The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M2-R prices

jdphoto

The Leica M2-R could be had several months ago for approximately $1200 - $1500 for a good example with CLA. Now prices are north of $2400. Leica only produced 2000 of the M2-R's, so maybe that drives the current market that once seemed to favor the M3 as the pinnacle of Leica film cameras.

pegelli

The M2-R is a bit of a rare beast indeed. It's basically a normal M2 with a self timer (some later M2's had this as well) and the rapid film loading system that came into use as of the M4. So if the market on these is so hot suddenly I think that's indicating they got in the view of the collectors as a rarity (which it really is, given the low production number of these units).

I'll just be happy with my old M2 (w/o self timer), for a user and occasional film shooting such a high mark-up for the R-version is not justified for me.