The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Point & Shoot Film Camera

ShiroKuro

Just wondering what your favorite point and shoot camera would be or was in the past .... and why ?
What was it like before digital and forums like this one when it came to researching and buying a camera ? :)

Not exactly a point and shoot, but I really like the Canonet GIII. Inexpensive, indestructible and the lens has a very unique look. Plus you can hand hold a rangefinder with a leaf shutter at very slow speeds.

W

wbrandsma

For me it is the Ricoh GR1. I read a short impression of the camera in a German photo magazin shortly after the announcement. I realized it was the camera to replace SLR (too big, too heavy). Sold my Nikon SLR and lenses and used the camera as my only camera from 1996 'till 2004. I still have it and plan on getting film again.

It was the simplicity, the lay-out of the controls, and the great 28mm lens.

Despite having had internet access since 1994 I never looked for information about cameras there. Reading magazines and trying the cameras in the stores were the only options I used.

bensonga

Not exactly a point and shoot, but I really like the Canonet GIII. Inexpensive, indestructible and the lens has a very unique look. Plus you can hand hold a rangefinder with a leaf shutter at very slow speeds.
I agree. This was my first camera and only thing like a P&S film camera that I have owned. Used it in Australia for two years. Got some very good photos of Brisbane, Queensland and a trip to New Zealand. Hmmmm....I need to dig out those old slides. I wonder whatever happened to that Canonet....ex-wife must have it.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

cam

i am lusting after a black Hexar AF with silent mode personally. i've seen it work in stunning conditions! the lens is a 35/2 and whilst i'd rather have a 38mm, i'll gladly accept the 35mm to get the f/2, available light, glass. along with it being one of the quietest, it has an AF that works in really dark lighting.... sigh.

helenhill

i am lusting after a black Hexar AF with silent mode personally. i've seen it work in stunning conditions! the lens is a 35/2 and whilst i'd rather have a 38mm, i'll gladly accept the 35mm to get the f/2, available light, glass. along with it being one of the quietest, it has an AF that works in really dark lighting.... sigh.
'ADORAMA' has a Silver Konica Hexar
35/f2 for $749.00 EXC condt

Take the Plunge...:grin:

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Saw one not too long ago for 250 Euro. Black model with silent mode. Oh, why do I doubt so much? I should have done it. :(

emmawest72

The Olympus MJu II if you can still find one is really great. Small,cheap and a really good 35mm 2,8 lens. It is entirely automatic though there are some different flash modes + a spot meter.

Jeremy

Shot for a long time with an Olympus Epic (aka MJUII) which is all of $60. Cheap enough you can do whatever with it without a problem. My only problem with it is was having to manually turn off the flash every time I turned on the camera.

Now I have the black Hexar AF. This camera, for me, perfected the 35mm P&S.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Another vote for the Ricoh GR1. I used one for about 8 years until it broke. Wish I could get another one.

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Keh.com has a number of Hexar AF cameras for under $500. They are located under 35mm > Konica 35mm > Point & Shoots.

Stuart Richardson

I love the Hexar AF, but I would not consider it a point and shoot -- it is too big and too much manual control. For actual small sized point and shoots, I like the Nikon 35ti -- excellent metering, a great lens, and the beautiful analog dial system:

helenhill

NOT exactly a Point & Shoot
but still a Gem ...Rollei 35S
sharp glass /beautiful retro body/ quirky yet hip...:grin:

wjlapier

Nikon 35Ti. Excellent meter, even for slides, and very sharp lens. I have the Epic and it's a great throw in the backpack camera.

O

Oxide Blu

Just wondering what your favorite point and shoot camera would be or was in the past .... and why ?
Two of them;

Olympus Pen 1/2-frame. They are from the 50's and 60's, up until the early 70's. They made crappy pix until film improved, resolution rocketed. Since the 90's the 35mm 1/2-frame is a very usable film format, 72-pix from a roll of 36 film. The film moves horizontally like a normal 35mm camera, work with images in portrait format, or turn the camera sideways for landscape.

I also have/use a Konica 1/2-frame point and shoot. It runs the film through the camera vertically; work with the camera in landscape format.

DaveO

I recommend the Yashica T4. It has a wonderful Zeiss lens although it is not a 2.8, if I remember correctly. It's fairly expensive for a point and shoot, but it's a great camera.

DaveO

T

tetsrfun

Another vote for the Rollei 35. The last one that I owned was the Classic Titanium. A lot of rolls went through that camera and the 2.8 Sonnar was excellent. A real pocket 35mm; that camera did millions of "vertical" feet in my ex's ski clothes.

Steve