The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ67 vs Fuji GW690???

gsking

Thoughts on these two monsters? I've downsized my RB67 kit to a newer RZ with 110mm lens. I'm debating whether I'll keep it in addition to my 645AF kit.

I'm thinking the extra weight won't offset my minimal need for extra film size. On the other hand, a 6x9 Fuji would be lighter and provide more differentiation from my 6x4.5. I'd lose metering (right?), but that would be okay...

Anyone used both?

Greg

Francois_A

Another option could be a Mamiya 7. The advantages over the Fuji rangefinder are interchangeable lenses and metering.

schweikert

I have a full RZ ProIID kit and seven lenses. Nice camera but just hefty. I have a Fuji GW690III coming in a few days from an ebay impulse buy (with good research though). Lovely looking camera, and the large frame size makes it stand out from everything else I shoot with.

I'll post some feedback after a few days of shooting. I plan to develop my own B&W as I did a few years back. I'll send color neg to the local pro lab.

My goal is to use this when I am in the zen mood to go out and shoot simply for art sake. I still like film grain. I love negative film and I am honing my scanning skills again mainly for proofs and archiving to go side by side with all the digital files that sometimes un-inspire me.

Of course I know how all this will go. I'll shoot film this year for fun and art and then realize how much easier a high end digital cam is. I shoot with an Leaf Aptus back but it's lost its mojo for me. I am in search of new mojo. Plus 400 speed film is much better than my Aptus at 400.

Thoughts on these two monsters? I've downsized my RB67 kit to a newer RZ with 110mm lens. I'm debating whether I'll keep it in addition to my 645AF kit.

I'm thinking the extra weight won't offset my minimal need for extra film size. On the other hand, a 6x9 Fuji would be lighter and provide more differentiation from my 6x4.5. I'd lose metering (right?), but that would be okay...

Anyone used both?

Greg

Henry Goh

Anyone used both?

Greg
Greg,

Yes you would lose metering on the 690 but it is way lighter and works w/o batteries etc. Way nicer if you are travelling. I continue to keep mine despite low use these days.

schweikert

I have just starting shooting personal work with the GW690III. It is a nice camera, good build, exterior has a plastic feel but still solid. It's such a simple camera which is wonderful, no power, no metering, the shutter and aperture are just so easy with whole shutter detents and half stop aperture detents.

The viewfinder is bright and easy to use. The shutter has a very slight mechanical linkage feel, old school, but not an issue.

I am shooting 220 color neg and b&w neg this week. I'll post some more once I get film back.

I plan to do quick "contact sheet" scans on my Epson 3200, nothing fancy but with Vuescan, it does an excellent job with basic scans for cataloging.

What I do love is that I put more effort to think about what I am shooting to use fewer frames than I would with digital. No stress, just take pictures, and a week or so later get the enjoyment of seeing what I got.

After some time, I'll try a few rolls of transparency. Those would be gorgeous in 6x9 form, but I prefer getting the increased latitude of neg film. No different than shooting raw and working it later.

If you can find a good deal for a GW690II or III then go for it. It's plain fun. Isn't that what photography should be outside of our client work. I got a III in great condition for $600. I thought that was reasonable. I would pay that for yet another top end digital pocket cam.

Last edited:

gsking

I decided to stick with the RZ67, since it takes kickass photos, meters, and can be used digitally.

I tried a Super 23, but it was almost as heavy...and I decided that rangefinders drive me nutz.

Moreover, I already have a 6x6 Autocord that is small enough that I even took it on vacation. Not many keepers, but the few that came out were quite stunning. A good option to consider since they are rather cheap.

Greg