Site Sponsors

Thread: Voyage Iran

Post Thanks / Like

Voyage Iran

Hi,

I had the opportunity to travel in Iran for almost 2 weeks during April. It was a fascinating trip and very different from everyday life in Europe. I had the chance to go to Teheran, Abianeh, Isfahan, Meybod, Yazd and Kashan before returning to Teheran.

I made this trip with my 3 kids and wife which meant that I couldn't spend hours on each and every spot that I considered photographic but in the end I hope to have brought back material which gives a nice travel impression.

I used a Hassy 500c/m with a 80mm as well as a Leica M4-2 with 35 or 50mm. Films were NPH400 / NPS 160 for Hassy and Tmax and Trix for the leica.

If you have any questions, I will be glad to try to answer them.

I will upload new ones when time permits but here a a few to start the thread.

Hope you will enjoy.

Cheers,

Isfahan:

Yazd:

Yazd:

Yazd:

Yazd:

William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Voyage Iran

William, they are all great but that last shot is absolutely mesmerizing. More please!

Post Thanks / Like

+1

Great stuff William... I like the way you capture the doorways and arches. The last and first shots are my favorites.

Thanks for sharing!

-Brad
    Last edited by BradleyGibson; 7th May 2009 at 19:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

William, Please keep them coming. The last one of the current set is spectacular.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, thanks for your kind comments!

Some more:

Yazd:

Kashan:

Yazd:

Abianeh:

Yazd:

William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like

Some more but this time with the m4-2:

Isfahan:

Yazd ( same scene as above but with BW film and smaller camera):

Isfahan ( with Hassy):

More to come...
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am really enjoying this thread. Your photos are amazing.

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by emmawest72 View Post
    Hi,

I had the opportunity to travel in Iran for almost 2 weeks during April. It was a fascinating trip and very different from everyday life in Europe. I had the chance to go to Teheran, Abianeh, Isfahan, Meybod, Yazd and Kashan before returning to Teheran.

I made this trip with my 3 kids and wife which meant that I couldn't spend hours on each and every spot that I considered photographic but in the end I hope to have brought back material which gives a nice travel impression.

I used a Hassy 500c/m with a 80mm as well as a Leica M4-2 with 35 or 50mm. Films were NPH400 / NPS 160 for Hassy and Tmax and Trix for the leica.

If you have any questions, I will be glad to try to answer them.

I will upload new ones when time permits but here a a few to start the thread.

Hope you will enjoy.

Cheers,
    Great images William but I'm curious how you decided on Iran for a vacation, I can understand its popularity in the past but it hasn't been on many people's must visit list in the recent years.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Cindy.

David,
    True, Iran is really not up there with the top tourist destinations. However, I have for long been intrigued by the country and always found it difficult to get an honest opinion living in Europe. As the medias tend to focus on the president and other leaders which certainly doesn't convey the best image of the country, I wanted to go there to make up my own opinion. I also felt it was important to bring my kids along so they would discover something very different from their everyday life and habits.

I could of course write a full essay on my travel impressions ( which I might do but I need more time for that...) but I can just say that people are very friendly but life is also quite different when you come from a completely free western country where you can say and do whatever you want. We were always welcomed and treated very well but I sometimes found it difficult to get an honest opinion about what people thought about their own country ( do not forget that Iran is an Islamic republic with its rules).

The trip was very interesting but it was not a pure relaxing vacation trip. However, my kids, my wife as well as myself did learn a lot through this trip which was the point not only about the country but also about ourselves.

Cheers
    W.
    William
    Website
    FB Page

ddk

Seems like you had some special times there which is nice, unfortunately it seems like politics and religion tend to divide rather than unify us but we grow richer from experiences like these. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your images here, William. I enjoyed seeing your Iran photos and reading your comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, well done, William.

I did the same several years back and spent 6 months living in China for just the same reasons you listed.

My wife (girlfriend at the time) joined me on this journey. The things we read and are told about these places tend to be true, but represent such a small slice of the truth, one can end up with quite a distorted view relative to personal, first-hand experience.

Thanks for sharing both the pictures and the motivation behind them.

Best regards,
    -Brad

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

William, you have done what I wished I would have done earlier in life. It makes photography take meaning and integration into life.

At first I thought to comment that perhaps a bit more contrast or punch would be helpful ... but upon reflection I realized it was a thought born from a polluted eye, where everything has become homogenized by artificially induced dazzle ... subjugating subtile color and nuance like a school yard bully.

Bravo!

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Nice photos! emmawest72

I never made to Iran, but some years ago I was flying home at 30.000 feet, looking at the wonderful landscape of Iran. Something I didn't expect: there was a lot of snow.
    Last edited by Y Sol; 7th February 2010 at 12:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful Series William... I have been eagerly awaiting these shots since Your 'what was in your bag' thread

Its abit of what I thought I would see but would LOVE to see more

Best- H

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for all your comments.

Helen, you can check my flickrstream for more. I'm a bit over my head in work for the moment but hope to start posting more soon...

Thanks
    W.
    William
    Website
    FB Page