The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I Just Got Me a Film Camera

Gbealnz

Uh Oh, serious trouble approaching, LOL.
Good luck, post some shots.
It's a beast, but a beautiful beast.
Gary

chrism

Congratulations - I believe we have a couple of others here who have been brave enough to try the 680. I remember being impressed by the shots taken by FredBGG on this page. Looking forward to seeing your results!

Chris

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Congratulations. It's a lovely beast with some fantastic lenses. I don't have nearly enough time to use mine, but I'm making progress :)

Mammy645

As a fellow user of big, heavy cameras my number one tip is to not give a f*ck, bring it with you even when it seems highly impractical.

Shashin

Nice to see you getting a "real" camera, Gary. u4/3 is nice, but they ain't going to impress anyone. You turn up with this thing and people will just assume you know what you are doing. And the great thing about film is you don't have to prove it on the spot--you just tell them you need to develop it first.

Now we just need to get you a medium-format digital back for it...

Thomas Fallon

Rock on. I have the whole system, 50 - 500 mm. Film has a look that can't be replicated. You just need a good chiropractor after a day in the field.

GaryAyala

As a fellow user of big, heavy cameras my number one tip is to not give a f*ck, bring it with you even when it seems highly impractical.
Thanks Mammy. I used to be a pro ... the only thing that matters was the final image ... nobody cares about how you got there. I hear you ... I appreciate the advice ... my plan is to take photos ... of everything.

Last edited:

GaryAyala

Nice to see you getting a "real" camera, Gary. u4/3 is nice, but they ain't going to impress anyone. You turn up with this thing and people will just assume you know what you are doing. And the great thing about film is you don't have to prove it on the spot--you just tell them you need to develop it first.

Now we just need to get you a medium-format digital back for it...
LOL ... this thing can swallow a lot of MFT gear. The camera arrived ... still waiting for lenses and backs.

GaryAyala

Rock on. I have the whole system, 50 - 500 mm. Film has a look that can't be replicated. You just need a good chiropractor after a day in the field.
Thanks Thomas. I'm starting out with the 65mm, 135mm and 210mm. Presently, I'm on EBay looking for a Sherpa instead of a chiropractor.

Mammy645

I just had a look at your portfolio Gary, lovely stuff, you have a great eye. Can't wait to see what you create with that wonderful Fuji beast. If you haven't shot film for some time I think you'll be amazed by the quality of the latest films like the new Portra and T-Max, I know I was.

GaryAyala

I just had a look at your portfolio Gary, lovely stuff, you have a great eye. Can't wait to see what you create with that wonderful Fuji beast. If you haven't shot film for some time I think you'll be amazed by the quality of the latest films like the new Portra and T-Max, I know I was.
Yep .... its been a long time since I touched a roll of film. I'm very apprehensive about post development ... scanning negatives and all ... is entirely new. I remember my first time making prints from digital. Man, did I go through tons of paper, ink and time trying to get it right. I hope this goes quicker.

Gary

GaryAyala

What will you be using to scan your negatives?
For starters, probably Richard's, a custom lab.

But, I am seriously exploring scanning, presently looking at Epsons, v700 - V850. I've seen some the results and while not as good as a drum scan, I think the Epson's are good for my needs (up to 16x20) and very cost effect for a home setup. I have a Plustek for 35mm.

Suggestions?

Mammy645

If you can afford it, I'd probably look at the Plustek OpticFilm 120. I used to own the Epson V700 and wasn't too impressed to be honest.

GaryAyala

What I like about the Epson is the cost is about equal to 43 rolls of custom lab processing and a medium scan. If figure that 43 rolls is about a year of shooting. The Plustek extends my break-even point to two years.

I'm not sure I'll like the camera that much.

Why were you unimpressed? What the difference between the two? Could the difference be easily corrected/compensated in PhotoShop? Up to a 16x20 is there a significant difference in quality?

Gary

PS- Happy Thanksgiving.
G

Shashin

Gary, I have a V750. It works well. Film curl is a bit of a pain, but nothing that can't be cured with a flat heavy book. I did buy a third party medium-format holder. Knowing how to run the software is important and setting up the scan right. Then you make the final image in Photoshop. The scans can basically be printed to any size you want. I would not worry about this scanner not making good scans. Sure, there are better, just like there are better bank accounts than mine...