The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My last film Leica?

Last film Leica

• M7

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • MP

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Show results

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I'm wanting to get my last film Leica. Which should it be the M7 or the MP?
I currently have and shoot, IIIG, M3, M4.

Knorp

John, I own only one film Leica [MP.85] but looking at your line-up I would choose an M7 for its 'electronic aid'.

All the best.

trisberg

John,

Since you already have an M3 and M4 I would pick the MP since the shutter speed dials turn the same way on these models.

-Thomas

Stuart Richardson

I use both an MP and an M7 and have no issues with the shutter speed dial...the M7 stays mostly on aperture priority, but when it doesn't, it is not such a great problem. If you are shooting so fast that you cannot think about which way the wheel turns, you are probably going to want it in aperture priority anyway.

In any case, since you already have the very classic Leicas, the M7 offers some nice advances -- it has the AE operation which works very well. It shows the shutter speeds in the viewfinder during AE operation. It has a stepless, very accurate shutter which exposes slides beautifully. It has DX coding and TTL flash. In my two cameras, it is noticeably quieter than the MP, but it will be quieter than any mechanical M from 1s to 1/30th.

If you shoot long exposures, the M7 has some really nice features -- it will count the exposure time up in the viewfinder during bulb....no more bringing a timer with you. Similarly, it will count down long exposures if you are using AE.

Overall, I think the MP is a phenomenal camera -- well made, easy and quick to operate and aesthetically beautiful. But I think that when it comes down to sheer utility, the M7 is a better camera. Since you already have the IIIg, M3 and M4, I think the M7 represents the most useful addition to the collection. If it is too expensive, the other cameras to look at would be the Zeiss Ikon and Konica Hexar RF -- both excellent as well, and offering something unique compared to your older Leicas.

Seascape

1985 M6 Wetzlar, with MP viewfinder upgrade. Not an expensive camera, and does everything a MP will do, with a proven track record :thumbs:

fotografz

I'm wanting to get my last film Leica. Which should it be the M7 or the MP?
I currently have and shoot, IIIG, M3, M4.
With what you already have I'd snap up a M7 .85 since the only way to get one now is Ala Carte ...that is, IF you favor 35mm to 90mm focal lengths. .85 does help.

johnastovall

I have to say the option of a very clean M6 and work for DAG or Sherry K. to add the MP viewfinder is interesting.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John, another vote for the M7 -- the AE is invaluable for fast shooting. As nice as the MP is, you already have that "feel" in the M3. So I say go for the automation. Oh, and knowing you like street and wides, I'd get the .58 finder :D

johnastovall

I think your are right Jack. The M7 would give me the AE and I have three nice manual Leicas.

Right now, I've got to decide if get one now are go and get a backup for my 5D (the money maker). I had planned on the 5DMkII but the more I keep hearing about problems with them, the more I think about adding current Leica money and 5dII money and go for a good clean used 1DsMkIII. This would move the Leica out to summer and that might not be a bad thing.

Also it does appear that the older M7's needs the MP viewfinder mod and the updated DX film sensor. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Stuart Richardson

I don't really find the MP finder to be such a huge difference. My father has an M6 classic from the mid 80s and I have the MP/M7 -- it flares less in bright light, but in most situations you would not notice a difference. And the large majority of M7's have the newer finder by now, don't they?

johnastovall

I don't really find the MP finder to be such a huge difference. My father has an M6 classic from the mid 80s and I have the MP/M7 -- it flares less in bright light, but in most situations you would not notice a difference. And the large majority of M7's have the newer finder by now, don't they?
Looking at used M7 and the issue as to at what serial number the M7 got the "MP" finder is open. The DX sensor is easier as it can be determined by inspection.