The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What to do?

jonoslack

Nice one Simon,I would think twice about the epson scanner,it is not good enough for 35mmm,look forward to seeing your first shots........best,Neil.
Hi Nei1
William seems pleased with his Epson . . . . (aren't you William?)

N

nei1

William shoots 6x6 mainly Jono(thats a much bigger neg Jono) and the epson is perfect for that size of negative.

Im sorry Jono, I thought you understood all of this.......best of luck,Neil.

Lars

Yep the Epsons have a reputation of being slightly soft/blurry. True resolving power seems to be approx. half of nominal CCD resolution. The sweet spot for Epson scanners is 4x5". A Nikon 35mm scanner isn't that expensive. And there are lots of other good dedicated 35mm scanners.

jonoslack

William shoots 6x6 mainly Jono(thats a much bigger neg Jono) and the epson is perfect for that size of negative.

Im sorry Jono, I thought you understood all of this.......best of luck,Neil.
Hi Neil
I understand nothing . . . . I thought you understood this by now :p
:ROTFL:

N

nei1

Well Ive learnt a lot from your posts jono,long may you continue,.........Neil.

simonclivehughes

Gents,

Thanks for the feedback on the choice of scanner. I guess I've got a lot of research to do on this at some point. I'm really hoping that I can get something that is cost effective and yet still gives a good result for 35mm. Any further suggestions on this topic would be gratefully received.

Ciao,

emmawest72

Hi Nei1
William seems pleased with his Epson . . . . (aren't you William?)
I'm very pleased with my Epson V700( had it for a week now). I use it mostly for medium format but I have also scanned a lot of 35mm to the point where my coolscan left me yesterday. I have been using the coolscan iV (2900 dpi) since beginning of 2002 and the result are very nice.

I scanned a lot of 35 mm with the epson v700 for the past few days just to see how it would hold up and I was pleasantly surprised. Negs are scanned at 3200 dpi (epson holders) with silverfast SE and post is done in PS. The main difference is that you need to sharpen the negs a bit more with the v700. I did some prints yesterday from 35mm on a epson 2880, print size 11x17 and wow! I have alsways said that there is quite a difference between looking at a screeen and prints and I will stick to that. I prefer to spend my $$ on film and prints and therefore decided to buy the v700. In case I have a really difficult neg/slide I will just get it drumscanned at the local lab.

For medium format it rocks too!

Hope this helps.
Cheers,

jonoslack

I'm very pleased with my Epson V700( had it for a week now). I use it mostly for medium format but I have also scanned a lot of 35mm to the point where my coolscan left me yesterday. I have been using the coolscan iV (2900 dpi) since beginning of 2002 and the result are very nice.

I scanned a lot of 35 mm with the epson v700 for the past few days just to see how it would hold up and I was pleasantly surprised. Negs are scanned at 3200 dpi (epson holders) with silverfast SE and post is done in PS. The main difference is that you need to sharpen the negs a bit more with the v700. I did some prints yesterday from 35mm on a epson 2880, print size 11x17 and wow! I have alsways said that there is quite a difference between looking at a screeen and prints and I will stick to that. I prefer to spend my $$ on film and prints and therefore decided to buy the v700. In case I have a really difficult neg/slide I will just get it drumscanned at the local lab.

For medium format it rocks too!

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Thank you William - it certainly does.
I have one of the older Epson scanners, and I just wanted these words to tip me over the edge - I'll be picking up a V700 on Monday.

Whether to buy a film M to go with it is another matter . . .

ReeRay

The V700 aren't that bad on 35mm

Shot c.15 years ago - Canon T90 - Velvia - cropped to remove rubbish.

Last edited:
N

nei1

One of my favourite ever cars,went down to caterham for a test drive and ordered one on the spot,had to cancel a few months later and still lust after one,one of my bigger regrets.Have to say it looks good.Is that a Healey on the left and an e-type?

emmawest72

Jono,

Will you only be scanning 35mm or also 120mm? If only 35mm the coolscan is probably enough.

Reeray: Great shot and even nicer car!

Cheers

ReeRay

One of my favourite ever cars,went down to caterham for a test drive and ordered one on the spot,had to cancel a few months later and still lust after one,one of my bigger regrets.Have to say it looks good.Is that a Healey on the left and an e-type?
Yes - A Healy 3 litre and a Jaguar E-Type.

Gaydon test centre in Warwickshire - visitors day.

ReeRay

Another from the V700 and one to make your mouth water

Lister-Jaguar 7 litre "Le Mans" twin turbo convertible. A cool 150,000 UKPS new in 1995 (ish)!

Rollei 6006 - Velvia

jonoslack

HI William
Jono,

Will you only be scanning 35mm or also 120mm? If only 35mm the coolscan is probably enough.
I no longer have the coolscan - it was a 5000, and it drove me crazy, principally because one had to scan shot by shot - and that meant that it had to be on my main machine . . . which meant I couldn't really do anything else at the same time.

I've been using one of the other Epson scanners to scan old negs - which produces A4 quality scans - quite enough for my purposes, and if there is something special I can get it scanned professionally. This is great, as I can do 24 shots at once, and on a different machine, so it's 10 minutes or so choosing and dealing with the thumbnails, and then let it run - doesn't matter if it takes an hour.

I am considering having another play with film (I don't really want to, but with Cam and Helen around here it's the only way to get back in with the girls :ROTFL:)

My line of thought was that if the V700 did good enough scans for an A3 sized print . . . then it would make life bearable shooting film and I might grab myself a leica M body. It would be mostly (if not all) black and white, and more about atmosphere than resolution (I have my A900 for that).

cam

I am considering having another play with film (I don't really want to, but with Cam and Helen around here it's the only way to get back in with the girls :ROTFL:)
ah, sweet!!!

film and i aren't getting along right now -- but i'm afraid that has more to do with me than it.... after being charged 28€ (!) for C41 developing and prints, i've decided back to the kitchen sink. unfortunately, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth and i now have a hesitation i never did with digital -- is this shot really worth it? -- and, in the time i take to think about it, the shot is gone :(

i'm thinking i still need a crutch (i.e., dig camera) so i'll have a used M8 next week to help me make the transition. there is still nothing quite like the look of b/w film, i just need to get over my idiotic fear of wasting it.... and it would be grand to have you along for the ride!

simonclivehughes

Cam,

It's that same sticker shock that I had the last time I tried film too, a few years ago. I had an M6TTL and an M7 and I shot a friend's wedding and the cost of the developing and printing pushed me to sell it all and go back to digital. I'm hoping this time to find a less costly way to do things, like just getting the processing done and then scan and print myself. I might even go the kitchen sink routine too for the developing to minimize costs even further. After digital, film is certainly a paradigm shift in how "free" you are with taking the shots.

Ciao,

Simon

jonoslack

ah, sweet!!!

film and i aren't getting along right now -- but i'm afraid that has more to do with me than it.... after being charged 28€ (!) for C41 developing and prints, i've decided back to the kitchen sink. unfortunately, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth and i now have a hesitation i never did with digital -- is this shot really worth it? -- and, in the time i take to think about it, the shot is gone :(
I AM sweet (but you already know that) :ROTFL:

Your problem is, I'm afraid, that you're a woman, and can therefore multi-task. I am, on the other hand, a man, so I can't: this means that I'm incapable of considering how much it costs when I press the shutter. :angel:

It would seem that sometimes it's an advantage to be inferior (at least until you get your bank statement). :)

Last edited:

helenhill

Cam & Jono.....
Are you two Wousies
??? :)

Cam's silliness about getting the right shot,spending too much money on developing & missing the right shot had me in :ROTFL:
and Jono with multi tasking.....:ROTFL:

I Can Sympathize
however now that I'm developing and am buying the V700 this Saturday
Film is no longer a Major Expense
and when You really look :bugeyes: at what your getting
The actual Beauty & Atmosphere of the IMAGE
theres nothing More Special or Intoxicating than B&W Film

xoxo

jonoslack

Cam & Jono.....
Are you two Wousies
??? :)
HI Helen
I can't speak for CAM, but I'm definitely a Wous. It's a long proven fact. However, assuming I do choose a film camera (which, of course, as I'm a Wous is rather unlikely) it doesn't help me to decide whether to get an M4 . . . or an M7 (which seem to be the choices I've boiled it down to).
:)