The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M mount choice

Tim

I have a desire to re-invest in a M-mount film camera. I had a Konica Hexar RF and a Leica MP (2002 version) in the past at separate times.

I intend to run either a 35mm or 50mm lens. Preferably Leica but maybe Zeiss or other.

Right now I am considering a M6 but notice prices have risen.
The Hexar offer battery AE and autowinder the M6 a more classic device.
Ok, I will admit to 49% its a collector/user/fondler however I love the look of the scanned film that I get from my Minolta 5400.

What would you choose between the Hexar RF or the M6 or should I look even older like an M4 or go nuts and try a 500c/m Blad instead ?
Tim

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a desire to re-invest in a M-mount film camera. I had a Konica Hexar RF and a Leica MP (2002 version) in the past at separate times.

I intend to run either a 35mm or 50mm lens. Preferably Leica but maybe Zeiss or other.

Right now I am considering a M6 but notice prices have risen.
The Hexar offer battery AE and autowinder the M6 a more classic device.
Ok, I will admit to 49% its a collector/user/fondler however I love the look of the scanned film that I get from my Minolta 5400.

What would you choose between the Hexar RF or the M6 or should I look even older like an M4 or go nuts and try a 500c/m Blad instead ?
Tim
It dosn't matter. Most quality film cameras are satisfying to use. If it was me, I would find a lens first, then a body to mount it on. If it was me, I'd probably go for the Blad, but I bought a Mamiya 645 to fill that space.

Godfrey

Well, if you love the look of film scanned with your Minolta 5400 scanner, don't go with medium format because you won't be able to scan its films with that. :D There's a world of difference between a Hasselblad 6x6 SLR and a Leica M 35mm RF camera. You generally don't tend to shoot the same subjects, or the same way, with these two cameras. Both are outstanding cameras.

For a 35mm camera, I prefer a Leica M over the Konica or Zeiss or Voigtländer competing models for a couple of reasons: First is the feel of the body and controls, the second is the availability of service. The third is that I'm simply too used to what the Leicas are...! When I returned to Leica M mount in 2011 and wanted "one last film M for the remainder of Time", I chose a first production run M4-2 body. It has my favorite viewfinder, same frame lines as the M4 before they changed the optics to brighten them (and increased RF patch flare as a consequence); it has a hot shoe sync terminal; it can take a winder should I so choose (never have). And it was very reasonably priced. It's still my favorite film M body: I haven't missed having a built-in meter and I almost always have either a 35 or 50 mm lens on it.

I also have a fairly complete Hasselblad 500CM + 500SWC kit. I use it just slightly more than I use the M4-2, mostly because I end up wasting so much film with the M4-2 because I rarely use up a roll of 35mm film in less than two months and I get impatient to see what I've captured. It's much easier for me to use a whole 12 exposure roll than a 36 shot roll. :D

Buying a film camera today for anyone who grew up with film is a very personal decision, and doesn't necessary come from a rational and objective point of view. It's all good. Buy what you think is going to make you happy and enjoy it!

G

gnuyork

I have the Leica M6 and love it. I've shot the Hasselblad and want it. I also have a Rolleiflex and I think that has become my new favorite.

Photon42

Leica Ms and HB 500s are really quite different. Operational speed, viewing the subject, number of frames, metering, scanning, look, ... Almost everything, only commonality being both use film. You seem to know how a Leica handles and operates. If you have used a Hexar, you may also have noticed its range finder base length is shorter than the one from the MP. The only non Leica Rangefinder I would use nowadays is possibly the Zeiss Ikon ZI.

jdphoto

I sold my MP and bought an M2-R. They made 2000 of these with the quick load like the MP. No need for a meter. Uncluttered viewfinder that really makes a difference than one with a meter. It's an amazing camera and has a 50mm Lux Pre ASPH or 28mm Elmarit. Personally, I didn't like the plastic tip on the M4 rewind. It just didn't fit the Leica gestalt imo. If you'll mainly shoot with one lens, I'd also consider a Rolleiflex 3.5 or 2.8. These are beautifully built, with Zeiss lenses and quite compact compared to the Hasselblad.