The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX 680III Update

GaryAyala

Sounds promising.

I took receipt of a 65mm today. 4lbs 2 oz. Oh man.

How are you transporting the beast? I'm still looking for a backpack solution I like.
I'm strapping it. I use a rather large backpack for the accessories. Those lens boxes take up a lot of room. I'm looking for some padded bags for the lenses. Strapping the camera isn't very practical for hikes and such. So I need to work on a better solution. I have a very large, waterproof, camera backpack. I'll see if it fit in that thing.

Gary

GaryAyala

I've used a Think Thank Airport Addicted v2.0 so far, but it's really only suitable for the "S" version and it's not comfortable to carry for an extended period of time. The problem with most backpacks is that they are too shallow. However, F-Stop is introducing a new backpack designed for cine cameras these days. It's not cheap, but this may be the solution I've been looking for. I'll drop them a mail and ask how deep the insert is.

Introducing the Shinn: Our First Cine-Camera Carry Solution | f-stop
Thanks Jorgen. I think my 'Expedition' backpack is about that size.

danielmoore

Today I rearranged my decrepit but still kicking Tamrac Extreme, at least I think that's what they called it. I packed the camera with film back and lens into the base and surrounded it with another film back, 65mm, remote release, bellow hood, and stuffed the 90° angle finder into the outer pocket. Feels not much different than my D800E kit, which typically ran 35-40 lbs.

I used a spare divider to add extra padding at the lower back, which had a cutout in it to allow for a focusing knob to protrude, lying on it's side rather than the base against my back, which was just too tall to zipper up.

I'll be leaving the D800E at home on my next excursion. Should be very interesting.

danielmoore

Rocks, trees and water. I've been leaning towards more abstract landscapes lately. Morro Bay area for the holidays.

MartinN

Where are all the GX680 People ? Is digital toys overtaking the serious task like making photographs with the GX680 ? I have aquired a new tripod head for my GX680 - the Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head. This is a cheap alternative to 'The Cube' but solid and well built. My other reflection is that the GX680 is a cheap Technical camera although very heavy. But it's good to get exercise when outside photographing. I use my GX680 weekly and don't bother to do digi other than scanning and printing. The GX680 is simply so much fun.

Martin

Thomas Fallon

Where are all the GX680 People ? ... The GX680 is simply so much fun.

Martin
Have to agree with you there. I found a pristine one some time ago and have acquired a full complement of lenses, 50-500. A dime on the dollar. The movements on every lens is what makes this so much fun. And there is still something about film. 30x40's look great. I am sure the day is coming when I will have to horde film in the freezer, but we are not there yet. My daily work has to be digital for convenience, but the GX680 is a thing of beauty.

MartinN

full complement of lenses, 50-500.
I decided that the 250mm will be the longest lens for me. Of course 300 is 300 and 500 so like but they are rare and more expensive. Then I don't want to stress the focusing mechanism.

The resolution of 6x8 chromes or colnegs are quite good and like you said can be magnified a fair amount. I like the 6x8 aspect ratio for fitting on my precut printer paper.

The limitations are in my opinion two - the camera IS heavy and bulky. Then when I used the B time setting for more than 30 seconds in the winter some odd things happened I believe.

But what a camera ! It is perhaps the ultimate camera that uses affordable roll film. I do not need to use it handheld for my photography but for general landscape, macro and architecture and nature still lifes it is a very good camera.

danielmoore

I've had a GX680 kit for a little over a year now and when I take a trip to relax it's what I bring along. The D810 stays at home. I find it to be one of the best engineered systems I've ever had the pleasure to shoot with. It really is an absolute joy to use. I also love the return to the inherently contemplative approach to shooting film as opposed to pointing and clicking, which is all too easy to fall into a pattern with when shooting digital.

I'm not too happy to hear that Fuji discontinued FP100C. It was to be expected though.

I've worked up a wireless remote for it. If anyone is interested in the details let me know.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My working hours and travel have gone totally over the top the last year, and I'm selling off stuff that doesn't serve a specific purpose for me right now, including the much loved D810. I'm keeping the GX680 gear though, two bodies, AE viewfinder and all, and I hope to do a series of portraits in July, since I'm planning a few days off then.

The GX680, a III and a IIIs in my case, is a totally lovely camera with fantastic lenses, and I find it much more of a joy to shoot than most of the digital wonders. Time is the limiting factor.

MartinN

If one hast to sell a GX680 I think it is likely being able to recoup the expenses in buying a GX680 if not having paid all to much in the purchase. Used gear don't depreciate very much. Excluded are those who bought them new in the 1980-2000:s.

It's sad that the loss by selling digital can be substantial.

Nice to hear that there are GX680:s in use !

MartinN

I've worked up a wireless remote for it.
I suppose one has to salvage one piece of a GX680 remote.

Can you describe the color leads and which to use if possible ?

I would like to have a lockable and/or timed remote but don't want
to mess up a useable remote.

danielmoore

Sorry for the late response. I've dug into both the III and earlier version remote triggers. It's very simple to adapt the cable to a shutter release of your choosing. The Black and the White wires are all that's required to trigger the camera. The Red wire I believe is a wake signal to turn on the light meter in the AE finder so I've disregarded that. I'm also not entirely sure if I'm correct about the Red wire since I don't have the AE finder to test with.

I wanted to be able to quickly change over from a wireless remote to a wired remote so I used 1/8" male and female connectors mid-cable. When I need long exposures I use a dirt cheap wired remote with a locking feature. When I want a wireless trigger I use a Vello Shutterboss wireless trigger. The wireless trigger does not allow for Bulb exposures, it's simply a quick single pulse operation without reworking the microprocessor.

I had thought that a resistor would be required, and it may actually help, depending on the internal resistance of the trigger you choose, but things are working well without one in my set up.

When the remote is depressed the voltage drops across the Black and White wires from +5V to Zero. Black is ground, White is +5V.

Knowing that only the Black and White wires are required means it's simple to make a non III remote work on the III body, which I've also done.

As a double check on your cord before you wire things up, if you check continuity with a meter you should see that Black and White should correspond to pins 1 and 2, respectively on the plug, counting clockwise with number 1 as the first position to the left of the largest of the three keys on the plug, at the bottom center. If you want to play around with the camera body itself, don't forget to reverse that order, Black being pin 8 and White being pin 7 on the body.

The only trouble I had with my customizations was finding a connector that could accept the thick cord of the 680 remote. I also wanted something that looked less cheesy than the usual suspects for 1/8 connectors. Googling 1/8" jack images turned up the ones I'm using. They look good but could be built better as they lock together a bit wobbly, but still work fine.

(edit: the connectors I was using were giving me trouble with maintaining contact so I swapped them out for some cheapos and things are working fine now).

I've also made a custom AA battery holder from a cheap battery holder box and the cover on the 680 battery compartment. Let me know if you would like those details.

MartinN

Thanks

Today I finally took the step to cut my remote cord.
Seems to be working well with a Canon-type Intervalometer Timer.

Martin

MartinN

How long a time approximately can I expect the GX680III to operate with normal CR123A batteries ?

I had some problems with tha AA battery case so I would like to use the CR123A:s.

Thanks
Martin

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
How long a time approximately can I expect the GX680III to operate with normal CR123A batteries ?

I had some problems with tha AA battery case so I would like to use the CR123A:s.

Thanks
Martin
I can't answer your question since I mostly use AA batteries. Be aware however, that the GX680 III doesn't like rechargeable batteries, so if you have used those, that might be the source of your problem.