe there's something wrong with yours?
    Mine is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is fine.
    If you think they are comparable why wouldn't you sell the Nikon? At least before the Plustek 120 they used to fetch insane prices on eBay, haven't really looked lately though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you think they are comparable why wouldn't you sell the Nikon? At least before the Plustek 120 they used to fetch insane prices on eBay, haven't really looked lately though.
    Because it is part of the equipment in my imaging center. Actually, it might be illegal to sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Epson requires different post processing from the Nikon. The Nikon is still better, but not nearly twice as good. I've seen some very impressive results from the V700.

The prices of the Nikon seem to have fallen lately, now hovering between $2,500 and 4,000, and they should. Good alternatives like the Plustek and the Braun have appeared at around $2,000 and nobody knows for how long parts will be available for the LS 9000.

Post Thanks / Like

A long time ago I decided that I wasn't looking at the same thing in comparing my Minolta Multi Pro (Nikon 9000 equiv.) scans with those from the Epson V700.

I always got the impression that while the Multi Pro was very sharp it was also scanning a layer of grain and not the depth of grain, unlike the V700. And while the V700 isn't as sharp, it does to my mind represent the film more accurately. This can cause confusion because some films do scan better than others anyway, but generally I like the 'deeper' scans of the V700 and just pay more attention to micro contrast and careful sharpening.

I'm happy to report that the Plustek 120 seems to be the best of both worlds, representing the grain beautifully and being much sharper than the V700 (even better than the Multi Pro).

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I want to thank everybody for posting and helping me out. I have repeatedly read every post and researching my options. I have found all this information invaluable.

Thank You,
    Gary

PS- Keeping 'em coming.

G

Post Thanks / Like

The price for the Nikon Coolscan ranges that high? It may be time for me to eschew film all together, get rid of the M6, and then sell the Coolscan 9000. Nah. Love film too much.

Post Thanks / Like

First attempt. While I am not very happy with the results, I realize that I am very low on the scanning learning curve.

Fujifilm 680III w/ Tri-X @ ASA 400 scanned with the Epson v850.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that doesn't look right at all, way too contrasty and lacking in detail.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I need to play with exposure/development to get a neg that will behave well with SilverFast. I gotta get a spot meter.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you figured out if the problem is with the negative or with your scanning process? If not, have a pro lab scan it for you. That way you know where to start troubleshooting. It's pretty hard to mess up the exposure itself, especially with B&W film.

Post Thanks / Like

Any progress, Gary? I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing what you can do with the 680!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I found Silverfast a pain to work with. I moved over to VueScan. That may or may not fix your issue, since picking the right profile and basic scanning settings is really important (I just found it easier with VueScan). Unfortunately, that's more software to buy and maintain.

Anyway, I think I landed on actually doing a color neg scan even on B&W film. I can't remember what specific settings, but what I always went for was a very flat scan that I could then "pump up" in PP. In other words, don't try to make your scan come out perfect -- leave that for the tools that are good for that purpose, like Photoshop, Nik Silver Efex, etc.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GaryAyala View Post
    First attempt. While I am not very happy with the results, I realize that I am very low on the scanning learning curve.

Fujifilm 680III w/ Tri-X @ ASA 400 scanned with the Epson v850.

Gary
    Work in curves or levels to get the scanner to get the entire negative density range--look at both the input and output range sliders in levels. It may look a bit flat in the scanner, but if you are scanning in 16-bit, you should have plenty of information to get it looking nice in Photoshop or wherever you are processing this. In scanning you are really looking at optimizing the information out of the film and then finishing in post.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use SilverFast with my Nikon 9000. I scan B&W negatives as transparencies, setting the clipping points outside the portion of the histogram that has any signal from the image area, so as to get a low-contrast, full-information scan with some room for maneuver on both ends. Inversion and all processing to taste are left for Photoshop. You should be able to do the same with Epson Scan, BTW.

I can't recall ever having a problem capturing the full density range of a B&W negative, though I suppose it's possible if one seriously overdevelops a film like TMY that picks up highlight density very rapidly with increased development. But Gary's picture was on TX, which is normally a very forgiving film.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shoot Tmax and I have never had a problem getting the density range out of my V750 scanner. I just think Gary needs a little time figuring this out.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot Tmax and I have never had a problem getting the density range out of my V750 scanner. I just think Gary needs a little time figuring this out.
    Yep, I agree. I need to learn how best to expose for the scanner and how to best scan for PhotoShop.

I think I'll ultimately get it.

Gary