Site Sponsors

Thread: Wides for the Leicaflex SL2?

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wides for the Leicaflex SL2?

I need a wide for my SL2. I was leaning to the 21/3.4 but it can be used because the SL2 has no mirror lock up. That leaves me with the 21/4 retrofocus design which Puts doesn't think well of.

Anyother options which used are under 1K?

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wides for the Leicaflex SL2?

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I need a wide for my SL2. I was leaning to the 21/3.4 but it can be used because the SL2 has no mirror lock up. That leaves me with the 21/4 retrofocus design which Puts doesn't think well of.

Anyother options which used are under 1K?
    The older 19/2.8 elmarit is a very good performer ....except for the wave distortion. It doesn t match the newer version but neither does anything else. The older 19 has the Leica look ..excellent contrast . The 24 is much maligned but if stopped down also produces excellent results. I used my copy at 5.6 . Salgado uses a 24 on I believe a R6 with tri x ...was used a lot in his recent book on Africa.

As an aside one of my friends that knows him told me his methods ..he uses tri x rated at 320 (to increase dynamic range) . On the R6 he is using the 24 and the macro 60. many of his images are directly into the sunlight.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Wides for the Leicaflex SL2?

The older 19/2.8 looks to me the way to go. My four lenses for the SL2 will be the 180/3.4 APO, 90/2.0 Cron, 50mm Cron and the older 19/2.8.

With my Canon, Zeiss and zuiko, I have 14mm 21, 24, 35 covered in the digital DSLR world. So the 19 with a HappypageHK adapter I'll fill that 14-21 hole and have a dual use lens.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston