The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM 1 - Film advance problem after 30 advances

Umzugskarton

Hey,
I´m pretty new to analog photography and just bought a Olympus OM 1 from ebay. It makes beautiful images and I love to shoot with it.
Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the advancing mechanism after I shot about 30 pictures.
My first developed film had a multiple exposure on the 31st frame. And no further frames where exposed even though I fully advanced the film when shooting. I figuered I probably did something wrong so I shot and developed another fully shot film. It also showed multiple exposed pictures only this time after 30 pictures.

I already called a camera shop that sells and repairs analog cameras but the support was´nt really sure and would send the camera in, already charging 40€, eventual replacements or repairs not included. Therefore I wanted to ask if someone had a similar problem and knows a simple fix and if a repair is needed what price would be appropriate.

Thank you and king regards,
Umzugskarton

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hey,
I´m pretty new to analog photography and just bought a Olympus OM 1 from ebay. It makes beautiful images and I love to shoot with it.
Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the advancing mechanism after I shot about 30 pictures.
My first developed film had a multiple exposure on the 31st frame. And no further frames where exposed even though I fully advanced the film when shooting. I figuered I probably did something wrong so I shot and developed another fully shot film. It also showed multiple exposed pictures only this time after 30 pictures.

I already called a camera shop that sells and repairs analog cameras but the support was´nt really sure and would send the camera in, already charging 40€, eventual replacements or repairs not included. Therefore I wanted to ask if someone had a similar problem and knows a simple fix and if a repair is needed what price would be appropriate.

Umzugskarton
I had a similar problem with an OM-10 back in the day. Someone explained to me what the problem was, although I can't remember what, and I decided that it wasn't worthwhile fixing. The OM-10 is lower value though. If it was me, I'd buy a another body, at least if you don't have a repair shop in the city where you live.

pegelli

Hey,

Umzugskarton
Fortunately I never had such a problem with my Olympus cameras, I shot many years and had an OM1, OM2n, OM4 and OM10. Both cameras and lenses are a joy to work with and give very good results.

Regarding your problem I think it might not be worth fixing it (depending on the cost) vs. getting another body.

Two other ideas:
- Buy 24 exposure rolls or just stop after 30 frames on a 36 exposure roll
- watch the rewind crank when you're advancing the film. When it doesn't rotate anymore you'll know it's time to stop
(btw, this is a good custom shooting film cameras anyway, I made it a habit to watch the rewind knob/crank on all my cameras when advancing to the next frame,
and that way also caught a few times when I hadn't loaded the film properly)

Umzugskarton

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts with me - if I can find a cheap body I will replace it, currently there are no cheap offers on eBay. I may also consider giving it into repair since I‘m absolutely in love with this Camera.
If so I will gladly share the outcome and my experience.
Thanks a lot!

Satrycon

lots of info here

http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/PDFs/OM-1_exploded.pdf

The Olympus Hardware Resource Page

Hey,

Umzugskarton