The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Traveling the south of the US on two-lane highways and country roads

rmueller

Hi,

my wife and myself just returned from a three week road trip in the United States. We spend 4300+ miles on two-lane highways and country roads, crossing eight states: We started in Los Angeles, crossed California, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and finally Tennessee (before going back from Atlanta, GA which i don't count as a state we crossed since we just took an interstate to the airport).

In our bag we had a Hasselblad 503CW with CFV-50c and I was shooting film with a 203FE and Kodak Portra 160. I will start with some of my images shot on film and then later might add some of my wife's images if you allow.

Our daily routine included shooting the places were we stayed overnight, which was mostly motels in small cities or even villages. It is such a
pleasure traveling the United States, lovely people all along the way, such a diverse landscape and every state has its own jewels that just wait
to be discovered. Its our second road trip in the US and definitely not the last one, hope you enjoy the images.

Best Regards,
Ralf

5943-1-P160-05.jpg

5943-1-P160-10.jpg

5944-2-P160-03.jpg

5944-2-P160-05.jpg

Last edited:

ggibson

Great collection of images. What is your method of scanning and processing the film? The colors look more stylized than I would expect from Portra 160.

rmueller

Hi,

thanks for the kind words. I use a lab here in Germany for the development and
scans of the film, it is meinfilmlab.de, they have Fuji Frontier machines for development and scanning. What i get back from them is a 16 bit TIFF which then I further process in PS. I mainly reduce vibrance, enhance shadow in the
raw converter and then apply a LUT in PS that creates this high contrast, cineatic
look.

Regards, Ralf.

Great collection of images. What is your method of scanning and processing the film? The colors look more stylized than I would expect from Portra 160.

dave.gt

Hi, Ralf,

Apologies for just now finding this obscure forum and thread. Why it took so long I don't know but I am very intrigued with your road trip!

These days, I am looking for purpose. In all things.

To see you and your wife doing a road trip with the Hasselblad V is a dream I had for years so it is really satisfying to see you actually did it and are planning on a return trip!:thumbs:

What are your plans now, a book? If so, please post your intentions here for all of us.

Being stranded here in Atlanta, I find your images mesmerizing and would love to see more.:)

Dave

rmueller

Dear Dave,

no worries whatsoever and thanks so much for the kind words, maybe my bad to create the thread here in the Analog Camera section.

A book would be great but is far away given the limited amount of time we spend and the number of images we have from the two road trips, might take many more to come up with something valuable. Having said that, we're in the process of planning another road trip, this time in winter and South Dakota again, maybe North Dakota and parts of Montana. This is pretty much inspired by the book "American Winter" by Gerry Johansson (MACK Publishing) and the fact that we love cold and snowy weather conditions.

Maybe I'm going to create another thread in the images section here and post some more images (and the ones my wife took as she's definitely the better photographer but keep that for yourself, she's not on this forum and I keep telling her she needs to improve her skills :ROTFL:)

We almost crossed paths Dave, we went back home from Atlanta. Next time around we'll stop by as we have close friends in Sewanee, TN.

Cheers,
Ralf

Hi, Ralf,

Apologies for just now finding this obscure forum and thread. Why it took so long I don't know but I am very intrigued with your road trip!

These days, I am looking for purpose. In all things.

To see you and your wife doing a road trip with the Hasselblad V is a dream I had for years so it is really satisfying to see you actually did it and are planning on a return trip!:thumbs:

What are your plans now, a book? If so, please post your intentions here for all of us.

Being stranded here in Atlanta, I find your images mesmerizing and would love to see more.:)

Dave

lookbook

... like everyone else, i am very impressed by your film work here.
it's great how you use individual images to create a continuous mood and tell a story.
you think you already know this story - but it's new, calm and exciting at the same time.

very good ralf!

Last edited:

Geoff

Totally missed this. Wonderful work - well done. Captured many things about the American landscape with lovely balance. Glad to have seen this all!