The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Point & Shoot Film Camera

I only consider a camera P&S if all you really need to (or can) do is point and shoot. For me, that's the Oly XA2.

Great optics, doesn't get easier to use.

Reed

Terry

I don't have a favorite film P&S but I do like the Canonet GIII and to me the new X100 seems spiritually similar.

David Schneider

NOT exactly a Point & Shoot
but still a Gem ...Rollei 35S
sharp glass /beautiful retro body/ quirky yet hip...:grin:
Me too. I've sold all my old film cameras long ago, but I still have the Rollei35S. Darn thing was always in my pocket. Made you learn photography since you had to guess at distance to subject, my battery cap went so meter was useless so had to learn exposure by looking at a scene, everything manual. And talk about a camera holding it's value!!!

DaveO

The cap off a 35mm film canister can be used as a lens cap on the Rollei 35S camera with a little bit of tape inside to make it fit.

DaveO

Dunny Prego y Talker by ken_vs_ryu, on Flickr

Rollei Prego 90
Pros: Very impressive Schneider lens on the Prego. I try to keep it at 50mm. Plenty of feauters including intervalometer!
Cons: ISO setting is auto. Options go back to default after each shot.

The Talker has a great 35mm f/2.8 lens. But it's all auto so you don't know what aperture it's using.

These two aren't the smallest

O

Overcoming Gravity

I'll have to say Hexar AF. The silent mode is... amazing.
Even today I toke some pictures of a girl sitting in front of me in the subway and she didn't notice.
Great lens too.

jsf

The Fuji GS645W is hands down the best film point and shoot. Small enough to go into your pocket. But it uses 120 or 220 film. Zone focus with a 43 mm lens is simple and the light meter is accurate enough. With 220 you get 20 exposures per roll and beautiful medium format quality. Whisper quiet and unobtrusive, I often would use it literally as a point and shoot never even looking through the viewfinder. A truly fun camera. Joe

saxshooter

Back in the day I loved my Nikon 28 Ti and Minolta TC-1. Considered "luxury" point and shoots at the time, they had aperture control and the lenses were very sharp. I particularly liked how the projected framelines were illuminated (red) in the Nikon 28 Ti when it was dark. The Minolta TC-1 was tiny... about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

OlliL

Actually I was looking at a Minolta TC-1, before I bought the Klasse.
A pretty interesting concept, with it's always perfectly round aperture blades, but I was only able to find one, which "was probably working" and at a crazy price. :)

saxshooter

Re TC-1, actually no aperture blades at all. They were perfect circles (waterhole stops?) that clicked into place. One f-stop missing, though. Maybe it was f11. It went something like f3.5, 5.6, 8, 16... I think they used to be $800 when new. I sold it in 2004 or 2005 for around $450.

J

jamie123

This is fun:

Fuji Klasse W von oliverleschke auf Flickr
It is indeed! I just got one last week for a song and I'm loving it! I used to have a Nikon 35Ti and didn't like it at all.
What I like about the Klasse W is that it's got a decent size for my big hands but is still fairly light. the 28mm focal length is great, too.

OlliL

Hm I wouldn't say it's light, especially compared to the Ricoh GR series (to stick in the 28mm category), but it has a pleasant grip and heft.

Used it exclusively the past weekend and am very interested to see how the pictures come out, that I shot in NP mode.

ShiroKuro

Many a times I have held the Fuji Klasse in my hands with the intent on buying it .....

An older Photographer friend of mine has been giving me some of his old magazines .... love all the adds . Like when the Plaubel Makina first came out or new film etc.

ShiroKuro

The Plaubel Makina is my all time favorite camera ... I have the 67W and a 670 ...Stuart, you are right right in saying it is a giant point and shoot .... and it's pocketable .... can't wait till next month . I'll be be to Japan for a few months ... That's where I usually shoot these cameras ; ) ... love shooting film in Japan