The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

my first film Leica?

which sexy beast?

• M3

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • M2

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

cam

this will be my very first film Leica and i've decided i want to start back with one of the classics.

the M3 is enticing to me because i prefer the larger VF and it seems custom made for my Noctilux. on the other hand, the M2 is intriguing because it will allow me to use the two 35's i have.

i do have an external Tewe VF coming so there is always that. however, i'm intrigued by the DOF notches available in both later models... do you know if you can use a VF magnifier if i choose to go with the M2?

what are your opinions on these models?

helenhill

Well its not hard to see where my Vote is going....
I first had an M4 till ERIC stole it from me
and I thought I would get another...
till I picked up an M2
clicked the shutter,held it in my hands & I was sold...
Mind You, I was forewarned about taking out the film spool
(really a piece of cake... I can put in a roll in seconds)
and unfortunately the M2 film counter YOU have to set Yourself
so I am usually off a shot or two :ROTFL:
but at the end of the day
I'm Happy without batteries & an in house meter
I do carry a CV meter in my pocket (for those occasional dark moments)
however I have LEARNED so much about light
aside from experimenting with the Sunny 16 rule and Practice.

If I did it all over
Either an M2 OR a sexy blk M4P

cam

thank you, sweet helen!

i think i'm going to go to a wonderful little hole in the wall on Beaumarchais and see if i can rent a camera or two (or three) and see how i get on with it.... just as i'm frothing at the mouth, i have a day like today where i took far more shots of my friend's shy daughter than i ever would have on film. it was only at the end that i got "the" one. granted, i was shooting f/1 with the Nocti, but still....

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I would say go with the M4. It was last of the classic M's and distilled the best of them in to one lovely, functional camera.

Please ignore the Orange Boys hair on it. Leo likes to curl up around it when I have it on the desk.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Yes, the M4-P had 28-90, 50-75, 35-135.

But the 28 and 75 were offered as a Factory conversion for the M4. I suspect a DAG or Sherry K. could do this one.

That is from my bedside book, Laney's "Leica Collector's Guide 2nd Edition." A very handy book to have but it can cause GAS.

wjlapier

Not my first Leica, but my first M. The M3 wasn't supposed to be as I was looking for a M mount camera that had a meter. But when I saw this beauty, and the price, I couldn't pass it up.

:toocool:

maddoc

I just became member of this forum and already found a lot of people I know, great ! :D

Cam, you can't go wrong with any Leica. M2/M3/M4 are all great to use (... and to fondle of course ! ;)) If you are concerned about focus, take a M3 ! If you plan to often use the 35mm ... M2 or M4. I have used the M3 for some time with the Noctilux and it worked great but ... 35mm with external finder was a no-go for me. M2 and M4 with 0.72x VF are sufficient for focusing the Noct also at night.

I would still recommend an M4-P because of your 75/1.4, though. All manual, 6 frame lines and build like a tank.

Decisions ...

Cheers,

Gabor

maddoc

About decisions ...

I went through: M6, MP, M3(with M2 finder), M4-P, M3 (again), M4, M3 (again), M4-P (again), M6TTL 0.85x, M4 (again), M5, M2, M6 (again) ...

Now I use M2, M4-P, M5, M6 in parallel. :eek: Two are metered, two are meterless and all are different but fun to use.

cam

LOL, Gabor! i certainly don't want to go through all that!!!

just when i had decided to go with an M3, the decision has been made for me -- a friend is loaning me one of his M2's.

very nervous and very excited.... if i load the film properly, i will be chuffed!

cam

that's what i'm doing, Erik.

it will be quite interesting -- i have two 35 pre-asphs and have never gotten to use them FF so i have no idea what that will be like (with the crop factor they're 50's on the Epson, my most used focal length). on my GRD-s, i love the 28mm but that's when i can get way closer than i will be able to with an RF. it will all be such an adventure!

helenhill

How Fun is that ...
Do Hope it Works for You
the Epson / M2 gals....:)

You will be HAPPY for me / I'm getting the Sonnar this Saturday ...can't wait!!!!

Last edited:

cam

thought you'd enjoy that!

maybe we can get the shutter upgrade and split the M8 50/50 :ROTFL: