The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX 680III Update

GaryAyala

Looking good, I hope you have the waist level finder too.
Yes I do.

That image is of my first attempt at assembling all the various parts I've collected so far. So I had to toss on the 90 degree finder. If I find that I'm regularly using the Waist Level, I'm thinking of replacing the Waist Level with the Loupe View Finder.

Mammy645

I love waist level finders, not only are they beautiful to look through and make you feel like you're in the scene instead of watching it from afar, I've also found they make your subject (if you're shooting people) less intimidated than when you look straight at them.

GaryAyala

I don't have a problem with either finder. It is a matter of height. The 90 Finder will allow me to shoot higher easily, while the Waist Level will allow me to shoot low easier.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've used mine on a motorbike trip on dirt roads in rural Cambodia. Works fine :D

You might need one of these though:

Fuji GX680III Neck Strap for Fuji GX680 GX 680 III Iiis Camera | eBay

The neck straps for the GX680 III are rare as hen's teeth, so they tend to sell for ridiculous prices. The seller in the ad above is very reliable and a great source for anything GX680.

GaryAyala

Thank you Jorgen. I've been looking at that strap ... and I keep thinking $250 is a lot of money for a strap.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you Jorgen. I've been looking at that strap ... and I keep thinking $250 is a lot of money for a strap.
It is a lot of money for a strap. The most expensive I've seen so far went for well over $300. I got mine for around $200 a couple of months ago. I've been trying to find the metal parts that connect to the camera or at least something similar, so that I could start manufacturing myself, but I haven't succeeded so far. It's very similar to what is used with some other MF cameras, but larger.

There are a few more expensive parts:

- The AE finder that usually sells for around $1,400
- The original, Super CCD digital back. I haven't seen any of those for sale.
- The zoom lens

GaryAyala

It is a lot of money for a strap. The most expensive I've seen so far went for well over $300. I got mine for around $200 a couple of months ago. I've been trying to find the metal parts that connect to the camera or at least something similar, so that I could start manufacturing myself, but I haven't succeeded so far. It's very similar to what is used with some other MF cameras, but larger.

There are a few more expensive parts:

- The AE finder that usually sells for around $1,400
- The original, Super CCD digital back. I haven't seen any of those for sale.
- The zoom lens
- I've been looking for the AE finder ... haven't found one yet. Dunno if I'm willing to shell out $1400.
- The CCD back is a something I didn't even know exist. (Okay, on my list.)
- I've seen the zoom ... don't see a real need yet.

I'll look for a fastener for the strap as well. Maybe between us we can start a new business.

4season

That's a big camera to dangle from one's neck.

I wonder if Hasselblad / Kiev-type straps would fit? Back in my Hassy days, I'd buy rotted Hasselblad leather straps just for those fasteners.

Godfrey

That is one mighty techno-lump of a thing. Beautiful in its massive way! Very cool.

Carry it on a neckstrap? Not me, never. I don't like carrying even the diminutive (by comparison only) Hassy 500CM with 80mm that way.

G

danielmoore

Count me in as proud owner of this camera, just brought home the very same as 4season linked to above. Still some bits to acquire, I hope we don't battle each other on auctions : ).

I've been using a D800E for a few years and yes, I really like it. Nothing makes me feel better though than returning to film. Emphasis on the feel better part.

I'm so much more deliberate and in the place than when I shoot digital. I've tried adapting my mindset to some avail but having so many restrictions is freedom to me. The pressure to get it technically right. Doing the math in one's mind before exposing. Taking the time, for god's sake, to know a place.

The camera is simply astounding, the engineering and machining, just phenomenal. I know I'm going to enjoy using it. It just suits me.

Now to find a couple more lenses and a cable release. Ironically, I'd love to come up with a more diminutive version of the cable release. Why did it have to be a joystick? : )

edit: Tom noted one thing I found rather interesting, regarding the 680 S model with it's lack of movements. It was that for the longer lenses it might be desirable to not have the movement linkages involved. There is some sag to consider and the S model does seem considerably more rigid under pressure.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
edit: Tom noted one thing I found rather interesting, regarding the 680 S model with it's lack of movements. It was that for the longer lenses it might be desirable to not have the movement linkages involved. There is some sag to consider and the S model does seem considerably more rigid under pressure.
I use the "S" mostly for portraits with the 180mm and sometimes for travel. The size difference makes it easier to pack and I also assume less prone to damage during travel due to the simpler construction. Then of course, sometimes the whole point of bringing the beast is the tilt/shift, so then, I have no choice.

MCTuomey

That's a big camera to dangle from one's neck.

I wonder if Hasselblad / Kiev-type straps would fit? Back in my Hassy days, I'd buy rotted Hasselblad leather straps just for those fasteners.
They do not fit. I've tried, believe me. $200+ for a strap is just hideous.

danielmoore

Could you show us, Jorgen, what the strap connection itself looks like? It would be great to see just how they designed it. There needs to be a DIY solution.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Could you show us, Jorgen, what the strap connection itself looks like? It would be great to see just how they designed it. There needs to be a DIY solution.
There is probably a DIY solution. The part on the camera is more or less identical to the one on a Hasselblad and a few other MF cameras, but the one on the GX680 is slightly larger. The smaller part can be bought from several sources on the net for a couple of dollars but I've so far not found any that are the right size.

The mechanism doesn't need to be as advanced as this to work: