The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flare with Leica film

jdphoto

I took a few pics at some seagulls and got this square flare in my pics. Is this from the rangefinder, viewfinder or a combo of both? Perhaps I could just tape over the little windows when shooting with a high degree of flare.

Bernard

The viewfinder/rangefinder system is not connected optically with the film chamber.

Is your lens hood square or rectangular? That could explain the shape of the flare. As far as the cause of the flare, you will need to provide more details. Almost any lens will flare if the Sun is right outside of the image area.

jdphoto

Here's two images looking straight at the sun and the square flare is pretty obvious. The second image has the sun off to the side, but you can make out the straight line between the tree and sun. The lens is a pre ASPH 50mm 1.4 and the lens hood is round and retracts into the lens. Thanks for any thoughts, ideas or workarounds.

JohnBrew

Which camera? I'll hazard a guess that it is rangefinder patch flare, although I never experienced it personally. Maybe try a filter and see if it still happens?

Godfrey

It can't be anything to do with the rangefinder system since that is totally independent of the taking lens. I think someone else said that already.

It is most likely reflections from inside the film chamber coupled with the lens hood, presuming a rectangular hood. Placing the sun directly in the frame will almost always cause some problems like this, with almost any lens and camera. The sun is an awfully strong point light source.

What lens are did you use for this photo?

G

jdphoto

It can't be anything to do with the rangefinder system since that is totally independent of the taking lens. I think someone else said that already.

It is most likely reflections from inside the film chamber coupled with the lens hood, presuming a rectangular hood. Placing the sun directly in the frame will almost always cause some problems like this, with almost any lens and camera. The sun is an awfully strong point light source.

What lens are did you use for this photo?

G
Hi Godfrey,
It's a Pre ASPH Summilux 1.4. I think you're right about film chamber reflections. Thanks for the input.

J