The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica m to Canon F

jdphoto

I've been shooting with a Leica M2r and love the rangefinder experience, but lately I wanted a different FL instead of my 50mm 1.4 and older Canon FD lenses are very reasonably priced. I've been increasing my use of film for work, (portraits, weddings, etc.) and having some incredible tele's and wides are so tempting! I'm getting a Canon film camera and was curious if anyone shoots with FD lenses and could offer any input?

JoelM

I've used most of them in the past, but one gem of a lens that stands out is the 80-200 F4L lens. If you don't need the speed, this lens is crazy sharp and very reasonably priced. Currently, I use the 20-35 F3.5L lens and it is really good, but not up to modern standards. If you have questions about specific lenses, ask away. Most FD lenses are good buys these days, like Nikon AI-s lenses, and hold up quite well.

HTH,

Joel

jdphoto

Thanks Joel, I appreciate the input! I'm interested in the 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2 and a 300mm f/4 L. The 200mm f/2.8 would be considered too. For wides anything from 20-35mm primes would also be useful. Thanks again.

JoelM

I remember the 135 f2 was very good. The 85 f1.2 was only okay in the center until stopped down quite a bit. Point light sources on the edges were horrific. I liked the 200 f2.8, but don't remember using the 300 f4. The 300 f2.8 was a lovely lens, even the earlier fluorite version. Here's a nice site and comments that can give some good input on the wider lenses:

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/guide-canon-fd-lenses-digital-age-2/

Cheers,

Joel