The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A new instant film camera

Oren Grad

Well, that's fairly insane! :)

I think my interest will depend on whether they've gone Holga with the lens. We'll see.

Thanks for sharing this...

Mammy645

The fact that they imply you can't get film for a Rolleiflex in the promotional movie made me want to punch the computer screen. But I guess they had to make sh*t up to compensate for how cheap and toy-like it looks next to the Rolleiflex.

250swb

The fact that they imply you can't get film for a Rolleiflex in the promotional movie made me want to punch the computer screen. But I guess they had to make sh*t up to compensate for how cheap and toy-like it looks next to the Rolleiflex.
I would guess it is a typo and should have been 'you can't now get a Rolleiflex for your film'.

It is a sad day though when any new film camera is criticised, especially just for being cheap.

Steve

Godfrey

A lot of people do seem to have real difficulty getting 120 film. They probably aren't trying very hard, but it's nowhere near as easy to find a retailer that stocks it today as it once was.

I suspect, though, that the intended audience for the TL70 is very different from the Rolleiflex users. And even the Rolleiflex users who buy it will tend to consider it as more of a toy than a serious camera. :)

I may get one, just to keep my polaroid demon fed!

G

Oren Grad

well, call me a sucker, but I just bought one.
Not at all. When you have a chance, do let us know what you think!

I recently received my sample of the other genuinely new instant camera - the Lomo'Instant Wide, which offers a much wider range of exposure control as well as other handy features compared to the Fuji 210/300. Unfortunately, there have been too many other things on my plate and I haven't yet gotten around to trying it. Doesn't help that temperatures around freezing or below mean it's not the ideal season for playing with instant film outdoors. But soon, I hope - indoors if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Godfrey

A sucker? Not at all. It should be an interesting camera at the least. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos from the TL70!

I nearly went for a TL70 but have decided to concentrate shooting instant film with the SX-70 and its derivative SLR670m and SLR670a models. I am often tempted to get an Instax Mini 90 too, but I'm resisting that as well.

G

Hosermage

Interesting note about shooting them in the cold... is it just slow to develop or will it not expose correctly in the cold?? Not that I have much to worry about in SoCal, but just in case I take it up in the mountains...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
well, call me a sucker, but I just bought one.
Me too. I use the Instax printer already and so this looks like a fun way of using the films too. Heck, if it's no good then I have a younger generation mourning the loss of Lomos here in Portland (aka Hipster town) so they'll lap it up.

Btw, also I feel that it's important to support folks like MINT too. I just bought a SLR670a just to stick it to the killers of Polaroid (and support the Impossible guys).

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, very sad that there isn't a digital TLR option. I just invested in the XF with my MFDB to get the WLF. That is such as game changer and I fear that we forget about the advantages that historically have been attributed to waist level finders and shooting from the chest/waist.

Now I'm just frustrated waiting for my delayed WLF to arrive. I may have to get myself a Rollei or Mamiya TLR anyways for posterity. Which reminds me that my late father shot thousands of shots using a Yashica TLR that I promised and need to scan for my siblings and later generations. :eek:

HIGHLY recommended reading:
https://luminous-landscape.com/rantatorial/box-of-photos-my-wake-up-call/ :thumbs:

From what I've seen online it looks to be at least a bit better then a toy camera build. A lot of thought seems to have gone into the design.
I've written a couple of folks with some questions about the camera. Maybe.....:)

Robert

Godfrey

Me too. I use the Instax printer already and so this looks like a fun way of using the films too. Heck, if it's no good then I have a younger generation mourning the loss of Lomos here in Portland (aka Hipster town) so they'll lap it up.

Btw, also I feel that it's important to support folks like MINT too. I just bought a SLR670a just to stick it to the killers of Polaroid (and support the Impossible guys).
Good luck with it! The SLR670a is my favorite Polaroid in use now. 600 speed film is so much handier than 150 speed film, and I think Impossible Project manages the 600 speed emulsions a little more consistently.

I'm shooting some 600 Color version 3 beta film right now. It is excellent! Almost completely light-proof out of the camera, reasonably quick to start processing, and significantly more consistent speed with better colors than anything previous.

Btw, very sad that there isn't a digital TLR option. I just invested in the XF with my MFDB to get the WLF. That is such as game changer and I fear that we forget about the advantages that historically have been attributed to waist level finders and shooting from the chest/waist.

Now I'm just frustrated waiting for my delayed WLF to arrive. I may have to get myself a Rollei or Mamiya TLR anyways for posterity. Which reminds me that my late father shot thousands of shots using a Yashica TLR that I promised and need to scan for my siblings and later generations. :eek:

HIGHLY recommended reading:
https://luminous-landscape.com/rantatorial/box-of-photos-my-wake-up-call/ :thumbs:
I'd like a WLF for the Leica SL too. Actually, it's not hard to do ... All I need is a gizmo to fit my iPhone flat and pointed up into the hot shoe mount, then I can connect to the camera via WiFi using the Leica SL app and I have my WLF. I set the SL into my "SWC" user profile (square format crop, B&W, with lens profile set to the Super-Elmar-R 15mm) and it really becomes a very good emulation of a Hasselblad SWC. Just shoot at f/5.6 instead of f/11 and the DoF/FoV coupling is quite similar.

... Of course, the SWC is normally an eye-level camera. ;-)

G