The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Film Portraits

jdphoto

I've owned the Hasselblad 501cm and the Mamiya RZ and sold them here and there to fund other gear. I don't hoard camera gear, but now am looking to right this wrong by purchasing MF film gear again! I absolutely loved the RZ 110mm f/2.8 for very shallow DOF. The hot shoe and bellows focusing are a nice touch too. However, I would love a fully mechanical camera (yes, RZ shoots at 1/400th w/no battery), but love the build of the Hasselblad and it's a tad easier to handhold too. The 500CM is a camera I'm interested in and was curious what others would recommend for portraits w/ the 500CM? I've never used any other lens then the CF 80mm f/2.8, and actually think the RZ 110mm is nicer in rendering, so what are the other stellar V lenses with shallow DOF for portraits? Thanks for any input.

pgmj

The 150 and 180 V lenses are both very nice for portraits. The 180 is sharper. You’d need an extension ring to get reasonably short focus.

A much cheaper option could be a Mamiya C series TLR (c220 or c330) with 105/3.5 or 135/4.5 or 180/4.5. It uses bellows and is more flexible on close focus.

Last edited:

jdphoto

Not often thought of for portraits, but the 50mm Distagon f/4 does nicely to incorporate more elements of a scene. This was taken with a 500CM and a 50mm f/4 Distagon at f/4, 1/250th. Kodak Portra 400.

Last edited: