Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

nei1

Re: What to do?

One of my favourite ever cars,went down to caterham for a test drive and ordered one on the spot,had to cancel a few months later and still lust after one,one of my bigger regrets.Have to say it looks good.Is that a Healey on the left and an e-type?

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

Will you only be scanning 35mm or also 120mm? If only 35mm the coolscan is probably enough.

Reeray: Great shot and even nicer car!

Cheers
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    One of my favourite ever cars,went down to caterham for a test drive and ordered one on the spot,had to cancel a few months later and still lust after one,one of my bigger regrets.Have to say it looks good.Is that a Healey on the left and an e-type?
    Yes - A Healy 3 litre and a Jaguar E-Type.

Gaydon test centre in Warwickshire - visitors day.

Post Thanks / Like

Another from the V700 and one to make your mouth water

Lister-Jaguar 7 litre "Le Mans" twin turbo convertible. A cool 150,000 UKPS new in 1995 (ish)!

Rollei 6006 - Velvia

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI William
    Quote Originally Posted by emmawest72 View Post
    Jono,

Will you only be scanning 35mm or also 120mm? If only 35mm the coolscan is probably enough.
    I no longer have the coolscan - it was a 5000, and it drove me crazy, principally because one had to scan shot by shot - and that meant that it had to be on my main machine . . . which meant I couldn't really do anything else at the same time.

I've been using one of the other Epson scanners to scan old negs - which produces A4 quality scans - quite enough for my purposes, and if there is something special I can get it scanned professionally. This is great, as I can do 24 shots at once, and on a different machine, so it's 10 minutes or so choosing and dealing with the thumbnails, and then let it run - doesn't matter if it takes an hour.

I am considering having another play with film (I don't really want to, but with Cam and Helen around here it's the only way to get back in with the girls )

My line of thought was that if the V700 did good enough scans for an A3 sized print . . . then it would make life bearable shooting film and I might grab myself a leica M body. It would be mostly (if not all) black and white, and more about atmosphere than resolution (I have my A900 for that).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I am considering having another play with film (I don't really want to, but with Cam and Helen around here it's the only way to get back in with the girls )
    ah, sweet!!!

film and i aren't getting along right now -- but i'm afraid that has more to do with me than it.... after being charged 28€ (!) for C41 developing and prints, i've decided back to the kitchen sink. unfortunately, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth and i now have a hesitation i never did with digital -- is this shot really worth it? -- and, in the time i take to think about it, the shot is gone

i'm thinking i still need a crutch (i.e., dig camera) so i'll have a used M8 next week to help me make the transition. there is still nothing quite like the look of b/w film, i just need to get over my idiotic fear of wasting it.... and it would be grand to have you along for the ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Cam,

It's that same sticker shock that I had the last time I tried film too, a few years ago. I had an M6TTL and an M7 and I shot a friend's wedding and the cost of the developing and printing pushed me to sell it all and go back to digital. I'm hoping this time to find a less costly way to do things, like just getting the processing done and then scan and print myself. I might even go the kitchen sink routine too for the developing to minimize costs even further. After digital, film is certainly a paradigm shift in how "free" you are with taking the shots.

Ciao,

Simon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    ah, sweet!!!

film and i aren't getting along right now -- but i'm afraid that has more to do with me than it.... after being charged 28€ (!) for C41 developing and prints, i've decided back to the kitchen sink. unfortunately, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth and i now have a hesitation i never did with digital -- is this shot really worth it? -- and, in the time i take to think about it, the shot is gone
    I AM sweet (but you already know that)

Your problem is, I'm afraid, that you're a woman, and can therefore multi-task. I am, on the other hand, a man, so I can't: this means that I'm incapable of considering how much it costs when I press the shutter.

It would seem that sometimes it's an advantage to be inferior (at least until you get your bank statement).
    Last edited by jonoslack; 26th March 2009 at 13:23.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam & Jono.....
    Are you two Wousies
    ???

Cam's silliness about getting the right shot,spending too much money on developing & missing the right shot had me in
    and Jono with multi tasking.....

I Can Sympathize
    however now that I'm developing and am buying the V700 this Saturday
    Film is no longer a Major Expense
    and when You really look at what your getting
    The actual Beauty & Atmosphere of the IMAGE
    theres nothing More Special or Intoxicating than B&W Film

xoxo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Cam & Jono.....
    Are you two Wousies
    ???
    HI Helen
    I can't speak for CAM, but I'm definitely a Wous. It's a long proven fact. However, assuming I do choose a film camera (which, of course, as I'm a Wous is rather unlikely) it doesn't help me to decide whether to get an M4 . . . or an M7 (which seem to be the choices I've boiled it down to).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Helen
    I can't speak for CAM, but I'm definitely a Wous. It's a long proven fact. However, assuming I do choose a film camera (which, of course, as I'm a Wous is rather unlikely) it doesn't help me to decide whether to get an M4 . . . or an M7 (which seem to be the choices I've boiled it down to).
    M4 or M7 Seem like two different animals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sticker shock??!? You wozzes try 8x10 Velvia at $10 a pop, plus $8 development. Kinda gives a whole new meaning to "make every shot count". But the view on the light table is truly priceless.

Speaking of which there used to be an annual 24-hour photo marathon in Stockholm - every contestant was given a 24-exposure roll, and a new theme was presented every hour.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    M4 or M7 Seem like two different animals.
    Well, the logic is that if I want an exposure meter, then I may as well go all the way and get the M7 (which will be nicely compatable with the M8 I'm keeping). If I can do without the meter, then the M4 is a fairly obvious way to go.

Trouble is that there is this nice minty 0.58 M7 tickling my credit card.

Oh Dear - and it's all your fault

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JONO-
    Your last B&W M8 shot was DIVINE....
    Where do you find those Clouds
    soooo Beautiful
    I wonder what that will look like w/Film

and BEWARE of Madame Flood /Cindy
    She will have You shooting Medium Format sooooon....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would say that there is really something to be said for the M7 and the compatibility with the M8. I have always used my M8 side by side with an M that worked backwards to the M8. My mind always seemed to be able to remember which one was going which way , but having them behave the same would make for one less thing to focus on.
    I personally love M5 (I've had 3 over the years) and my newest, M4P. M5--you either love it or hate it. It doesn't just fit in your hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JONO-
    Your last B&W M8 shot was DIVINE....
    Where do you find those Clouds
    soooo Beautiful
    I wonder what that will look like w/Film

and BEWARE of Madame Flood /Cindy
    She will have You shooting Medium Format sooooon....
    Jono has led me down the path once or twice himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    ah, sweet!!!

i'm thinking i still need a crutch (i.e., dig camera) so i'll have a used M8 next week to help me make the transition. there is still nothing quite like the look of b/w film, i just need to get over my idiotic fear of wasting it.... and it would be grand to have you along for the ride!
    Cam,

I see you are in Paris so may I recommend you go to Negatif + for your film developments ( blvd Lafayette - pls check exact address on google as I can't remember). They also have a very extensive website.

Good luck!
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono has led me down the path once or twice himself.
    Moi? surely not?
    I don't fancy an M5, liking the smaller size

Helen, thank you for the compliment. I find the clouds . . . . in the sky (although, if I succumb to this M7, they may reappear in my bank balance!).
    Guy made a concerted attempt to get me into MF last year . . . to no avail, I'm much to lazy to be fiddling about with the kit.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Moi? surely not?
    I don't fancy an M5, liking the smaller size

Helen, thank you for the compliment. I find the clouds . . . . in the sky (although, if I succumb to this M7, they may reappear in my bank balance!).
    Guy made a concerted attempt to get me into MF last year . . . to no avail, I'm much to lazy to be fiddling about with the kit.

You could join Tim and I with our Rolleiflexes. No kit...just one small camera, a couple of rolls of film and a filter or two. You will already be set with the V700.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like epson will be making good business selling v700 for the next few days...
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i think that superclean 503/80mm hasselblad is still for sale...under $700. looks like a beauty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i think that superclean 503/80mm hasselblad is still for sale...under $700. looks like a beauty
    Jim , Whats the difference between the 503 & 500C
    can you post a Pix or tell me where to Look Please ....
    Cheers-H

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i think he had it sold and the deal fell through. the pictures of the camera were compelling, to say the least.
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6057

not sure of the model differences
    looks like kit is sniffing around...

jm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You could join Tim and I with our Rolleiflexes. No kit...just one small camera, a couple of rolls of film and a filter or two. You will already be set with the V700.
    HI Cindy
    really not me - really REALLY not. However, that 500 / 80 looks very lovely and tempting . . . . I'm just not serious enough

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim , Whats the difference between the 503 & 500C
    can you post a Pix or tell me where to Look Please ....
    Cheers-H
    Helen, the differences between the 503CW and 500C:

Basically the same tactile shooting experience, however the 503 has a better focusing screen (Acute Mat), better mirror system (doesn't vignette the top portion viewing with certain lenses), and has a built-in TTL flash meter (no exposure meter ... just a flash meter).

The 503CW model you would want goes to ISO 3200 on the TTL flash meter dial on the left side of the camera. Older models only went to ISO 800 and are less desireable.

The 503CW is still in production, and is the camera sold with the CFV-II digital back made specifically for all of the Hasselblad V cameras.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Just for clarification: that camera is a 500CM, not a 503CW. It is also a black version (no chrome piping around the edges), but doesn't come with the matching black film back ... which are harder to find in good condition than the chrome versions.

Sequence of models (from memory, which can be faulty : -): 500C, 500CM, 501CM, 503CW.

"C" stands for Central shutter (or maybe Compur shutter, I can't remember exactly) ... but indicates the leaf type shutter inside the lens which flash sync's to 1/500th.

the 1000F, 2000F, and 200FE (plus others) types of Hasselbald cameras have the shutter in the camera, (the "F" indicates focal plane shutter) The focal plane cameras provide higher top shutter speeds of 1/1000 or 1/2000th but a slow top flash sync speed of 1/90th. The "E" in FE lenses stands for Electronic which utilizes electronic data bus contacts that feed info to the 200 series cameras for their internal exposure meters. These lenses tend to offer larger maximum apertures and include the famous 110/2F and FE lens.

All CF, CFi and CFE lenses can be used on a 200 series camera, but none of the F and FE lenses can be used on a 500 series camera which do not have a shutter in the camera.

I know, more info than you wanted ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few thoughts on keeping film as part of your creative options in the digital age.

Just like trying to compare B&W film with B&W digital, the expectations should be different and kept separate IMO. Film offers a purer shooting experience in a way because the processing part can't creep into the shooting part of the photographic experience. There is no LCD to constantly chimp, and films specific type of latitude deals with minor exposure errors.

In reality, cost factors boil down to the price of the film itself and proofing if any. Prints afterwards cost the same with film or digital. I only have my films developed without any proofs for a few dollars a roll and make my own contact sheets on a flatbed.

Scanning is something you are either dedicated to or not. I have always used two scanners ... currently an Epson V750 Pro and a dedicated film scanner. The Epson can do a respectable job with MF film, but in my experience is dismal for 35mm except when used to make contact sheets. 35mm samples from a flat bed can look okay if the image was shot in good light and was multi-scanned. But when the lighting gets challenging (and atmospheric as Helen puts it), then the flat beds start showing their inherent weaknesses compared to most desk-top dedicated film scanners.

It is difficult to evaluate this on the web using sub 1 meg sRGB images ... one has to see a comparison of the same neg. scanned by both types of scanners then printed ... even an 8"X10" will reveal the obvious visual differences.

This is not to knock those using a flatbed in any way. It may fit their needs, and to spend more would be pushing it financially for the amount of film they may shoot ... plus, they can send for a better scan for images they deem worthy of the cost.

However, someone shooting a Leica M and superb Leica lenses with all their resolving power, subtile charms and micro contrast, may not be all that thrilled with the results from a flat bed ... even one as good as the Epson V700/750. A used Minolta 5400 (not the 5400II which is better for color but worst for B&W) or Nikon dedicated scanner may be the better choice.

For those on a budget and aren't scanning all that many films but like to keep that option open creatively, there may be a dedicated 35mm scanner for you @ $239.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

I have no idea if this scanner is any good or not, but the specs look decent (7200 dpi un-interpolated, and a 3.5 D Max) and the reviews seem to look pretty good.

Or this 3600 dpi optical resolution model for $270 (less a $50 rebate = $220.) that includes Digital Ice for color scans or C41 type B&W scans:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m_Scanner.html

Again, I don't have a clue as to the "real" performance of these dedicated film scanners but would strongly suspect they are not made for any kind of volume and are more for the occasional scan, but at those incredibly low prices it may warrant further research. If anyone has any experience with these please add your comments.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Marc
    I've read some remarks to the effect that the V700 is better than the V750 for film scans due to the coating on the V750?

Whatever, many thanks for your observations. I have a credit over here for a lens, and I think I'll put it against a V700, do some scans and see what I think. In the meantime I couldn't resist a mint 0.58 M7 for £1300 in the UK with 6 months warranty. I'll have a day to check the scanner out before finally committing. My 35 asph chrome 'cron will cover nearly all the cost of the M7.

If you prove to be right about the V700 and I'm having fun, then I'll be in the market for a better scanner (irritatingly I gave away a minolta 5400 a couple of years ago).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Marc
    I've read some remarks to the effect that the V700 is better than the V750 for film scans due to the coating on the V750?

Whatever, many thanks for your observations. I have a credit over here for a lens, and I think I'll put it against a V700, do some scans and see what I think. In the meantime I couldn't resist a mint 0.58 M7 for £1300 in the UK with 6 months warranty. I'll have a day to check the scanner out before finally committing. My 35 asph chrome 'cron will cover nearly all the cost of the M7.

If you prove to be right about the V700 and I'm having fun, then I'll be in the market for a better scanner (irritatingly I gave away a minolta 5400 a couple of years ago).
    The glass coating on the two 700 series Epsons is different? Can you elaborate on that? I have read that the V700/750 had improved glass coating compared to the previous 4990, but nothing about the 2 700 Epsons.

My impression is that the V750 Pro is exactly the same scanner as the V700, but comes with the Fluid Mounting Tray, more powerful software ( Silverfast A16 verses Silverfast LE,) and the 750 comes with Monaco's scanner and printer profiling software.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The glass coating on the two 700 series Epsons is different? Can you elaborate on that? I have read that the V700/750 had improved glass coating compared to the previous 4990, but nothing about the 2 700 Epsons.

My impression is that the V750 Pro is exactly the same scanner as the V700, but comes with the Fluid Mounting Tray, more powerful software ( Silverfast A16 verses Silverfast LE,) and the 750 comes with Monaco's scanner and printer profiling software.
    HI Marc:

Quote Originally Posted by silverfast website

The Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner is aimed at the high end consumer market, whereas the V750 is targeted for the professional user.
    The main difference between the two models is the V750 has an Anti-Reflection Optical Coating. This coating is applied to the CCD glass to eliminate or minimize the amount of reflections. Abnormal Ghost images are reduced.
    The V750 includes the full version of SilverFast Ai 6 together with Monaco EZ Colour management solution.
    Silverfast website

There has been some talk as to whether this coating has a deleterious effect when scanning 35mm film (but what do I know). I think it was Cindy who told me about this, maybe someone else knows more.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those on a budget and aren't scanning all that many films but like to keep that option open creatively, there may be a dedicated 35mm scanner for you @ $239.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

I have no idea if this scanner is any good or not, but the specs look decent (7200 dpi un-interpolated, and a 3.5 D Max) and the reviews seem to look pretty good._Film_Scanner.html[/url]

Again, I don't have a clue as to the "real" performance of these dedicated film scanners but would strongly suspect they are not made for any kind of volume and are more for the occasional scan, but at those incredibly low prices it may warrant further research. If anyone has any experience with these please add your comments.
    this is the one we have and i promise to report back as soon as i use it properly -- i.e., have a shot i really like and care to properly dicker around with it.

for quick scans to see what you've got, it's brilliant if a little tedious and slow. for more complex scans, my "other" isn't convinced but he's waiting for me to try as i have more patience with these things.

it looks like the sun may finally show itself and i really want to play around with my 75 Lux so hopefully i'll have something decent, at least, to show for it by next week.... i promise to report back.

nei1

"A good photographer can get great images from mediocre equipment provided he knows it's limits. But it is a struggle to get really high quality scans from mediocre scanners and the results will never match what can be achieved with a higher quality scanner.

No matter how good you are in PhotoShop, doing major color correction, dodging, burning, touching up dirt & scratches, and then sharpening - all just to get an image that matches your original slide to use as a starting point is a terrible waste of time. Yet that's exactly the corner that a mediocre scanner paints you into."

Ill shut up now,...........Neil.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A good photographer can get great images from mediocre equipment provided he knows it's limits. But it is a struggle to get really high quality scans from mediocre scanners and the results will never match what can be achieved with a higher quality scanner.

No matter how good you are in PhotoShop, doing major color correction, dodging, burning, touching up dirt & scratches, and then sharpening - all just to get an image that matches your original slide to use as a starting point is a terrible waste of time. Yet that's exactly the corner that a mediocre scanner paints you into..
    What's this 'colour' stuf of which you speak?

Ill shut up now,...........Neil.
    Surely not

on a more serious note.
    Actually, as discussed earlier - the reason I lost the will to live in my last venture into film is that it was taking me above 2 hours to scan a film using my Nikon 5000 . . . and of course, as per normal, one wouldn't really be interested in more than half a dozen shots (if lucky). That means that 1hr 40 minutes is simply wasted time.

If you can get 80% of the quality from a V700 in 10 minutes, then you can pick out those special 6 (if you're lucky) and deal with them in 20 minutes on a better scanner (sounds like 1.1/2 hours saved). That time is really important to me, but what is even MORE important is the perception of wasted time (which I really hate).

Just this guy you know

nei1

There are quote marks around this ,its from an article on minolta scanners not written by me.What you say has its logic and if I could afford to have both a V750 and a minolta5400 then I would;..but if I could only afford to have one then convenience does not enter the equation,it would be like paying a fortune for the latest enlarger and using a milk bottle bottom as a lens.You wouldnt expect to get the clarity you like by using such a lens on an M8.This is an obvious exageration but in this case valid.Were all talking about an ellusive quality of film that "siver effex pro"etc cant really copy(obviously);.....well if you dont extract every possible nuance from the film that "ellusive quality"will be left behind.

As for wasting time,it is time consuming and the files are huge but after the first scan it can be worked on while the second is running.................Neil.

Ill shut up now(smile)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"A good photographer can get great images from mediocre equipment provided he knows it's limits. But it is a struggle to get really high quality scans from mediocre scanners and the results will never match what can be achieved with a higher quality scanner.

No matter how good you are in PhotoShop, doing major color correction, dodging, burning, touching up dirt & scratches, and then sharpening - all just to get an image that matches your original slide to use as a starting point is a terrible waste of time. Yet that's exactly the corner that a mediocre scanner paints you into."
    i'm speaking for myself only (though i do agree with Jono here -- what colour?) -- if i have a truly stupendous shot, chances are good that i'll take it around the corner and have it professionally scanned.

in the meanwhile, i'd rather have a low-priced mediocre scanner that allows me to see what i'm getting (including checking my baby steps in home developing and my constant amazement at the amount of dust we seem to have in our loo, um, er, drying room) as i learn. it makes far more sense than pouring hundreds (thousands?) of dollars i don't have into a scanner when i haven't taken any shots to show i'm worthy of it.

a great scanner isn't going to make me a better film photographer any more than an updated M would. have pity on us that don't have all your knowledge and experience in the film arena, Neil.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are quote marks around this ,its from an article on minolta scanners not written by me.What you say has its logic and if I could afford to have both a V750 and a minolta5400 then I would;..but if I could only afford to have one then convenience does not enter the equation,it would be like paying a fortune for the latest enlarger and using a milk bottle bottom as a lens.You wouldnt expect to get the clarity you like by using such a lens on an M8.This is an obvious exageration but in this case valid.Were all talking about an ellusive quality of film that "siver effex pro"etc cant really copy(obviously);.....well if you dont extract every possible nuance from the film that "ellusive quality"will be left behind.
    Well, fair enough (and I have no argument with the statement). Whether the V700 falls into that category is a moot point however - William seems to think it good enough to sell his coolscan.

As for wasting time,it is time consuming and the files are huge but after the first scan it can be worked on while the second is running.................Neil.
    It isn't the time taken on the GOOD shots that I resent, it's the time taken on the BAD shots.

Of course, things are different for different people; what one can afford is relative, I could, for instance, say that 3 hours of my time will pay for a V700, but for me, what's more to the point is the irritation of the futility of wasting time. Even if I wasn't working for that 3 hours, it would be 3 hours shooting time/sleeping time/reading time/posting here time.

What stopped me shooting film the last time around was the amount of 'dead' time that it seemed to propogate.

Ill shut up now(smile)

Just this guy you know

nei1

Cam,I have very much an idiots brief,the seat of my pants is indeed on its last legs,but if Im certain of a thing Ill say it.Its a lot of work even in photoshop to spot the print and get it as you like it,many hours at times,a good scan will give you the chance of a good print,a soft scan is just a waste of time........alllllll the best,,,Neil.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

,a good scan will give you the chance of a good print,a soft scan is just a waste of time........alllllll the best,,,Neil.
    Ah, but, the $10,000 question . . does the V700 produce soft scans? William says they're okay (so he's sold his coolscan)

Just this guy you know

nei1

Just William?I always preferred the Famous Five......coolscan v5 minolta5400 mk1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah, but, the $10,000 question . . does the V700 produce soft scans? William says they're okay (so he's sold his coolscan)
    Ahhhh, but $10,000. you can get an Imacon and the question is answered.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ahhhh, but $10,000. you can get an Imacon and the question is answered.
    Yes - all the questions . . . except the one about paying off the credit card bill

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just William?I always preferred the Famous Five....
    Now I understand the difference between us . . Famous Five indeed!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

yes, the v700 produces softer scans than the coolscan but with some sharpening you get fantastic prints. For me print is the final step as I'm not interested in comparing scans at 200% on screen. Now if I had $10,000 i would also get an Imacon but this is not the case:-)

Do you have any shops/people close by which could let you try them?

Cheers,
    William
    Website
    FB Page

nei1

Theres something about that George...............wonder if shed let me touch her imacon?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes - all the questions . . . except the one about paying off the credit card bill
    Or avoiding the hit man your wife hired for only $1,000.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an old thread but I am wondering about what to do with the shelf full of files holding 35mm and MF trannies. The thought of slaving away scanning them gives me the jeebies. When I think I have hardly looked at this lot for over 10 years and, if I am lucky enough to live that long, would not touch them for another 10 years or more, you gotta wonder what the point is. We could do with a de-clutter, I might actually enjoy looking at the pictures once they have been digitised and then throw the originals away!

The Epson V700 still seems a good value option for doing this, though nearly £400 is a lot for me really for this task.

Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on this or maybe alternative cheaper scanners these days?

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know about the v600?

Lee

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Huge waste of time, money and effort.

Pack them all up and let someone else scan them for you.

Prices range from 15¢ ea. to this company that scans on a high res Nikon 9000 with Digital Ice Pro, and then hand corrects each slide ... for 39¢ ea. but allows up to a 20% rejection refund. 1,000 slides for $390 less $78 rejection. Or do a quick light-box review and cull out junk and dupe shots to get the price down.

Convert Slides to Digital Pictures, Slide Scanning Service, 35mm Slides to DVD, Slides to CD,

Lots of happy campers have used this service, and lots of recommendations, including National Geo.

You will thank me ...

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

There is some pleasure to be had in scanning, as long as you can take pride in a job well done - something that can be achieved with proper exploitation of software and hardware. If you can see what I mean by this and are not turned off by the concept, my advice would be to use the opportunity to re-select the best of the best of your stored slides and scan only those. On the other hand, if you shrink from the thought, go with a commercial service. I might have a slightly abnormal viewpoint, since I find myself with five film scanners and remain curious about the promised MF Plustek....

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Well the Plustek Opticfilm 120 is available to pre-order in the UK for £2000. So I guess £400 for the Epson flatbed doesn't seem so bad after all.

Yes, I have lots of dupes but lots of precious singles too - and I can't tell how 'good' they are until they are magnified somewhat, perhaps by scanning!

Of course the premise that to buy a largish scanner to sit on the desk so that I can throw away all those slides is a false one.

I'll not live long enough to listen again to all those CDs on the shelf either, except maybe if I just start now ...

Lee