The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another new instant film camera! The Impossible I-1 has shipped!

Godfrey

The Impossible Project's new I-1: The Impossible Project I-TYPE Film & Cameras

SX-70 film format, 600 speed film, AF/AE/multi mode flash illumination in-camera, Bluetooth external control via smartphone for remote operation, manual focus and exposure control, double exposure, and other functions. First new SX-70 format camera in 20 years or more...

It has arrived:

I won't have any time to work with it until I get through a boatload of work for the office, but I'm looking forward to making some photographs with it on Sunday. :)

G

Last edited:

chrism

Congratulations, Godfrey, this is the sort of thing that gets you going, I think. Looking forward to lots of results...

C.

Godfrey

I really applaud these guys for making it possible. Getting close to replicating what Polaroid achieved with the SX-70, which took 15-20 years and a couple of billion dollars in development money, on the shoestring investment and in the time they've had, is just an amazing feat to me.

I've had time now to open the box and start the camera charging. One of the changes they've made is to equip the camera with a high-capacity rechargeable battery rather than put a fresh one in every film pack, which is more environmentally friendly and lowers the cost of film per pack by 20%. With today's battery technology, this is a better solution than the SX-70's "new battery with every pack of film" required in the 1960s-1970s.

The camera is really cool. The iPhone controller app is nicely done too... Pictures coming soon. :)

G

Godfrey

All charged up. It presents a lovely light show on the photodiode-based ring flash:

Power off, press the shutter release, and you get a roll of lights telling you the battery state.

Power on, if no film loaded it warns you by flashing the top red LED.
Power on, if film loaded, it lets you know how many exposures you have left by showing a light for each of them when you power it on or when you tap the shutter release.

Switched to BlueTooth, and it a blue one to tell you it's looking for its app. Turn the app on your iPhone and it goes steady then powers off.

Loaded film and made a couple of exposures. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out. The processing motor is fast, the complete frog tongue protects the film as it comes out. Good stuff...

---

Ulp... I loaded it with expired beta test film. It will be quite amazing if anything comes out at all... ! Doh!

Godfrey

Ulp... I loaded it with expired beta test film. It will be quite amazing if anything comes out at all... ! Doh!
In fact, the photos from even that pack look darn good!

Impossible I-1
Impossible 600 Color v3 beta 1
scanned with Impossible app on iPad Pro 9.7

I used the self timer on the I-1 iPhone app to make the exposure. :)
It's a cool camera..!

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

I had a pleasant hour yesterday experimenting with the I-1 and its manual mode using my iPhone, learning how to make it work with SX-70 and 600 B&W film packs. The current generation B&W 600 is quite contrasty so you have to be careful of total dynamic range in your scene and using the flash for fill is important. Once you get the hang of it, you can get some very interesting results.

Impossible I-1
Impossible Yellow Duochrome film

We apologize for the model, but you work with what you have at hand.

enjoy!
G