The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V series questions

jdphoto

I just purchased a 50mm Distagon for a 500CM. Wow, these are finicky! The slow speeds are anybody's guess and switching from self timer and "X" is also questionable. How does one get into the green speeds for long exposures? This particular lens won't let me turn the shutter speed either coupled or uncoupled from the aperture (EV values). Also, the DOF preview is slow and sticky. I understand these are older lenses, but i'm not sure I got what I paid for regarding this 50mm Distagon. Any hints?

Last edited:

Godfrey

I just purchased a 50mm Distagon for a 500CM. Wow, these are finicky! The slow speeds are anybody's guess and switching from self timer and "X" is also questionable. How does one get into the green speeds for long exposures? This particular lens won't let me turn the shutter speed either coupled or uncoupled from the aperture (EV values). Also, the DOF preview is slow and sticky. I understand these are older lenses, but i'm not sure I got what I paid for regarding this 50mm Distagon. Any hints?
I have the same lens, a 1973 model Zeiss Distagon 50mm f/4 T*. I don't find the lens "finicky" at all. You just have to understand how to operate it, and it has to be in good condition to operate consistently and reliably.

If the shutter is inconsistent, it needs to be serviced. Same for the self timer and X sync. The DoF preview should just click once, you can then rotate the shutter/aperture ring together to see different DoFs, and if you go to wide open in the course of doing that, the aperture setting will have been reset.

I presume you mean that the shutter speed ring will not turn past B, whether coupled or uncoupled from the aperture / EV Value scale. This is normal: The green indicator numerals on the shutter speed ring, from B onwards, simply matches up with the aperture settings to tell you what exposure time past 1 second you need at those aperture settings for the EV value you've set. In use, you set the speed ring at B and then, after reading the correct time pair from the ring for the EV setting you've select, you unlock the aperture ring and rotate it to set the aperture. The shutter speed must remain at B because you are manually timing the exposure.

You can find the year of your lens by going to http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu and inputting the lens serial number in the appropriate place on the page. If it needs service (and it most likely does at this age), look up David Odess. He does excellent service work on Hasselblad gear.

G

jdphoto

Ok, I understand these lenses now and really appreciate the DOF scale and features. Yes, perhaps not as intuitive to use as a CF, CFI,etc., but insanely good build quality. I'm very interested in the 100mm f/3.5 as a normal/short portrait lens and getting the 150mm Sonnar too. What about the 250 mm Sonnar any thoughts on this lens or even the 120mm M/P? My understanding is the 120 M/P is not so sharp at infinity, but stellar otherwise. I could get a 21mm tube for close ups on the 150mm Sonnar. Hasselblad prices seem good too.

Godfrey

Ok, I understand these lenses now and really appreciate the DOF scale and features. Yes, perhaps not as intuitive to use as a CF, CFI,etc., but insanely good build quality. I'm very interested in the 100mm f/3.5 as a normal/short portrait lens and getting the 150mm Sonnar too. What about the 250 mm Sonnar any thoughts on this lens or even the 120mm M/P? My understanding is the 120 M/P is not so sharp at infinity, but stellar otherwise. I could get a 21mm tube for close ups on the 150mm Sonnar. Hasselblad prices seem good too.
I have no experience with the 100mm f/3.5 or the Sonnar 250mm... I've used the Sonnar 150mm f/4 (an older model, ca 1969 IIRC, pre-T*) a bit, and have used the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 T* a good bit: both are lovely lenses, the 120mm is truly superb. (Yes, I own both of them.) I don't shoot either the 150 or 120 at infinity very often so can't really say much about sharpness at that focus setting. For close ups with the 150mm, I find a close-up lens is more convenient than an extension tube. I have a set of them (+1, +2, +3 diopter) that I carry when I'm carrying the 150 or 80 mm lenses. I have an extension tube that allows me to get to 1:1 with the 120mm but have only used it once.

I remember back in the day when owning any Hasselblad equipment was simply a dream that I couldn't afford. While good condition, good quality recent V system gear is still not cheap, I have been able to a nice bit of it now. Every time I take it out and look at the negatives I get out of it, I am delighted anew with just how superb this kit is. I can't wait to receive my 907x Special Edition! A digital Hasselblad medium format body and back that integrates with and extends use of my V system kit is, for me, a once in a lifetime joy. I can't wait for it to arrive and to start putting it to use! :D

G

Last edited:

KeithDM

I can't wait to receive my 907x Special Edition! A digital Hasselblad medium format body and back that integrates with and extends use of my V system kit is, for me, a once in a lifetime joy. I can't wait for it to arrive and to start putting it to use! :D

G
I look forward to seeing your results - and then will mutter "Get thee behind me Satan..." ;)

Godfrey

I look forward to seeing your results - and then will mutter "Get thee behind me Satan..." ;)
Just arrived back home from a movie. Looking at the empty streets and all the beautiful light out there on the way home, dang! I wish I had the 907x now. I'd go out wandering about midnight for the next week because there is a wealth of photo opportunities just waiting to be had. It will be the perfect camera for what I see out there now.

The 500CM is there too, but I want the digital back to capture what I intend with more consistency.. :)

G