Site Sponsors

Thread: Tar Dance

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tar Dance

recent experiments in outdated, small format film ... :-)

Tar Dance - Sunnyvale 2009

"Set your eye free to wander beyond your surroundings, let your imagination see beyond."

slide show: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphot...76786030/show/
    set page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphot...7621276786030/

tech info:
    exposure Contax Tix, Fuji New Reala F100
    scan Nikon Coolscan IV ED
    process Lightroom 2

Comments always appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tar Dance

This is one of the nicest examples of abstract photography that I've seen in quite a while. Please tell us more about how you made the shots.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Godfrey. It reminds me of Japanese (Zen) brushwork on paper scrolls.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for looking, Mike and Diane!

Quote Originally Posted by popum View Post
    This is one of the nicest examples of abstract photography that I've seen in quite a while. Please tell us more about how you made the shots.
    Well, there's not much to tell. I'm working with a bunch of very outdated film and seeing what I can get from it. I set the camera to f/2.8 or f/4, set the EV compensation to +1.5, and go looking for photo ops. Film is processed at the local lab and scanned on a Nikon LS-IV. At first I was looking to do B&Ws, but I was playing with some ideas inspired by Japanese calligraphy (good call, Diane! ;-) and liked what happened with a color rendering more. They're full frame, no cropping, and a kind of "inverted vignette" or beveled edge effect happened when I made a mistake on some settings. I liked it and developed it a little further.

Most of it was seeing these things and then abstracting them into the seemings of language ... then I saw the dance which made the title of the set and the names.

I made a couple of them into hand-printed notecards ... they really look nice printed on a heavy, slightly coarse textured paper. I'll be offering them as part of a two or three movement folio set, or as a boxed set of hand-made notecards.