Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

  1. #1
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    1,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    73

    Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    Now and then, a rotation of gear occurs because of different needs associated with projects, time of year, or just simply because it is good for the soul. The trusty old R4 has languished for too long. I have too much 35mm film, and I need a change-up.

    No lens though.

    A Cron will be all I can afford and that will be after the hospital bill is paid for in January. Any leads toward a good lens for purchase in January would be appreciated.

    In the meantime, who on this forum still has a Leica R? I miss my R8 and 80 Lux, but the R4 has its own charm.
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Place, WA.
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    R7 with 35mm Elmarit-R for me. Good luck with the 'cron search.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    Dave,

    Check the Camera West ebay stores ... they normally have some great condition R lenses ... at compelling prices.

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...westwc&_sop=16

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...rawest&_sop=16

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-50mm-...ry!76244!US!-1

    KEH another option.

    Regards,

    Bob
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member KeithDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Wiltshire UK
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    It is the turn of my R5 to be next to be loaded (probably with Tri-X given the time of year and dismal UK weather).
    Lenses? All Elmarit primes (35, 60 Macro & 90), plus the 21-35mm Vario Elmar.
    Good luck with your lens search.
    Emulsion Mania
    My Flickr Page
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1030

    Re: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post

    In the meantime, who on this forum still has a Leica R? I miss my R8 and 80 Lux, but the R4 has its own charm.
    Sadly, I have never owned an 80 Lux. Come to think of it, none of my Leica R lenses are Summiluxes.

    Gary
    SL2, R3 Safari, R4, R5, R6.2, R7, R8, R9.
    A few R Summicrons, Elmarits, Vario-Elmars and Telyt-Rs, but I don't have any of the really good Leica R APO lenses.

    Last of the line....
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    8,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    ... who on this forum still has a Leica R? ...
    Abashed hand raises from the back of the class...

    Yeah, I still have a Leicaflex SL and an R6.2, last of the mechanical shutter bodies. A full complement of lenses too: 15, 19, 28, 50 (2), 60M, 90, 100M, 135, 180, 2x telextender, plus focusing bellows and ELPROs. I use the lenses often with the CL; have used them with Sony A7, Leica M-P240, and SL as well.

    All wonderful stuff. I haven't shot much 35mm film in a while, concentrating on 120 roll film, Polaroid, and Minox in film recently. But it'll cycle back at some point.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    I have a similar "collection" as Godfrey. Most of the lenses are ROM.
    I also have the R9 and other bodies.

    I have not used film in a while but have used the lenses on the Sony 7II.

    I am presently finishing a 15 year book project on the History of the economics of Money, Gold, Crypto that will be printed in January.
    I used the 60mm to photograph numerous ancient coins etc. The book will have over 4000 images and will be printed in duotone for the 3D rendering of the coins.

    Paul
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    1,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    73

    Re: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Sadly, I have never owned an 80 Lux. Come to think of it, none of my Leica R lenses are Summiluxes.

    Gary
    SL2, R3 Safari, R4, R5, R6.2, R7, R8, R9.
    A few R Summicrons, Elmarits, Vario-Elmars and Telyt-Rs, but I don't have any of the really good Leica R APO lenses.

    Last of the line....
    Sigh... the R8 was such a nice camera. I do miss it. But hope springs eternal!
    Dave (GT)

  9. #9
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    1,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    73

    Re: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    Quote Originally Posted by camping View Post
    I have a similar "collection" as Godfrey. Most of the lenses are ROM.
    I also have the R9 and other bodies.

    I have not used film in a while but have used the lenses on the Sony 7II.

    I am presently finishing a 15 year book project on the History of the economics of Money, Gold, Crypto that will be printed in January.
    I used the 60mm to photograph numerous ancient coins etc. The book will have over 4000 images and will be printed in duotone for the 3D rendering of the coins.

    Paul
    Wow, 15 years???!!!
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    8,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica R4 returning for 2020.

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Sigh... the R8 was such a nice camera. I do miss it. But hope springs eternal!
    I had a black one: a lovely SLR indeed. But it was fussy, and I decided to keep the all mechanical Leicaflex SL and R6.2 instead since service and repairs on the R8 are now difficult. The Leicaflex SL and R6.2 have been 100% solid and consistent; they get used too little right now but are always a known quantity.

    The Leica SL (and now SL2) have been the digital R in my mind since it first shipped, and my SL was as consistent and reliable as the R6.2 and Leicaflex SL have always been.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •